Visiting team names in endzones

cmm

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Re-read sc49erfan's post.  That's not what he was implying, especially when he said " you've got to think they just modified the "WN" to "NCO" ".  That means they kept the BRO on the field and modifed the rest...but they clearly repainted the whole word..  You'd think he'd have corrected me last year.  

Sorry, didn't see the date on the post. Figured it was recent. Nevermind then.

As much as I hate opposing teams names and logos on the field, I have to say there's something special about these old images. Speaks to a different time, when the grounds crew and stadium officials treated these games like a Super Bowl.

NSFCvyu.png

28 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I would love for this tradition to return for the NFL playoffs. Would add a great BIG GAME visual to the postseason that other field markings don't.

My problem with the current postseason markings is that the current playoff logos don't pop out like before.

XM4KeeA.png

34 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

that dull grey just blends in with the rest of the field markings. I didn't even notice it for awhile during the games last week

Agreed 100 percent. 

This is so visually interesting but not intrusive. It's unique, and would bring some novel possibilities. A Packers endzone at Soldier Field or a Broncos design at Arrowhead would be jarring but awesome. 

The Saints painted an endzone for the Rams for the Saints' first ever game

The Saints did this for some games in their first four years in the league. That was when Tulane Stadium still had grass. There is a clip in the 1970 Lions-Saints game from the '70 NFL highlight film that vaguely looks like the Lions logo around the 30 or so. And there is another clip from that season from that film where it's obvious they painted a Rams end zone because the background was navy blue and you could see part of the Rams logo on the right side of the end zone.

Once they switched to turf at Tulane Stadium in 1971, the field there had no logos in the end zone or at midfield for Saints games.

7 hours ago, cheo25 said:

The Saints did this for some games in their first four years in the league. That was when Tulane Stadium still had grass. There is a clip in the 1970 Lions-Saints game from the '70 NFL highlight film that vaguely looks like the Lions logo around the 30 or so. And there is another clip from that season from that film where it's obvious they painted a Rams end zone because the background was navy blue and you could see part of the Rams logo on the right side of the end zone.

Once they switched to turf at Tulane Stadium in 1971, the field there had no logos in the end zone or at midfield for Saints games.

From the Dempsey field goal game:

Untitled.jpg

I remember watching Giants games at Texas Stadium and thinking how weird it was to see a Giants goal post pad thingie in an endzone that said "Cowboys". Looked very unbalanced for lack of a better word.

Archived