Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL 2016 *Dallas Stars & Columbus Blue Jackets*

Morgan33

see that's how the avalanche should look. nice use of navy as the backdrop to the jersey, almost looks likes a night sky atop the mountains. 

i feel the green is a downgrade from the black for new jersey. i know it's a more unique color scheme, but to me black/red/white is the devils. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avs- One of the few concepts I've seen where the look wasn't a pure throwback & you still created something amazing. I hate that alt jersey, but this looks terrific!

New Jersey- I get going back to Green.... but they've only had success in black. Bringing back "Mickey Mouse" looks good, but feels wrong. I'd swap green for black and keep your current home as the 3rd.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Anaheim Ducks

I'm obviously a huge mark for the 'Mighty Ducks look' but can admit the eggplant was a little childish looking.  Watching the cinderella run, before HDTV, I loved how the purple elements sometimes appeared black on the white home jerseys.  The logo from that era was also entirely without eggplant so I decided to drop the colour entirely and replace it with black.  The alternate incorporates a simplified version of the 'webbed D' and uses metallic gold in place of yellow.

bpbWoYv.jpg

Ottawa Senators

In my opinion, the updated, forward facing, centurion is just too good to not be used on all three jerseys.  The main set evokes the mid 90's look, with some gold added to the striping for balance.  For the alternate I brought in elements of the Heritage look and altered the logo to look similar to the crest they unveiled for their inaugural year in 92.  No reason why the roman theme and barber pole striping can't co-exist.  As always C & C welcome and appreciated :) .

0iY4194.jpg

The 1st time I'm not sold on either jersey.

Anaheim- Feels very Dallas Stars-ish in terms of the colours. It's a nice set, but I really don't like it at all for the Ducks. It just feels off and like a colour is missing from the set.

Ottawa- That red alt is a very nice sweater... but there's a big issue with your home and away: The arm stripes don't match the hem ones. That's a huge no-no in my books usually, and in this case it's a BIG one for me. I also don't like seeing the forward-facing logo as a shoulder patch.... I'd have used a version of the Peach Tower logo myself. Also.... those tan pants wouldn't look very good unless they were slightly darker, like the one's Calgary used in the Heritage Classic. These look like the white diaper the L.A. Kings wore in that Stadium Series game.

I can't believe that nobody has tried replacing eggplant with black before. Yeah, there's a bit of a Stars look...but the Stars wear green now, not black. I like it. I like it a lot. That's the perfect compromise on the colors, in my opinion. 

I think Ottawa would be perfect if you based the look around the third jersey, because that's absolutely perfect. I think the gold stripes look out of place

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I like the ducks, especially the third.

Ottawa i can't get behind. I think that gold is a color that looks great on their logo, but should not be used in their striping. I say go with the hem stripe pattern, put it on the sleeves as well, and drop the gold. Also not to sure about those cream colored pants, i think the black pants work well for all three jeresys.

I think orange would look better than yellow on the Mighty Ducks. And history aside, that hem stripe is pretty extreme. I'd ease up on the angle. 

Ottawa is much improved. Match the hem and arm stripes. I'd lose gold everywhere but the logo, and don't use the current on the shoulders. The "O" would work there. 

qtOnrJr.png

Man...  I really thought the Ducks and Senators would get a better reception.  When have the Dallas Stars ever worn Teal? :P.  Anyhow; speaking of Stars, I present two star themed teams...

Dallas Stars

Since the Stars are finally acknowledging their roots with Victory Green, and a more traditional template, I figured why not take it step further.  Bring back arguably the greatest identity in the leagues history.  The new logo has been recoloured and cream has been added for a vintage feel.  On the road version, cream is only used to give the 3D star, more dimension, while on the home it is incorporated into the striping.  A refined, textless version of the 1992 logo appears on the pants.

cVzyXez.jpg

Columbus Blue Jackets

Unpopular opinion but I've always loved the Jackets inaugural logo and colour scheme.  I just hated the 'Bug' shoulder patch and the bland uniforms so I sought to rectify both problems while making neon green more prominent.  As always C & C is greatly appreciated, thanks for looking!

UiGn8kE.jpg

Absolutely love the Columbus set. The star patterns look like a million bucks and i like that you brought back that neon green/yellow color. 

But i cant get behind the stars. There are just too many identities mixed into this one and it starts to muddy the waters. The logos are very modern looking, but the striping, collar and colors are very old school. I think you need to stick with either current dallas' identity, vintage dallas, or the north stars because combining all three just kind of makes a mess of things. 

I don't see what the problem is mixing the current logo with the Northstars striping...  They are essentially the same idea; a letter combined with an italic star.  Does it really look that modern without the metallic silver?  Besides, the current logo also resides on a traditional template

At any rate, thanks for the feedback :)

4 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I don't see what the problem is mixing the current logo with the Northstars striping...  They are essentially the same idea; a letter combined with an italic star.  Does it really look that modern without the metallic silver?  Besides, the current logo also resides on a traditional template

At any rate, thanks for the feedback :)

It's more of the fact you're trying so hard to embrace the "North Stars" history.

I like it best when teams separate themselves when they relocate. It's why the Devils & Thunder work and the Stars, Jazz & Hornets don't/didn't.

5 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

It's more of the fact you're trying so hard to embrace the "North Stars" history.

I like it best when teams separate themselves when they relocate. It's why the Devils & Thunder work and the Stars, Jazz & Hornets don't/didn't.

Yes. Leave the Stars in Texas, and the the North Stars in Minnesota. ^_^

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Dallas - I have to echo everyone else. The striping just doesn't work with the logo. 

Columbus - I'm not sure how I feel about this. I want to like it, but it gives off too much of a early 2000's vibe with the logo and stars on the striping. The pants don't tie in at all with the set and generally don't look good.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

Is this series ever going to be resurrected and finished? 

Yes and thank you for your interest :).  I am working on a Hurricanes update and hope to have Panthers, Leafs, Jets and Sharks concepts done shortly after.  Drawing them by hand is rather time consuming but I'm hoping to have new work to show by late September.  Also debating on adding helmets and numbers which would either mean starting the series over or adding to all the completed concepts.

I know the Mods don't like the bumping of old threads but if you guys could be super cool and not lock this one, it would be mad appreciated.  More work is on the way!

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

Yes and thank you for your interest :).  I am working on a Hurricanes update and hope to have Panthers, Leafs, Jets and Sharks concepts done shortly after.  Drawing them by hand is rather time consuming but I'm hoping to have new work to show by late September.  Also debating on adding helmets and numbers which would either mean starting the series over or adding to all the completed concepts.

I know the Mods don't like the bumping of old threads but if you guys could be super cool and not lock this one, it would be mad appreciated.  More work is on the way!

YAY! I was going to mention adding helmets and numbers so im glad you thought about it too. Can't wait, you got the best concepts hand drawn or otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

I will admit I'm glad the thread has been revived, @Morgo. I will admit the the work here is still amazing, and I'd love to see you do the same for the NBA later on, if you could make a hand-drawn template that was suitable for that usage.

Shocked a Canes update is happening, and not a Stars one. The other 4 teams I hope come out looking solid. I especially wonder how the Sharks will look and which logo package will be used.

Archived