Return of the Trident! - Seattle Mariners Concept

SplashBoogie

The genesis of this actually came while I was working on a Hartford Whalers concept at work. I kept trying to play with the W to become a harpoon but I couldn't get the H right. Then I flipped the harpoon and got a trident and the rest as they say is history.

tumblr_o1lcvnkBck1ufhi8uo1_1280.png

The new Primary Logo brings back the Trident modified for a 2016 look. The Gold used is lifted straight from the 1977 Cap Logo, while the new shade of blue is 50% the classic royal blue and 50% the Mariners current shade of blue.

tumblr_o1lcvnkBck1ufhi8uo5_1280.png
tumblr_o1lcvnkBck1ufhi8uo2_1280.png

The two letter set up for the primary logo got me thinking to have two different caps for home and road (and attached is a concept for the alt cap that uses the classic colors). Naturally S is on the road cap and the Trident-M is on the home.
tumblr_o1lcvnkBck1ufhi8uo8_1280.png
The Script logo is an updated version of the wordmark used from 1977-1979. The font used is called "Ravencroft" which I chose for mix of sharp points and wavy edges the letters (particularly how the middle of the M comes to a point and how the R and N mirror the I grabbed my attention even though playing with the M to make a trident didn't work)
tumblr_o1lcvnkBck1ufhi8uo3_1280.png
tumblr_o1lcvnkBck1ufhi8uo6_1280.png

And last but not least are the wordmarks for the uniforms which I'm still working on. I adjusted the road grey color to be more blue compared to the current greys which have a green tint to them. There will be at least one alt jersey in royal or powder blue.

As always C+C is always welcome and I hope you enjoy this rebrand as much as I did making it! Cap designs, uniforms and MLB Required Roundel Logo coming in due time!

altcap.png

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

This is a really interesting concept.  There is a lot I really like about it.  My favorite is the Mariners wordmark.  The bottom looks great because it is mirrored (except for the M at the beginning, but I don't think it throws off the look of the mark).  The Seattle wordmark isn't as strong because the A hangs below everything else; nothing else matches it.  Try making the second T have a matching tail so that it is also symmetrical... or you could get rid of the A's tail.

I do agree with @PaperThin, the trident looks a little off without the S intertwined in it.  I'm not really sure what it is, though.  I think the primary mark is much stronger than the separated and S logos.  I suggest putting that logo on all of the hats.

(Also, get ready for some what the upside-down trident means comments.  I don't have as big of a problem as some people, but it is a little odd that a team called the Mariners would use a bad-luck symbol for mariners.)

award%20sig.png

I think maybe the center tine of the trident looks off because the sides don't line up above and below where the "S" crosses over (see red lines). Also I think the "M" is especially lost because it seems to go behind the center of the trident (see the red circle), I think maybe if you joined the "M" with the center tine, or put the "M" in front of the middle tine, the "M" would be more legible. Great concept though! 

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 7.08.34 PM.png

sig-01_zpsb2ab3976.png

16 hours ago, davidmiller5 said:

This is a really interesting concept.  There is a lot I really like about it.  My favorite is the Mariners wordmark.  The bottom looks great because it is mirrored (except for the M at the beginning, but I don't think it throws off the look of the mark).  The Seattle wordmark isn't as strong because the A hangs below everything else; nothing else matches it.  Try making the second T have a matching tail so that it is also symmetrical... or you could get rid of the A's tail.

I do agree with @PaperThin, the trident looks a little off without the S intertwined in it.  I'm not really sure what it is, though.  I think the primary mark is much stronger than the separated and S logos.  I suggest putting that logo on all of the hats.

(Also, get ready for some what the upside-down trident means comments.  I don't have as big of a problem as some people, but it is a little odd that a team called the Mariners would use a bad-luck symbol for mariners.)

I've never known about the upside down trident thing. I pulled the idea from the past logos. Interesting to know though! As far as the tails on the letters go I definitely see what you're saying and I think that is something I'm going to tweak on the back end.

15 hours ago, LogoMark said:

I think maybe the center tine of the trident looks off because the sides don't line up above and below where the "S" crosses over (see red lines). Also I think the "M" is especially lost because it seems to go behind the center of the trident (see the red circle), I think maybe if you joined the "M" with the center tine, or put the "M" in front of the middle tine, the "M" would be more legible. Great concept though! 

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 7.08.34 PM.png

Yes this is a product of the font in part in that the loops from the S aren't quite a perfect oval. I'll try a tweak with the trident coming in front of the S at the top and then through at the bottom to see if the M reads better.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

2 hours ago, SplashBoogie said:

Second pass on the primary logo

-M Trident comes in front of the S and is symmetrical, as a result the trident is a little fatter.
-Trident sides angle up to make the M more apparent

Thoughts?

logo vector2.png

Big improvement! Can't wait to see the full uniform set.

There's so much to love about this concept.  The individual letter logos are great, the Mariners word mark is great, and the revised primary is much much improved over the original.

I agree with the poster who mentioned the tweaks that could be made on the Seattle wordmark.  The tail on the second T would make it look a lot nicer.  I also think you could try adjusting the middle prong of the E to look similar to the tailsame on the S.

4 hours ago, SplashBoogie said:

Sorry to have been gone for so long: I got a new job at the office and been finalizing stuff with that offer. BUT THAT'S NOT WHY YOU'RE HERE SO LET'S SEE SOME UNIFORMS!

alternateuniform.png

homeuniform.png

roaduniform.png

Overall the unis look good. The wordmark on the home and road unis and the numbers on all three look a little oversized, though.

Archived