Are there any white helmets that are better than the color?

KJHillis

As a South Carolina fan, there is an ongoing debate between garnet vs. white helmets. The garnet helmets, while used during pretty lean years, actually are loved by fans and recruits too, it appears. The white ones, while representative of the best years, are stale. I have never heard one person, fan or not, to take the time to say anything nice about the helmets. 

Are there any examples of white helmets being superior to a colored option? I immediately thought of the NC State helmets and the same situation.

1.jpg

2.jpeg

300px-CarolinaColiseum.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, KJHillis said:

As a South Carolina fan, there is an ongoing debate between garnet vs. white helmets. The garnet helmets, while used during pretty lean years, actually are loved by fans and recruits too, it appears. The white ones, while representative of the best years, are stale. I have never heard one person, fan or not, to take the time to say anything nice about the helmets. 

Are there any examples of white helmets being superior to a colored option? I immediately thought of the NC State helmets and the same situation.

1.jpg

2.jpeg

The white helmet in your post is 100x better than the garnet one.  

White South Carolina is definitely better.  The round sticker on the dark helmet seems so tacked on.

I think most people feel that way about Arizona; but no me.  I love the blue helmet (and hate the asymmetrical stripes on the white).

Off the top of my head (for otherwise similar designs, i.e., the Bucco Bruce to pewter are not really comprable)...

White better:

• Wisconsin
  • South Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Houston Oilers

Dark Better

• Chargers
  • Bills
  • Eagles
  • Arizona
  • Kentucky

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Those are all good examples, especially Arizona. That's one of my favorite looks.

I think it really depends on the entire uniform. The South Carolina helmets never seemed to fit and took away from the garnet and black. I don't think I posted the best pictures.

Many of the teams posted only have two colors, one of them being white.

300px-CarolinaColiseum.jpg

I actually generally prefer a neutral colored helmet, myself. The Bills look immeasurably better with white lids than they did with red, and I can say the same for the Jets and Chargers. I also preferred the Pats' white helmet to their current silver one (not that their silver helmet is bad, mind you, but I just generally preferred their original look, including the white helmet).

As quite a few others have said, that South Carolina white helmet is much better than the red helmet. If the red helmet didn't have that hokey white circle around the logo, it'd be an argument, but the white helmet gives the perfect backdrop for that logo.

South Carolina's problems are 1. The hokey white circle that looks like the world's laziest attempt to make a logo work on the wrong color helmet, and 2. The logo is overly detailed, contains the ridiculous block C, and contains the gamecock that is far too small to work with the level of detail due to it having to fit within the C..

They could fix their issues (as others have done previously on here) by removing the block C and simplifying the gamecock.. Then it works on a white lid, or on a garnet lid with a white keyline

I agree that Arizona, Wisconsin, Ohio University, and the Houston Oilers look(ed) better with white helmets. The Chargers I'd say are a wash between their current and most recent previous helmets; I like the 1988-2006 look better than any of their other blue-helmeted looks, but I love the tri-colored lightning bolt they now use.

I think the Buffalo Bills' red 1990s helmet looks better than their current. If they un-tapered the width of their helmet stripe it'd be about even with the red one. I also think the New York Jets' current helmet is about even with their green one; I'd maybe give the current one a slight edge. The Patriots' white helmets were nice, but so is Flying Elvis. I'd say maybe brighter Elvis, Patriot Pat, darker Elvis, in that order, but none of them are bad in the slightest. (Their current uniforms, on the other hand...)

I love the prototype white Texans helmet. I'm guessing they probably went with navy blue to distinguish them from the last Houston team, which wore white helmets for like 20 years before moving away.

I also agree with several previous posters' assessment of the South Carolina helmet dichotomy---that white oval on the garnet helmet doesn't look right. IMO the logo "pops" way more on white too. 

Archived