MLS Kits 2017 (BONUS: 2016 All Star Game kit posted 3/7)

upperV03

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am back this morning with the 2017 kit for Sporting Kansas City, which will be a new primary. SKC has set the bar extremely high with their kits of late, and so this was probably my biggest challenge thus far. All of SKC's recent kits have been very classy, and so I wanted to continue that with this design. I decided to move away from the henley collar for this kit, and instead use a solid "dark indigo" collar, with cuffs in the same color. On the front and lower back of the shirt there are sublimated checkered hoops, with the checkered pattern being a subtle tribute to the supporters of the club and the checkered flags that can be found around the supporters' sections in Children's Mercy Park. The primary shorts are dark indigo, with the sporting blue as an alternate, while the socks are light blue with subtle hoops to finish off the classy look. Hope you enjoy!

SKC2016.png.3917437befaa19afecf3d56f104c

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

14 minutes ago, ThatsSoSpursy said:

I really like both of these. The kit for Columbus can also work as a secondary if they would want to bring back a yellow primary.

I like how you put the checkerd flag inclusion for SKC. Well done!

Thanks, I appreciate it. And that is one thought that I had when making the Columbus kit, and I think it could make for a really nice secondary paired with the black shorts IF they did decide to bring back yellow as a primary. And yeah, the checkered pattern for SKC has been underutilized in their branding IMO, and so I wanted to include it so it could tie in to their supporters and be a little different from their past kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Next up is the Chicago Fire, who will be due for a new secondary next season. I am a big fan of the current Chicago secondary, and the inclusion of the flag elements just seems like a natural fit, so I carried those over into this new kit. I wanted to simplify some things from the current secondary kit, and also utilize a vertical Chicago flag-esque stripe, rather than another chest stripe. The vertical stripe runs below the crest, with the four red stars from the flag right above the hemline acting as the jock tag. Red adorns the adidas stripes, cuffs, and collar, while the adidas and sponsor logos, along with the names and numbers, are navy blue. The sponsor logo going above the vertical stripe is unfortunate, but pretty much unavoidable. Light blue shorts are the primary option, with white adidas stripes to create the striping pattern from the Chicago flag, and white shorts are an alternate. White socks with the same striping as the shirt finish off the kit. C&C welcomed and appreciated.

ChicagoFire2016.png.729d20da7e7cb11c912b

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Alright, I'm coming to you this morning with RSL, who will be due for a new secondary in 2017. I believe I saw on twitter after they launched their new primary kit that the new secondary next season will NOT be gold, but from what I have seen, fans have been clamoring for a victory gold kit for years. What I came up with is indeed a victory gold kit, paired with red socks, just like their first gold kit. This time, and just like this season's primary kit, the sleeves are not contrast colored, and are instead just solid gold. Alternating thin and thick subtle pinstripes adorn the front and back of the shirt, while claret is used as the primary accent, with cobalt serving as the color of the names, numbers, and sponsor logos. I know I have already made yellow kits for both LA and Colorado, but I feel the abundance of red in this kit and the yellow shorts help to distinguish this from the other two. As mentioned, yellow shorts are the primary option, and the red shorts from the primary kit are to be used only if necessary. Anyways, C&C on this and/or the Chicago kit would be much appreciated, and here you go:

RSL2016.png.604e01dd7ca8a252eda0196cee46

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

25 minutes ago, timberwolf said:

I love the Fire. The inspiration is a no-brainer.

RSL looks good as well. I love their colours.

Thanks, timberwolf. Yeah, Chicago has a great flag and I've loved all of their efforts to include it in their past kits, so it really was a no-brainier to include it again. And it's always been a shame for me that RSL has used white away kits when they have such a great color palette to work with, so that was a no-brainier as well. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Today I have for you the 2017 secondary kit for the Seattle Sounders. Their white away kits they unveiled last season were not very well received by fans as good as I could tell, so I wanted to return to something a little closer to the secondary kits that came before them. This kit would be the so-called "Puget Sound kit", of course paying tribute to the sound that the club's name is based off of. The shirt features a gradient fading from Sounder blue to Cascade Shale, representing the water of the Puget Sound. In addition, subtle wavy lines are sublimated onto the shirt, becoming more prevalent as the gradient turns from blue to grey. The club's famous rave green adorns the adidas stripes, cuffs, and collar. Grey shorts and socks are the primary option to complete the gradient look, but blue shorts and socks would be available as well. Anyways, here you go, and C&C is always welcomed:

Sounders2016.png.ac0ba1c273d31119aa6cfe4

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

I like it. The grey shorts would work the best imo

Yeah, definitely. I just included the blue shorts because I have been including two short options for all of the teams, so I wanted to keep it consistent. But realistically, their would really be no need for the blue shorts anyways.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

As I have today off, I've been able to get some extra work done on these concepts, and so I have San Jose done as well. They will (finally) be getting a new primary in 2017, but really their current primary is about as close to perfect as possible IMO, so I wanted to just make some small adjustments. In my iteration, I decided to go for a black henley collar, rather than a v-neck collar, to match up with the black sleeves. The pattern from the crest is now sublimated in a larger fashion on the bottom of the shirt, fading as it goes up the shirt. The sleeves feature a sliver of red trim, as do the blue socks and the jocktag. Everything else should be self-explanatory, so take a look:

Quakes2016.png.acc9603dadb4a65271462c4b0

C&C on this, the Seattle kit, or any of the others is still much appreciated and welcomed. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

San Jose is definitely one of my favorites so far. Love the subtle use of red

Thanks, ahowe6464. It's one of my favorites that I have done thus far as well. I'll likely be doing Montreal next and then maybe Toronto after that, btw.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I have been away for the last couple of days so here's my opinion on the last few

Chicago: I like how this one pairs well with the style of their new primary. I also like the original inclusion of the flag.

RSL: I love the yellow for RSL. and the simplicty of the design is very refreshing to see compared to other secondary we have seen this year (Ex: Columbus)

Seattle: Not sure how i feel about this one. The shade of blue is just a little to dark for me. But its probably because i loved the black and green kit so much

San Jose: I think that for San Jose the stripes and adidas logo should be black and the buttons on the collar blue but otherwise it is wonderful

Overall great job on all of these. Cant wait to see wait Montreal!

1 hour ago, ThatsSoSpursy said:

I have been away for the last couple of days so here's my opinion on the last few

Chicago: I like how this one pairs well with the style of their new primary. I also like the original inclusion of the flag.

RSL: I love the yellow for RSL. and the simplicty of the design is very refreshing to see compared to other secondary we have seen this year (Ex: Columbus)

Seattle: Not sure how i feel about this one. The shade of blue is just a little to dark for me. But its probably because i loved the black and green kit so much

San Jose: I think that for San Jose the stripes and adidas logo should be black and the buttons on the collar blue but otherwise it is wonderful

Overall great job on all of these. Cant wait to see wait Montreal!

Thanks for the feedback, sir. The changes you suggested for the Quakes kit sound pretty good, but I think I'm happy with the current final product, and since the other repsonses seemingly have been positive, I'm gonna leave it as is. And for the Seattle kit, it is pretty dark but I think the gradient with the Sounders blue on the top of the shirt helps make it a little more colorful than say the secondary kits of 2012/13 and 2014. Again, though, I really appreciate your continued feedback and interest!

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived