• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new uniforms are an improvement over what they had, I guess, but they're still generic as hell. In all honesty, there's not much you can do with that bland color scheme and those tacky logos that belong in the '70s. They could stand out with a color scheme based around the copper color they used in the '90s, which I've done a few times in my concepts for them, but they'd rather be another generic navy sports team.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Jazz uniforms are just kinda meh for me.  I like the color scheme but the design is kind of hit-or-miss.  They've just had so many looks and color schemes over the years that it's getting hard to care anymore.

26 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Then why not just make that the warm-up suit and not an awful sleeved jersey?

Because they have to be in what ever template adidas makes for the warm ups that year. The only customization a team has ever had was the Celtics use to have NOBs on there's until they were told they couldn't do that anymore 4-5 years ago

9 minutes ago, mattb6 said:

I love the sleeve uniform. It feels like a way better version of the Wizards crap. 

I agree that it's better than the Wizards' version -- but I also think that they're the top two sleeved jerseys in the league, because the designs take advantage of the cut of the tee in ways that the others don't, IMHO.  That being said, it's clear that adidas and/or teams' designers haven't figured out how to design shorts that work with sleeved uni designs.  Both the Jazz and the Wizards' "pride" shorts are off. 

I hope that adidas does a better job with selling swingtime-esque replicas that more closely approximate the look of the on-court jerseys.  The vertical stripes on the Wizards' replicas didn't go all the way up to the collar, so the entire design was spoiled.

36 minutes ago, dont care said:

Because they have to be in what ever template adidas makes for the warm ups that year. The only customization a team has ever had was the Celtics use to have NOBs on there's until they were told they couldn't do that anymore 4-5 years ago

I know but my real point is that it should not be a uniform choice. 

37 minutes ago, dont care said:

I never understood that aspect of adidas' NBA business model.  They'd sell a lot more warm ups if they allowed teams to use custom looks for their specific brands.  Instead, they force every team to use a cookie-cutter template.  And for what:  to save money on design/manufacturing costs?  It seems silly to cut corners when you're outfitting the premier basketball league in the world. 

The uniforms are ok. A downgrade, but not a huge one.  I really want to see the alt in a game before I judge, because right now it's not looking too bad, just wish they only had one J-Note logo on the jersey. The multicolored ball should be on the shorts. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

The tapered side panels look silly, the court is too dull, and the blue should be closer to a dark indigo or purple than plain old navy blue. I need to get some water!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Purple would have saved these sets.

Oh well. I haven't bought Jazz merchandise since the switch-over to blue, so I must not be in their survey cohort or target market.

Funny thing is, I was looking at the Jazz Instagram page's posts regarding the new stuff, and I saw quite a few comments saying something to the effect of "needs purple" or "go back to purple". Plus, nearly every fan I know of (myself included) wants purple back too.

I suppose sales has something to do with this idea that navy reigns. However, we're going to buy merchandise because we love the Jazz a whole friggin' lot, not necessarily because we like navy.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Exactly how I feel. My brain says I should hate them, but I think that they're fantastic. Would be better with the sleeves being striped like the chest is.

Yup, my thoughts exactly -- I want to hate these, but I love the originality and tie to Jazz history. I leave my full opinion though once I see them on the court.

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Funny thing is, I was looking at the Jazz Instagram page's posts regarding the new stuff, and I saw quite a few comments saying something to the effect of "needs purple" or "go back to purple". Plus, nearly every fan I know of (myself included) wants purple back too.

I suppose sales has something to do with this idea that navy reigns. However, we're going to buy merchandise because we love the Jazz a whole friggin' lot, not necessarily because we like navy.

I agree--I prefer purple or green over navy as the main color,* and therefore find it increasingly annoying that the team insists on wearing navy while hearkening "back to the old days" (according to their PR/social media departments) when guys named Griffith, Eaton, Stockton, Malone, and Sloan roamed the courts and when the team's primary color was purple (well, for the most part).

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, in a roughly 15-year span (1996-2010), the Jazz have had 3 different color schemes and identities (Purple/Teal/Light Blue/Copper/Black, Navy/Light Blue, the previous Navy/Dark Green/Yellow or something thereabouts) and are trying, just as they are now doing personnel-wise, to establish some continuity. But slicing the side stripes at a 66° angle only 8 or so inches from the armhole and shorts hems doesn't exactly help that.

Maybe it's that (*puts on tinfoil hat*) this is the last year of Adidas and that the Jazz may just be playing fast and loose--at least uniform-wise--this year to test fan interest whether to be more modern or stick with a more permanent, restrained uniform redesign (thus fixing the little flaws in this coming year's set) when Nike takes over and eradicates basketball sleeves to the Netherworld of Bad Sports Uniform Ideas. (*Removes tinfoil hat*)

*I do still think the new green alt is still the best of the sets due to what looks like a lighter/more saturated green and more of an emphasis on green/yellow/white despite not having the Jazz logo on it.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

51 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I agree--I prefer purple or green over navy as the main color,* and therefore find it increasingly annoying that the team insists on wearing navy while hearkening "back to the old days" (according to their PR/social media departments) when guys named Griffith, Eaton, Stockton, Malone, and Sloan roamed the courts and when the team's primary color was purple (well, for the most part).

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, in a roughly 15-year span (1996-2010), the Jazz have had 3 different color schemes and identities (Purple/Teal/Light Blue/Copper/Black, Navy/Light Blue, the previous Navy/Dark Green/Yellow or something thereabouts) and are trying, just as they are now doing personnel-wise, to establish some continuity. But slicing the side stripes at a 66° angle only 8 or so inches from the armhole and shorts hems doesn't exactly help that.

Maybe it's that (*puts on tinfoil hat*) this is the last year of Adidas and that the Jazz may just be playing fast and loose--at least uniform-wise--this year to test fan interest whether to be more modern or stick with a more permanent, restrained uniform redesign (thus fixing the little flaws in this coming year's set) when Nike takes over and eradicates basketball sleeves to the Netherworld of Bad Sports Uniform Ideas. (*Removes tinfoil hat*)

*I do still think the new green alt is still the best of the sets due to what looks like a lighter/more saturated green and more of an emphasis on green/yellow/white despite not having the Jazz logo on it.

I hadn't really thought if the continuity idea before, but I think you make a great point (and agree with everything else you said as well). That very well could be what they're going for. That said, if the majority of your fanbase seems to be favoring purple, it may be a risk worth taking to shake it back up a bit. Because really, such a change wouldn't be chasing a fad or something else detrimental if it was historically your primary color for 30 years and if your fans want it.

My view on the blue as a fan goes all the way back to when they first introduced it in '04; it just seemed like an empty, unnecessary move. I could see what they were trying to go for with the double blue (I'm assuming a cool wintery theme), but it looked like an almost stereotypical winter color scheme (and I don't mean to use that word in the wrong context, I just don't know what els to call it). Almost stock, I suppose. And all the while, purple and powder would've done the trick just fine while still establishing some continuity.

And now over the last few years theyve tried to go back to their roots, but mistakenly have figured since they're blue now, they can get away with staying in today while "hearkening back". Which leads to the same rut Phoenix is in with their black and orange: "looking like the old days" while not really looking like the old days at all. At least in Phoenix's case, they do have some purple to help. The Jazz, however, don't really look like John Stockton's team but more so like, well, the 2016-17 Jazz. It's just this false idea that you've turned back time, but really flipped the wrong switch.

(don't know if that all made sense, but that's as best as I could get out of my head haha)

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived