Super Bowl LI

buckeyecal

Just going over the online edition of the SB 50 game program (hozinc.com/sb50/). And on pg. 257 of the magazine, caught a glimpse of SBLI logo.

I'ts not like the template of SB XLV-XLIX. It's been tweaked. The roman numerals are on either side of the trophy and SUPER BOWL is underneath, similar to SB50

logo and it has a touch of color....so if anyone was interested to check it out and possibly scan it so everyone could see....Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's... better? 

I dunno, I'm getting sick of this standardization of Super Bowl logos. I do like how the "LI" is on top of "Super Bowl," however. It would be terribly unbalanced if it were on the bottom.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it does look a little odd with the Lombardi trophy awkwardly positioned between the L and I. Lateral move, really. 

Ehhhhh....

I get the standardization of the Super Bowl logos. The last few were not executed the right way, but the secondary logos were almost perfection, especially last year's. You can honestly use the same font(s) every year, change up the stylization depending on the location, and call it a day. The chromed out logos had the right idea, but the reliance on gradients killed them. The flat versions had potential, but still needed an identifying color scheme for the host city.

This new logo is fine, at best. They actually have color that represents Houston. The Texans wear red! That's great! But other than that, it's not really that spectacular. The gradients, once again, give it a sterile look, that kinda works for a possible space theme, but there's little character from it. I'm sure some city imagery will be in the logo, but if not, woof. This way of standardization will be tough to endure.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

8 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Interesting, but I suspect that'd be hard to make a multi-year template out of, as it'd get a little lopsided with LII, let alone LIII or should it last that long, LVIII.

I'd say that's at least a good thing, since they will have to change things up year to year. I like not knowing what the logo will look like year to year, even though it will always be a variation of bad with the current template, but better than the same old thing.

I think one of the biggest issues with the standardized logos was just how horrendous they looked without the stadium motif. The lombardi trophy just too too much space up top. By putting the 50 behind/around the trophy, the deadspace in the logo goes away and looks more compact. The color variation actually really heightens this year's logo, as well. So, putting the numbers, arabic or roman, around the trophy or behind/infront of the trophy looks better.

It could easily be:

L   I

L   II

L   III

L   IV

L   V

L   VI

LV  II

LV  III

L    IX

L    X

L    XI

LX  II

LX  III

LX  IV

LX  V

LX  VI

LX VII

LX VIII

LX  IX

LX  X

LX  XI

LX  XII

LX  XIII

It gets a tad unruly after that. Personally, I"m against them. But, the idea of reintroducing the importance of the number helps placate me. The Super Bowl, each one, becomes an event. It's number is part of its name. As a sports fan, you can tell me Super Bowl 35 and I can tell you instantly Ravens-Giants in Tampa. If you ask me '1998 World Series' I have no clue. Because there's no reinforcement of the year or number the way the NFL has had for decades. The number makes the game. And not to say that MLB doesn't reference the year, but they tend to do so in such meager fashion.

I remember the Diamondbacks-Yankees World Series with Randy Johnson closing out the series, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you what year it was without looking it up. Or which series was before or after it.

Ugh...  I like the fact that they added color, but I mean come on, It looks really goofy. The Lombardi trophy in the middle, at first glance, gives it the illusion that it's really LII and not LI. There's too much space as well between the roman numerals and the Lombardi trophy. Overall it's an ever-so slight improvement just because they added color, but it's still the same bland generic logo we've seen the past 5 years now.

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

I remember the Diamondbacks-Yankees World Series with Randy Johnson closing out the series, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you what year it was without looking it up. Or which series was before or after it.

You must be young.

(I don't mean it in a patronizing way, but that's a heck of a Series to use for that example.)

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

You must be young.

(I don't mean it in a patronizing way, but that's a heck of a Series to use for that example.)

33. But, I don't remember what year. I know it was early 2000s, but I couldn't tell you. Now, if it were the Indians, I could tell you they lost to Atlanta 4-2 in 95 and 4-3 to Florida in 97. But that's because it's my team. Other teams, I might remember a particularly remarkable series (such as the ARI-NYY series there), but it's just one of many. In the NFL, the Super Bowl IS it's own thing. Each one identifiable.  MLB doesn't pound the number or year into your head the way the NFL does. Which helps keep it in your mind.

2 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

33. But, I don't remember what year. I know it was early 2000s, but I couldn't tell you. Now, if it were the Indians, I could tell you they lost to Atlanta 4-2 in 95 and 4-3 to Florida in 97. But that's because it's my team. Other teams, I might remember a particularly remarkable series (such as the ARI-NYY series there), but it's just one of many. In the NFL, the Super Bowl IS it's own thing. Each one identifiable.  MLB doesn't pound the number or year into your head the way the NFL does. Which helps keep it in your mind.

Harumph.  Maybe I'm in the minority then, but I'll always remember that Series two months after 9/11.

Just now, Cosmic said:

Harumph.  Maybe I'm in the minority then, but I'll always remember that Series two months after 9/11.

I generally don't remember sports championships in correlation to world events. I'll always remember the Denver Broncos hosted the New York Giants on Monday Night Football the day before 9/11 and Ed McCaffrey suffered a bad injury. I watched that game. Then went to sleep a few hours later and woke shortly after the second tower collapsed. So, that's ingrained. But, that's about it.

On January 30, 2016 at 10:52 PM, Pharos04 said:

a visual pulled from that site to start the conversation

ED4FiBG.png

Red makes sense if you've seen the host committee's branding. 

-SQAVxYH.jpg

Maybe color supplants the regional stadium logo. If so, it's Purple for SB52 in Minnesota.

NYCdog.png

Archived