MLS Kits 2017 (BONUS: 2016 All Star Game kit posted 3/7)

upperV03

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I have the 2017 secondary kit for the Montreal Impact. Their recently unveiled primary kit is nearly perfect, and their current secondary isn't bad either. With that in mind, I wanted to keep things fairly simple with this design, and was inspired in part by the jocktag on the new primary kit. My design features a white shirt with a light grey cross on the front, which is an ode to both the flag of Montreal and the flag of Quebec. Blue is used as the accent color, with black trim on the cuffs and collar, as well a stripe on the socks. The jocktag is the same as the new primary kit, with the four symbols from the Montreal flag. Blue shorts are the primary option, with white as an alternate. Here you go:

Montreal2016.png.d81d2e1736006bfb8fe2c05

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I'm back today with the last of the Canadian clubs, Toronto FC. They will be due for a new primary next season. Their primary kit that they unveiled last season was a fairly conservative look, but one that still managed to be bold and effective. With this kit, I wanted to introduce another classic and understated design, and I tried to do that by introducing a thick, dark grey, vertical stripe on the left chest under the crest as the main feature. At the hemline, and within the vertical stripe, is a red cutout of the maple leaf from the canada flag, which adds a bit of flair to an otherwise simple kit. Dark grey is used as the primary accent color, with white for the sponsor logos and names/numbers. In case anyone asks, I opted to use KIA as the sponsor because I have heard their name being tossed around as a likely replacement for BMO. Anyways, hope you enjoy and here you go:

TFC2016.png.beea737a45e6926a6f3a0e538a9b

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Montreal: Love it. I did not really like their new away kit last year but this one is beautiful. Just the simplicity of the design is perfect and reflects well the city and province(and the ones outside the province like me would also like it)

Toronto: Not a big fan of this one. I think maybe if the stripe would be horizontal across the chest it would be better. You could still retain the maple leaf at the bottom if it would be onyx.

Thanks for your comments on the Montreal and Toronto kits. I'm pretty happy with how the Toronto kit came out, so I'm going to keep it as is, but I do value and appreciate all of the opinions shared in this thread. Anyways, today I have the 2017 primary kit for the New York Red Bulls. Seeing as their recently unveiled secondary kit for this season has a couple of Metrostars tributes, I figured I would continue that onto the 2017 primary. With this kit, I decided to use the vertical stripes that the Metrostars were known for, but this time they are sublimated and are very subtle. On the bottom right of the shirt, just above the hemline, the old shield of the Metrostars is sublimated into the vertical stripe, which is meant to be another very subtle tribute to the original MLS franchise. Everything else should be self-explanatory. And before anyone makes a comment about this, I know the back of the shirt is very cluttered, but it's how it is in reality, and I have wanted to be as realistic as possible with these designs. C&C welcomed, and here you go:

NYRB2016.png.23331431674ce49f522e224477f

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Strong designs across the board. My favorite to date is probably that Chicago Fire away. Since NYRB is your latest, I'll directly comment on that one -- to prevent that cluttered back I'd maybe consider leaving the shadow stripes on the front of the jersey only, but it's not a huge deal. The inclusion of gold trim isn't really working for me, but I do love that you preserved the contrasting sleeve look, which suits them very well. Great work!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I agree with Digby about the stripes on the back for NYRB, but overall i really like this one. But unlike Digby, i like the gold trim and i think you should change the MLS logo according. I'm a big fan of the subtle inclusion of the Metrostars across the jerseys. well done!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I was worried about the stripes on the back making it a little too cluttered, so I will certainly change that. And I think I'm going to keep the gold trim because I think it does a nice job balancing the heavy inclusion of gold in the Red Bull sponsor logo. And I will probably change the coloring of the MLS logos as well to better match up with the gold trim.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

17 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

If it were me, I'd do a red/white stripe pattern for the Bulls. It's not like any other team is using it, right?

True, but they've established their identity as white shirts/red shorts, and I think red and white stripes would be straying just a bit too far off of that for my liking.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, ThatsSoSpursy said:

Much better but for the MLS badge i was more thinking red where the blue is.

Yeah, I tried that and it just didn't look right to me. I feel as if it needed some navy to balance with the navy in the crest. Anyways, I'm gonna leave it as is and I'll probably do the Revs next before I get to the expansion clubs.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Yeah, I tried that and it just didn't look right to me. I feel as if it needed some navy to balance with the navy in the crest. Anyways, I'm gonna leave it as is and I'll probably do the Revs next before I get to the expansion clubs.

Perfect. so is it just the Revs left? and is it going to be Minnesota, LAFC and Atlanta?

9 minutes ago, ThatsSoSpursy said:

Perfect. so is it just the Revs left? and is it going to be Minnesota, LAFC and Atlanta?

Yep, the Revs are the only current club that I have left to do. And I will definitely be doing Atlanta and Minnesota, and possibly LAFC after I finish both of those.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I have been extremely busy this past week, but today I am finally getting to post the 2017 kit for the Revolution, which will be a new secondary. I was asked earlier in this thread if I would consider making a new Revs logo, and unfortunately I have not had time to do that. Instead, i decided to put the current crest, wordmark and all, inside of a simple roundel just to at least make it a little better than the simple Crayola flag plastered directly onto the kit. The kit itself is again inspired by the Revolutionary era New England flag, except this time there are six thin sublimated hoops on the lower half of the front of the shirt, which represent the six states that make up the New England region. The tree from the flag is sublimated on the lower back of the shirt, with the actual flag itself as the jocktag. Dark green and white serve as accent colors throughout. Anyways, here you go:

Revs2016.png.a4fb7fa666a0f1f3a489595e03b

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived