raysox

Super Bowl Shuffle

Recommended Posts

SuperBowl.png

The year is 2020. Super Bowl LIV just had been played, with the Buccaneers beating the Jaguars in the second straight year. The game went on as normal, with tons of media build up, expensive commercials of companies using hip memes of the day, and the traditional game of gridiron football. However, there was a dark tone to the game. This would be Roger Goodell’s last Super Bowl as commissioner. Goodell had become a tyrant, renaming the Lombardi Trophy after himself before Super Bowl LIII, and doing anything to make money(which he was found out later to be pocketing).

 

Lead by the NFL Players Association, and former players started a coup to seize power from Goodell. Goodell claimed it was a “War on Football”, which is the first and only time this term was correctly used. It was a rocky few months, but it happened in the off season. The NFLPA gained control, and started democratic elections of the commissioner. Goodell was exiled to a place that would never see a professional football game again, London. 

 

In an attempt to wipe out the “Goodell Years”, the new NFL commissioner Marshawn Lynch had a bold idea. With the help of NFL Films, they would get rid of all traces of the chrome Super Bowl logos that had been made to be standardized and look futuristic. NFL Films agreed to doctor the film of the games to include new logos. This meant new logos of the last 10 Super Bowl would have to be made. They are looking for bold, colorful logos that reflect the year the game was in and the host city.

 

We at Chris Creamer’s Sports Logo Community have been given the task to design the 10 logos. Each round will consist of a branding periods of 2 weeks. After those two weeks are up, I’ll post the logos without the maker’s name. We’ll have a typical voting process of naming the top 3 logos, all earning an associated amount of points. When we total up the amount, the top 10 vote getters will be posted and points awarded based on the current F1 point system. This final point system will add up across all rounds. The final round will be Super Bowl LIV, worth double points due to the game returning to Los Angeles, and still being in the public’s consciousness. Most points after all five round wins. Contestants can only submit concepts for one game per round, just to keep an even field points wise.

 

Here are the rounds

 

Round 1 2/14-2/28

Super Bowl XLV - North Texas

Super Bowl XLVI - Indianapolis

 

Round 2 2/21-3/6

Super Bowl XLVII - New Orleans

Super Bowl XLVIII - New York/New Jersey

 

Round 3 2/28-3/13

Super Bowl XLIX - Arizona

Super Bowl 50 - San Francisco Bay Area

 

Round 4 3/6-3/20

Super Bowl LI - Houston

Super Bowl LII - Minneapolis

Super Bowl LIII - Atlanta

 

Round 5 3/20-4/3

Super Bowl LIV - Los Angeles

 

So sit tight, we're gonna start Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's implying the Las Vegas Raiders aren't hosting Super Bowl LV!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So one thing I've been thinking is should I or shouldn't I post parameters. Like say the North Texas one should be silver and navy. But if we get 20 silver and navy entrees, then it'll limit the creativity. I'm leaning towards free reign, and will outline the things the logos need in each thread.

 

Also I may try to photoshop the winning logos onto jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, raysox said:

So one thing I've been thinking is should I or shouldn't I post parameters. Like say the North Texas one should be silver and navy. But if we get 20 silver and navy entrees, then it'll limit the creativity. I'm leaning towards free reign, and will outline the things the logos need in each thread.

 

Also I may try to photoshop the winning logos onto jerseys.

I don't think so. There's a lot outside of the Cowboys' colors which can be used for a Super Bowl logo. Do the homework: a good majority of the logos focused on the region over the team. There's a million directions the logo can take just using "Texas" or "Western" as a theme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that was just an example, I'd go with the city's culture more than anything. A better one would be like a brickyard themed indianapolis one, or something. I just don't want to limit anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"NFL commissioner Marshawn Lynch"

 

Wild. :D

 

So, will this be like the Logoylmpiad, with this being the main thread and each Super Bowl up for redesign has its own thread? I'm just trying to make sure I'm understanding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this will be the mother thread, and we'll have threads for each logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...If I can free up some time, I'll see if I can put a few things together. Although, if need be, I can judge as proxy for Commish Lynch. He'd only be here so he wouldn't get fined. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, derschwigg said:

Hmmm...If I can free up some time, I'll see if I can put a few things together. Although, if need be, I can judge as proxy for Commish Lynch. He'd only be here so he wouldn't get fined. :lol:

I just peed my pants laughing #speechmodeboss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that looks like fun! I can't imagine having Skittles as the top sponsor/adversity for NFL since it is Lynch's favorite. This should be fun really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"NFL Commissioner Marshawn Lynch". I like that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, derschwigg said:

Hmmm...If I can free up some time, I'll see if I can put a few things together. Although, if need be, I can judge as proxy for Commish Lynch. He'd only be here so he wouldn't get fined. :lol:

Well thank you for volunteering! I know how I can use your help if I need it.

 

So a break down of points. First, the Super Bowl specific voting is like the one we've done so many times. You're ranking your top 3. First place gets 5, second gets 3, third gets 1. This lets us determine the points people earn in each logo round. Since there is two or three years in the first four rounds, it needs to correspond to a different calculation, ensuring someone doesn't get screwed when 23 people submit to theirs, and only 12 people submit for a rival's, making the talent pool a little bit lighter.

 

So like I mentioned before, we will rank the final results after a week of voting using the best top 10 points system I can think of, the current F1 system.

 

1st - 25

2nd - 18

3rd - 15

4th - 12

5th - 10

6th - 8

7th - 6

8th - 4

9th - 2

10th - 1

 

This will be the same for all the rounds except the last one, which is a single logo free-for-all double point round.. I'm all about transparency, so like I've done in the past, I made a spreadsheet to track scores. Anyone can access this at any time, and it will be updated when I get a chance to see the thread.

 

Now, since I'm running it, I'm not going to vote for anyone. Obviously, you can't vote for yourself. I would like to enter some rounds because I want to learn illustrator. This shouldn't be a problem, unless it passes a series of tiebreakers. I've decided that the tie breaker will be first place votes, then second, then third. If two entrees in the voting have the same exact totals in all 3 spots, I will break the tie with a head to head pick by me. Hypotherically, if I'm in one of these situations, then @derschwigg can cast his vote.

 

Any questions? I set up my rarely used gmail on my phone, so that will be how you submit. I don't want to overload my PM's on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, raysox said:

Well thank you for volunteering! I know how I can use your help if I need it.

 

So a break down of points. First, the Super Bowl specific voting is like the one we've done so many times. You're ranking your top 3. First place gets 5, second gets 3, third gets 1. This lets us determine the points people earn in each logo round. Since there is two or three years in the first four rounds, it needs to correspond to a different calculation, ensuring someone doesn't get screwed when 23 people submit to theirs, and only 12 people submit for a rival's, making the talent pool a little bit lighter.

 

So like I mentioned before, we will rank the final results after a week of voting using the best top 10 points system I can think of, the current F1 system.

 

1st - 25

2nd - 18

3rd - 15

4th - 12

5th - 10

6th - 8

7th - 6

8th - 4

9th - 2

10th - 1

 

This will be the same for all the rounds except the last one, which is a single logo free-for-all double point round.. I'm all about transparency, so like I've done in the past, I made a spreadsheet to track scores. Anyone can access this at any time, and it will be updated when I get a chance to see the thread.

 

Now, since I'm running it, I'm not going to vote for anyone. Obviously, you can't vote for yourself. I would like to enter some rounds because I want to learn illustrator. This shouldn't be a problem, unless it passes a series of tiebreakers. I've decided that the tie breaker will be first place votes, then second, then third. If two entrees in the voting have the same exact totals in all 3 spots, I will break the tie with a head to head pick by me. Hypotherically, if I'm in one of these situations, then @derschwigg can cast his vote.

 

Any questions? I set up my rarely used gmail on my phone, so that will be how you submit. I don't want to overload my PM's on here.

Sounds good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have to officially sign up, or can we participate at will? Because I'm pretty busy right now and I don't know how much I'll have time to participate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post in the thread that you're signing up for it so I can get a head count. There's no penalty for not submitting a logo, as not earning points in one of the rounds is enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.