Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL 2016 *Dallas Stars & Columbus Blue Jackets*

Morgan33

These are great. All of them are big improvements. I gotta ask, do you use stencils to draw the logos for these jerseys? They all look great and as an artist as well as a concept designer I respect that you're the only guy out there making concepts by using this method. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flames: Usually, I'm not a fan of black used for the Flames. And, honestly, I wasn't too big of a fan of the Flames' jersey styles from 2000-2007. I felt there was too much black and I never liked how the hem stripes came to a point while sporting a very round logo. The home is a little white-heavy, but I could live with it, and the pant stripes are very nice. The only real issue I have is that the shoulder logo looks very much like the shape of the Kings logo. Great alternate. 

7/10

Lightning: love the use of black with a lighter blue playing compliment. The short-lived '07 logo was always my favorite, shame that it only lasted a few years. Your simplification of it looks fantastic. This really is the perfect compromise of eras and it's all tied nicely together with the "Tampa Bay" shoulder patches, the victory stripes, and the fun blue alternate. Really, all the good things I've said about this concept were exactly your sentiments for designing it. 

9.5/10

In keeping with the SCF theme, we jump forward to a season where another plucky, upstart, Canadian team came within a game of hockey's richest prize...

Edmonton Oilers

I really wanted to do something different for the Oilers.  While I think their current look is absolutely right for the team, I couldn't help but miss aspects of the updated look that rose to fame in 2006...  It would have been too easy to just duplicate that set so I decided to challenge myself by creating a new logo inspired by that set, as well as the Todd McFarlane designed alternate.  The striping remains rooted in Oilers history and the decision was made to make red more prominent.  I've always loved their "Oil Rig Worker" patch for that very reason so I carried it over to the striping, hopefully without overdoing it.

roCeRaz.jpg

Carolina Hurricanes

The Hurricanes are another difficult team to do because their original look was so perfect.  I decided to ditch the current primary and alter the secondary logo so it incorporated an actual Hurricane Warning as well as the team's initials.  The secondary logo was created to compliment the striping and allow for a simpler alternate look.

jw00w0u.jpg

I really like how you got the "e" into the Oilers logo. I honestly don't like the old colour scheme they used. I much rather prefer the new orange and blue they're using now, but it's a solid design. For Carolina, I think the primary logo is way to busy. I appreciate the effort in trying to get the "C" and "H" in the logo, but I think it would still be solid with just one of the flags. I would go with the C flag. And to be even more picky, the amount of the warning flag patterns might be too high. It's a little overwhelming. I'm all for the idea to bring that pattern back, but I think it's a little overwhelming, especially with it added to the back of the collar, even if its not visible at all times. But great work on both. Very solid.

From a design standpoint, Edmonton looks fabulous. That logo would work great for a minor league team. Reminds me a lot of the Hamilton Bulldogs when they were the AHL affiliate of the Oilers. That said, its not something Edmonton could ever conceivably wear day to day, but possibly as a shoulder patch or Stadium Series/Heritage Classic freakout jersey. 

I like the idea behind Carolina, but not the execution. The angle of the flags make it seem like the wind is blowing downward, not horizontally. And it feels cluttered with the H slipped into the second flag. I love the "C" in the upper flag though. I think the whole thing works if you drop the second flag, rotate the whole thing about 45 degrees, and clean up the striping. I like having the warning pattern, but the grey and white on top of it is excessive with the busy pattern. It looks much better on the alternate because of this. 

Alternate looks very Whaleresque. Me likey. 

qtOnrJr.png

Up next I present two teams from back to back Stanley Cup Finals

Pittsburgh Penguins

For this concept I wanted to split the difference between the cup winning look and modern set that followed.  The skating penguin remains the primary but aspects from the robo-pen template have been incorporated like the angular shoulder yokes and more unified hem stripes.  The alternate borrows ideas from their 1996 alternate but ditches the gradients for something cleaner.  Yellow was chosen to make it stand out from the main set, and give a subtle nod to their yellow uniforms from the 80's.

U4m23sa.jpg

Detroit Red Wings

Very difficult team to do, since their current look is pretty much perfect.  That being said, I tried to make the logo sharper and more contemporary while borrowing striping elements from their Winter Classic look.  As always, C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking! :)

ZMgJF4A.jpg

The minnesota red wings! Jokes aside, that logo looks really sharp, but i would just stick to the one stripe on the pants. The pens look cool, i always loved robo-pen, and i think you found the perfect balance between their two best looks. I'm just curious as to whether there would be any space for the sleeve numbers with those shoulder yokes. 

Archived