2016 MLB Season

ninersdd

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Joey Votto's second half needs some national attention. If his first half had been as good as his second half we'd be talking about him cracking .400 right now. This guy is so good it's honestly the one thing that keeps me tuning in in this stupid baseball season.

Seems like his season's been the opposite of the White Sox season: hit like Rey Ordonez for the first half, hit like Votto in the second half. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

8 hours ago, ninersdd said:

It appears the Cardinals got away with one. That should've been a ground rule double vs Cincy.

I have no idea why the umpires just left the field and refused to come back. How is that acceptable. MLB ought to revoke any postseason duties from that crew. It's a disgrace. 

But that it benefited the Cardinals is not surprising at all. Here's what will happen: Cardinals will make the playoffs by one game by winning a game they didn't actually ever legally win, they win the World Series. It's the maximum amount of trollocity possible, and this team is much sh*****r than the 06 team and baseball is designed to f*** with me. That team at least qualified for the playoffs fair and square. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

27 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I have no idea why the umpires just left the field and refused to come back. How is that acceptable. MLB ought to revoke any postseason duties from that crew. It's a disgrace. 

But that it benefited the Cardinals is not surprising at all. Here's what will happen: Cardinals will make the playoffs by one game by winning a game they didn't actually ever legally win, they win the World Series. It's the maximum amount of trollocity possible, and this team is much sh*****r than the 06 team and baseball is designed to f*** with me. That team at least qualified for the playoffs fair and square. 

Ah yes, I love this malice.  St. Louis should sink into the earth and descend down into the hell from whence it came and ultimately to which it belongs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That Cardinals win sucked...the umps missed the call and for whatever reason, in sports (not just baseball, but particularly football), when a game appears over, officials just dart off the field.  By technicality, I guess the Reds did not question the call quickly enough...but then the technical rule needs to change.  Either that or just drop replay.  We want replay to get key calls right and I'd say whether a team's walk-off win should have counted is a pretty key call.

I don't have the hate for the Cardinals that some people do, but I too am sick of them.  That said, they'd have had second and third (How many out?) and worst case move on to extras in a tie.  So if they get the WC by a game, I am not going to worry about it as there's better than a 50/50 chance they win the game anyway.  In a sense, it does the Cards a disservice because if they get the WC, it'll be over-perceived as tainted.  By now people already recall that had the call been made correctly, the Reds would have won the game and that's just not true.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

26 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

That Cardinals win sucked...the umps missed the call and for whatever reason, in sports (not just baseball, but particularly football), when a game appears over, officials just dart off the field.  By technicality, I guess the Reds did not question the call quickly enough...but then the technical rule needs to change.  Either that or just drop replay.  We want replay to get key calls right and I'd say whether a team's walk-off win should have counted is a pretty key call.

I don't have the hate for the Cardinals that some people do, but I too am sick of them.  That said, they'd have had second and third (How many out?) and worst case move on to extras in a tie.  So if they get the WC by a game, I am not going to worry about it as there's better than a 50/50 chance they win the game anyway.  In a sense, it does the Cards a disservice because if they get the WC, it'll be over-perceived as tainted.  By now people already recall that had the call been made correctly, the Reds would have won the game and that's just not true.

Oh it's already tainted. Carpenter would've gone back to third so it was tie game, second and third with two outs. There's a better than not chance the Reds get out of the inning and we have extras left to play. Who knows what happens there? Maybe Votto crushes a grand slam, maybe Molina breaks his leg so bad he has to retire. You have to play the game out as the rules require. The game shouldn't have ended on that play and everyone knows it. 

"well the Cardinals probably would've won anyways"

yeah, probably, the Reds are a 65 win team with the worst bullpen ever, but you can't just hand a team a win because of probabilities. It wasn't actually decided on the field. It was just given to one team because, what, because the Umpire already took his jacket off or something? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Oh it's already tainted. Carpenter would've gone back to third so it was tie game, second and third with two outs. There's a better than not chance the Reds get out of the inning and we have extras left to play. Who knows what happens there? Maybe Votto crushes a grand slam, maybe Molina breaks his leg so bad he has to retire. You have to play the game out as the rules require. The game shouldn't have ended on that play and everyone knows it. 

"well the Cardinals probably would've won anyways"

yeah, probably, the Reds are a 65 win team with the worst bullpen ever, but you can't just hand a team a win because of probabilities. It wasn't actually decided on the field. It was just given to one team because, what, because the Umpire already took his jacket off or something? 

That's the only part of what you say that I dispute (or maybe I don't...but the "taint" is to a smaller degree...it's not Lakers/Kings).  All else equal (which it's not since St. L is the better team), the Cards have the better chance to win with the extra out and runner on 3rd.  My point is not that what happened is OK (far from it) but that if the Cards do get in by a game I am not going to wring my hands about this one the way I would if, say, the Reds had had the lead and the third out was missed by the umps.  

No doubt...the Reds might have exploded for 1 run and shut them down in the bottom of the 10th...we'll never know.  And "we'll never know" sucks.  That needed to play out.  Any team (even the Twins) can get one out and score a run in the top of the tenth.  If MLB reviews this and decides to give special consideration to "end of game" plays (i.e., umps should not be running off the field like it's on fire), that would be great and a small price to pay given the probability of where we were at.  

And while I don't hate the Cards like you do, I am sick of 'em.  If this was ever going to piss me off it would be that it happens for the Cards...but given that there's overa 50% chance that they'd have won, I cannot lose any sleep over it being "tainted."

Now, it looks inevitable that the Cards and/or Giants are getting in.  So the AL may as well just shut it down right now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That part has been inevitable for a while that one of those two would get a wild card. The thankful thing is that it won't be both of them getting the Wild Card, unless the Mets have a truly awful weekend against the Phillies (and even then both those others would have to stop tripping over their own dicks like they have been the entire 2nd half). In a wonderful-case scenario, both of them finish tied, play a tiebreak and use their #1's in that game, and then have face Syndergaard and the Mets at even more of a disadvantage.

We can't possibly get another even-year Cardinals-Giants NLCS. Be thankful of the little things.

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

That part has been inevitable for a while that one of those two would get a wild card. The thankful thing is that it won't be both of them getting the Wild Card, unless the Mets have a truly awful weekend against the Phillies (and even then both those others would have to stop tripping over their own dicks like they have been the entire 2nd half). In a wonderful-case scenario, both of them finish tied, play a tiebreak and use their #1's in that game, and then have face Syndergaard and the Mets at even more of a disadvantage.

We can't possibly get another even-year Cardinals-Giants NLCS. Be thankful of the little things.

I think Thor is slated to go on Sunday for the Mets, so it will be interesting if he has to stay there. Fortunately for the Giants, they do have essentially 2 #1 starters, so they could handle that better then others.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I wouldn't put anything past Terry Collins, but if the Mets have a wild card spot locked in, regardless of which one it is (and I don't know the tiebreakers off the top of my head), then starting Thor simply for home field would be horrifically stupid. I can't imagine he will pitch on Sunday; it's just a "break glass" kind of deal to have him lined up for that day.

spacer.png

So the Tigers could have an interesting weekend...then early next week...of the regular season.  Thanks to their rainout with Cleveland last night, this could be the Tigers schedule between now and next Thursday:

Friday-Sunday: At Atlanta

Monday, if need be to clinch a Wild Card spot or tie (or, if I understand it, if Cleveland can reach the #2 seed): Cleveland at Detroit

Then, there could be a 2-way tie for the second Wild Card spot.  Or, a 3-way tie.  Or, all four (with Toronto, Baltimore, and Seattle) tie with the same record.

So an AL tiebreaker game (or two!) would be played on Tuesday, with a second tiebreaker played on Wednesday if three or four are tied.  Then, the AL Wild Card game gets played on Thursday.  Then, the ALDS finally gets started, probably on Saturday, and possibly the off day between Games 2 and 3 getting wiped out in order for this series to catch up with the others.

So depending on how these tiebreakers shake out...the Tigers could be playing five elimination games, in five days, in five different ballparks.

The Jays don't deserve a playoff spot. The bullpen is an absolute disaster and our hitting hasn't really been able to fix that.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived