• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, H11K said:

Those are so small you will hardly notice them, its not that big of an issue 

I agree. Yes, the ads on the jerseys are mainly for the owners and team to make a quick buck, but the ads are small and don't take up a lot of space on the jersey. We don't complain when a team puts an anniversary patch on their jersey, so why should we complain about ads? Just my opinion. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

8 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

I agree. Yes, the ads on the jerseys are mainly for the owners and team to make a quick buck, but the ads are small and don't take up a lot of space on the jersey. We don't complain when a team puts an anniversary patch on their jersey, so why should we complain about ads? Just my opinion. 

I guess the biggest fear is the slippery slope argument. Sure, it's a 2x2 patch now, but this opens the door to European soccer-style jerseys of the ad basically being the team's logo.

Also, every facet of our world these days are inundated with advertisements, it was nice having one minor reprieve from that, with sports uniforms.

29 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

An aniversary patch isn't a different brand infringing on something that's supposed to represent the team's brand.

Apples and oranges. 

A better comparison would would be if a team put a patch advertising a ticket discount or for some event they were having.  

Everythjng kn the jersey still represents the same brand, but as opposed to an aniversary patch, the ticket ad isn't a celebration as much as it is, well, an ad. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

58 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I was just going to post this. This would be like hating the Cleveland Browns. I know that the Sixers gave tanked on purpose and that can annoy people but how can you despise them when teams like the Lakers are around?

They tanked on purpose. They are anti-competive. They spent three years being subsidized by the rest of the league. They actively sold a garbage product to their fans. It's one thing to be bad and hope for the best in the draft; they were bad and immediately discounted or discarded their high draft picks if they didn't immediately become LeBron James.

The Hinkie Sixers were less a professional sports franchise and more a fantasy basketball team. At least the Kings tried. At least the Lakers delivered an entertaining Kobe farewell season. At least the Pelicans had an excuse for being bad. The Sixers provided no entertainment value being schadenfreude. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, BBM said:

I guess the biggest fear is the slippery slope argument. Sure, it's a 2x2 patch now, but this opens the door to European soccer-style jerseys of the ad basically being the team's logo.

Also, every facet of our world these days are inundated with advertisements, it was nice having one minor reprieve from that, with sports uniforms.

Totally agree with the snowball argument here.

Firstly 5 mil a year in a big chunk of change for such a minuscule ad space.  Which leads me to believe there's some backdoor agreement to either increase the real estate takover on the players' clothing, or even worse, that bigger ads will generate that much more of a check from sponsors.

Only consolation for me is this Stubhub ad is nicely colored to match Philly's kit.   As long as the other 29 teams color match the ads I won't notice it as much - say a red H-E-B logo on the Spurs black/white kits.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

They tanked on purpose. They are anti-competive. They spent three years being subsidized by the rest of the league. They actively sold a garbage product to their fans. It's one thing to be bad and hope for the best in the draft; they were bad and immediately discounted or discarded their high draft picks if they didn't immediately become LeBron James.

The Hinkie Sixers were less a professional sports franchise and more a fantasy basketball team. At least the Kings tried. At least the Lakers delivered an entertaining Kobe farewell season. At least the Pelicans had an excuse for being bad. The Sixers provided no entertainment value being schadenfreude. 

Everything you said is true, and I get why they're hateable, just didn't realize that anyone thought of them enough to actually hate. 

IMO the league, it's rules allowing one-and-done college players, and its CBA are more to blame than Hinkie, as tanking for #1 picks and trading for players who are already retired just to cut them and build cap space has become the only way to build a team.  

He sold them that 3 years of putrid ball with at least a chance of getting some talent is better than 10 years of being some middle-to-bottom team with no direction. I can't disagree- but of course I'm not a big fan so I didn't lose anything. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Except that's not true. The Warriors drafted Klay and Steph later in the lottery, added some awesome role players, and had the best regular season ever.

The Hinkie plan, for all its supposed genius, is actually stupidly simple. If all it took to be good was to lose, more bad teams would be good. Or, put another way, if you get a bunch of assets, you've got to do something with them. The Hinkie plan got stuck on step 3 before step 4: $$$.

Other teams have managed to turn the corner; the Warriors are the easiest example. OKC was built without #1 picks. The Mavs swing in and out of being contenders. And so on. The Sixers were just lazy. They sold it as more than it was.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Philadelphia 76ers no longer exist. They are now the Philadelphia Stubhub 76ers. If it's on the jersey it's a part of your name.

This isnt europe, this is america...we left europe. We dont want limp wristed soccer pansies flopping around as team samsung ties team emirates 0-0. We dont want our hockey teams to skate around in gaudy costumes that look like a cross between liberace and krusty the clown as they do in europe. That is 2nd rate sports. 

I dont care how bad the Sixers are, they have a history, they have a legacy, and yes one small Stubhub patch is a horrible taint on that franchise. It deligitimizes them, it lowers the value of the brand, it obscures it, it cheapens it. 

It's time to draw a line in the sand. Draw it now. Boycott games, dont watch them, organize "occupy" type rallies in front of the arena. Taint the Stubhub brand, tear the logo off the jerseys and burn them outside the arena. Be loud, take to facebook, take to twitter, embarrass and humiliate the league and the Sixers.

Suffocate this baby in the crib before the Trojan Condom Yankees take on the Summers Eve Sox in a few years

And yes it CAN be done. Remember when the mlb owners wanted to stick spiderman ads on the bases way back in 2004. The traditional fans kicked and scream and it got canned. It's time for fans of all sports to be heard now.

The above post is completely ridiculous.

Anyway, if this is representative of the ads across all 30 teams (color coded 2 by 2 logo patches) I have no problem with this.

However, I do agree with posters who worry that it will get worse. I would propose some sort of rule or amendment to the current rules regarding basketball jerseys limiting ads to these 2 by 2 color coded logos.

YVRMUBj.png

4 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

The Philadelphia 76ers no longer exist. They are now the Philadelphia Stubhub 76ers. If it's on the jersey it's a part of your name.

I hope you also refer to all youth programs, high school, and/or college teams with the apparel manufacturer logos on uniforms with their name as well.

8 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

I hope you also refer to all youth programs, high school, and/or college teams with the apparel manufacturer logos on uniforms with their name as well.

The apparel manufacturer makes the jersey, that's totally apples and oranges and that's a reach rebuttel.

I'm drawing a line in the sand. I gather you're ok as it devolves into what euro sports has which is a total joke and clown show. If you're indifferent to it, as some are, then fine. Then you wont care if others go to war over the issue.

Sixers fans on facebook are livid fwiw. And it is a good sign. Burn, boycott, attack, and make sure this disgusting attempt is shamed and destroyed and never sees the light of day.

Bottom line is there needs to be pushback in regards to advertising in sports. Hockey may be the next domino to fall. Intermissions were extended during the previous lockout in order to cram in more commercials. Now we have floating digital ads on the boards. They need an earful as well and if they see the NBA torn apart in the media they may get the message

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

First team with an ad is the 76ers. Of course they would be the first team to do this. This isn't for the next season, but it's basically what the 76ers will wear for the 2017-18 season. These are not Nike jerseys.

Cikh32hUoAE7Fyf.jpg:large

UcteZ.gif

XM4KeeA.png

6 hours ago, jrodsep said:

$15 million total?!?!? Did I read that correctly? That's an absurdly small amount of money for something so small on the uniform and that ruins whatever ascetic the team wants to have.  

I'm seriously hoping that the owners realize that relatively small amount of money (to them) isn't worth pissing of their fans and decide to stop it once the three years are up.

4 hours ago, H11K said:

Those are so small you will hardly notice them, its not that big of an issue 

I have a terrible feeling that these aren't the only ads they'll push for though. I can see somebody trying to get an ad put below the numbers like many international basketball teams have. You have to let them know this isn't acceptable before it gets to that level. Soccer leagues justify their ads by keeping commercials out of matches or saying they keep ticket prices low. The NBA hasn't even pretended the ads will benefit its fans in any way. It's pure greed.

8bVWNl7.png.df4b40fc8bee1fb7b4442d7fc55c

47 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

The apparel manufacturer makes the jersey, that's totally apples and oranges and that's a reach rebuttel.

I'm drawing a line in the sand. I gather you're ok as it devolves into what euro sports has which is a total joke and clown show. If you're indifferent to it, as some are, then fine. Then you wont care if others go to war over the issue.

Sixers fans on facebook are livid fwiw. And it is a good sign. Burn, boycott, attack, and make sure this disgusting attempt is shamed and destroyed and never sees the light of day.

Bottom line is there needs to be pushback in regards to advertising in sports. Hockey may be the next domino to fall. Intermissions were extended during the previous lockout in order to cram in more commercials. Now we have floating digital ads on the boards. They need an earful as well and if they see the NBA torn apart in the media they may get the message

You gotta relax man. Sports are a business and a small ad doesn't effect your life. Get over it. Uniforms aren't sacred space. You're acting like a fool for suggesting people should attempt to burn jerseys, tarnish the Stubhub brand, organize rallies, etc. That's way over the top. The last thing we need in todays world is any of that happening because of advertising. 

And people on Facebook are "livid" 24/7 about everything. They'll get over it.

52 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

the apparel co doesn't always make the uniforms. Up until a couple of years ago (and still for a few teams) the uniforms are made by Ripon and reebok just had them see their logo on the sleeve. 

Look ok at the business world - how silly would it look if there was a logo on my dress shirt?  

When something represents one brand, there's no room for another brand's mark, and the inclusion of such mark is an advertisement - plain and simple, no debate.  

Archived