Twin Cities Terrors roller derby

-kj

The men's roller derby team I used to play for, the Twin Cities Terrors, have asked me to do a new jersey design.  They're still gathering graphics for me, but in the meantime, I decided to try my hand at a new logo.  I'm not sure this will actually get used, but it's fun to design anyway.

Original:

Terrors_Logo_medium.jpg

Concept:

TCTerrors-logo-1c.png

Why the blue?  While the logo never included blue, Terror Blue has been a thing since the beginning:

4411044071_e6eba0be67_b.jpg

Of course, there's not currently an official color for it, so we're looking at some options.  The graphics above show Process Blue.

TCT-colors.png

Thoughts?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I don't know...yours is more rounded and a bit "friendlier". The previous one has a more maniacal sense to it.

In the original, the lightning bolts looks more like a crown of ivy, in yours they're more like tattoos. I think the t.c. would look better on the skull's forehead instead of cut off on the side.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Thanks, y'all.  Slappy, you're probably right about it not being maniacal enough, though I was definitely going for cleaner.  I might have to revisit it at some point.

The team got me all the vectors, minus potential sponsor logos, and still want to go with the original logo.  (Well, my friend/contact said he liked my design, but he thought he'd be strung up if he suggested changing it.)

I'd already started on jersey designs before I got it, but there wasn't a lot to change other than just swapping out the logos:

Terrors-jerseys-existing-logo.png

P.S. -- I'm surprised no one said anything about the nose on the logo concept.

POTD 2013-08-22

The jerseys look really slick. Apart from the logo, these would even look good on a minor league hockey or NLL club.

I see the lightning bolts at the bottom form the letter M - is that intentional, and if so is it supposed to represent Minneapolis, or Minnesota?

CCSLC signature.png

4 hours ago, Viper said:

I see the lightning bolts at the bottom form the letter M - is that intentional, and if so is it supposed to represent Minneapolis, or Minnesota?

Originally they were just on the sides, but I noticed the ability to make the M and went for it.  Totally for Minnesota.

POTD 2013-08-22

8 hours ago, Megildur said:

The nose is epic. I didn't notice it till now, but excellent job with it. If others have no clue what I'm talking about, zoom in on the nose.

Yeah the nose is really clever. The original logo is just awful in my opinion, and your update is much better, albeit a little too friendly.

Seems that there were other designs being worked on at the same time, both by a team member and by the shop where they're going to order the jerseys.  It was put to a vote by the team, and they chose my jersey design, but did ask for some tweaks.

Just finished up the final design this morning.

Terrors-jerseys-2016.png

POTD 2013-08-22

The final jerseys look really good, I'm glad your design was picked!

I also hope you do revisit the logo, maybe find a happy medium between the original and yours. I do know firsthand that the normal clean sports design aesthetic doesn't always work in Derby. The key is to find the middle area of clean design and chaotic art. 

TDZiMMB.png

Archived