My "Miracle" movie jersey collection

spyboy1

Some time after the movie Miracle came out in 2004, some of the jerseys used in the filming of the movie started to appear on ebay. I first saw the West Germany jerseys and thought they were unique, badged like a soccer jersey more than crested like a hockey jersey. I waited to see if the prices would drop as they listed jersey after jersey from the set, also hoping to get one with a very "German" name on the back. Eventually I waited too long and they sold the entire set. Oh well.

Later on I got the chance to get some of the other countries jerseys for some reasonable prices and began to pick up more and more. Eventually I decided to try to get the entire set of all 11 varieties. Most proved rather easy to get, with a few requiring a bit of searching, like Finland and the Soviet Union.

I was even able to add a Soviet winter coat and track jacket, but the German jersey proved highly elusive. I think part of the issue may have been the jerseys didn't say "Germany" on them anywhere and may have been listed on ebay as something else, like "red hockey jersey" or "eagles jersey".

It finally took about ten years for one to show up on ebay - and with a buy it now price. My heart was pounding as I tired to complete the purchase while on my phone at work with a horrible cellular connection. All it was going to take was one more collector in my position to scoop the jersey up while I fought for a signal, so I didn't even bother to make an offer. Whatever I overpaid was my fine for not getting it when I had the chance the first time around.

The film was released on this date in 2004 and here is a link to my story on the movie and my collection.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2016/02/miracle-movie-jerseys.html

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• 2 weeks later...

The designs are very accurate (save for spelling Sverige as "Sverge") except for all the jerseys being rendered in darker tones to create a dramatic visual effect when the properly bright colored USA and Soviet Olympic jerseys were on screen.

It took me long enough to get the jerseys in the movie. I can't imagine having to chase down Canada, Poland, the Netherlands and Japan as well, the teams from the Red Division the US never played against.

There were more jerseys from the movie, an IHL All-Star exhibition game as well as the multiple practice jersey styles from the early tryout scenes, some of which were more than just generic college names in a block font, but I passed on being overly fanatical about going after those.

There were other things that did come up on ebay after the filming, such as USA hockey pants, socks, equipment bags and Soviet helmets, but I never made the leap beyond the jerseys except the Soviet CCCP winter jacket and track suit that I just couldn't resist. I don't ever recall seeing a US track suit for sale, but they did have them in the medal ceremony scene. 

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

On 2/23/2016 at 11:03 PM, spyboy1 said:

The designs are very accurate (save for spelling Sverige as "Sverge") except for all the jerseys being rendered in darker tones to create a dramatic visual effect when the properly bright colored USA and Soviet Olympic jerseys were on screen.

I've wondered why that is ever since the movie came out. I even went as far to research the 1980 team before the Olympics because I didn't understand why the US wore navy blue and burgundy uniforms leading up to the Madison Square garden game. Makes sense to have the most important games pop, but I think they may have gone too dark in those early games and practices. Herb Brooks' gloves would go really well with the Avs new third jerseys. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived