MLS Kits 2017 (BONUS: 2016 All Star Game kit posted 3/7)

upperV03

This is a concept I made for the Portland Timbers' 2017 Primary Kit. Recently Merritt Paulson, the club owner, hinted on twitter that the next primary kit could possibly look similar to the green and gold third kit of the last two seasons, but in a "classic", rather than "retro" fashion. I decided to make a concept fitting that description, while at the same time keeping the classic green/white/green primary kit combination:

Timbers2016.png.92b2e5c1b1c8244d6565586f

Credit for the template goes to raysox, and, as always, any C&C is welcomed and appreciated.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna end up making this a series where I design the kits that will be due for a change come the 2017 season so you can all look forward to that. I'll do the teams in a random order most likely, and I'll have the NYCFC primary up next. But until then, any C&C on the Timbers' primary would be great.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Thank you both for the kind words. And nas187, I set out to do just that; combine the class of the previous third kit with the traditional (at least in MLS) primary look for the Timbers, so I'm glad you like it. Next up I have NYCFC, who will be due for a new home kit in 2017. I've seen numerous NYCFC concepts with pinstripes, which I believe would be a very nice and smart look for them, but to my recollection I have never quite seen one with the pinstripe design I implemented. I used feint pinstripes in the pattern of white/orange/blue/white/orange/blue/white, which come together in the center to form blue/white/orange, which of course is the striping of the New York City Flag. Everything else is pretty much self-explanatory, and the white shorts are the primary shorts, with the navy ones as an alternate. Hope you enjoy and feel free to leave C&C on the Timbers kit or this:

NYCFC2016.png.5c71597d3d1583cd9f7bda05c2

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 minutes ago, timberwolf said:

I like it a lot. My only little nitpick is the orange seems to bleed into the light blue to make it look gold. Could be just the image, though. Very nice set!

I believe it is just the image because on my computer it definitely looks orange. The pinstripes are meant to be subtle though so the colors aren't super bright and defined, and I could certainly understand how the orange could appear as though it bleeds into it a touch.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, timberwolf said:

That makes sense. Any idea on your next team?

I'll have the Galaxy (they'll be due for a new secondary in 2017) up next. A little hint: a slight homage to the past and a complete departure from the past few secondary kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

16 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

Really liking the series so far. If you do the Revs, is there any chance you give them a new logo/crest? At this point almost anything is an upgrade.

I hadn't planned on doing any logo/crest makeovers, but we'll see how much time I have in the coming weeks. I agree the Revs definitely need a new crest, but I'm not going to make any promises that I will design one. Like I said, we'll see. I'm glad you're liking the series so far, though, and I will definitely get to the Revs in due time.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Alright, seeing as I haven't gotten much C&C on the past two teams I've posted, I've decided to just go ahead and post the third team; the LA Galaxy. As I already said, they"ll be due for a new secondary in 2017. Their secondary kits since going to the blue and yellow color scheme have been pretty uninspired IMO, and so I decided to change things up entirely. Since this year's home kit seems to be a slight homage to the away kits of old, I went ahead and made the 2017 secondary kit a slight homage to the yellow home kits that made them famous in the 2000's. A bold yellow shirt with a simple navy gradient sash is paired with navy shorts and yellow socks. I want to make it clear that the white shorts are simply the shorts of the home kit, which I thought was a better alternative than making yellow shorts. As always C&C on any of the kits is much appreciated, and here you go:

Galaxy2016.png.74046e4bff887a029b241043e

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Just adding an extra pair of shorts does wonders for these teams. I like the Galaxy away. I'd try sneaking bitsof green in ad well,  somewhere in the sash. Maybe use a chevron instead so the kit doesn't seem to be a recolor of the home kits.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

29 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Just adding an extra pair of shorts does wonders for these teams. I like the Galaxy away. I'd try sneaking bitsof green in ad well,  somewhere in the sash. Maybe use a chevron instead so the kit doesn't seem to be a recolor of the home kits.

I actually did try implementing some green into the kit but for whatever reason the green and blue just really wasn't working together for my taste. And the reason I used the sash was to have another small tribute to the yellow kits of the past, and I feel as if the sash would be different enough than the one featured on this season's home kit: 

image.jpeg

Plus, the sash has really become their thing in MLS, so I don't think it would be that big of an issue to have two kits with one.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Thank you both for the kind words. And nas187, I set out to do just that; combine the class of the previous third kit with the traditional (at least in MLS) primary look for the Timbers, so I'm glad you like it. Next up I have NYCFC, who will be due for a new home kit in 2017. I've seen numerous NYCFC concepts with pinstripes, which I believe would be a very nice and smart look for them, but to my recollection I have never quite seen one with the pinstripe design I implemented. I used feint pinstripes in the pattern of white/orange/blue/white/orange/blue/white, which come together in the center to form blue/white/orange, which of course is the striping of the New York City Flag. Everything else is pretty much self-explanatory, and the white shorts are the primary shorts, with the navy ones as an alternate. Hope you enjoy and feel free to leave C&C on the Timbers kit or this:

NYCFC2016.png.5c71597d3d1583cd9f7bda05c2

That's nice.  I like it. 

One thing to keep in mind - NYCFC almost never puts orange next to sky blue. Orange is almost always bordered by navy. Not that it matters for concepts, but if you want to stick to something they might actually do, that's an aesthetic rule they've set down. 

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's nice.  I like it. 

One thing to keep in mind - NYCFC almost never puts orange next to sky blue. Orange is almost always bordered by navy. Not that it matters for concepts, but if you want to stick to something they might actually do, that's an aesthetic rule they've set down. 

Yep, I knew that when I made this concept, and that's one reason why the pinstripes are so feint; they're not meant to be super noticeable like the Yankees' pinstripes and would have a similar effect to the pinstripes on the new RSL primary (except obviously a little more visible and in the different colors): 

image.thumb.jpeg.be4118a2c033e8081b73925

Again, the pinstripes are meant to be subtle, and IMO that application could be an exception to the "rule" they've seemingly set. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Alright, next up I have Orlando City, who will be due for a new primary in 2017. With such a bold signifying color as purple, I felt as if the primary kit for OCSC needed to be fairly simple in-order to let the purple be the real star of the kit. Their current primary is very simple, and so I decided to take a similar route. Instead of sublimated hoops, I decided to make a half and half design, with a darker purple on the side of the crest. Often times half and half designs have the opposite colors on the opposite sleeves, but I decided to make it a little different and leave the sleeves the color of the respective sides of the shirt (Like the current Galatasary kit and the Barca kit of 2008). Slight gold accenting on the collar and crest add a bit of color and a sublimated lion from the crest is placed on the lower back of the shirt, with the colors flipped with the colors of the respective sides of the shirt. Anyways, here you go:

OrlandoCity2016.png.ccc0505db6a51cbc8771

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

The double purple is fantastic. I would have tried to fit in a little more gold, but overall it looks really nice.

Thank you for the kind words, it's much appreciated. I did try and add some more gold, but I struggled in finding subtle ways to incorporate it. Overall, I think I'm happy with what I finished with though.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived