• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Just to circle back on my original point, I don't think the Hinkie plan was as sophisticated as some of the Sixers fans thought it was. They viewed the #1 pick as a silver bullet, and sometimes it is. Except that Duncan without Parker and Manu and Leonard probably doesn't win 4 additional titles. Those guys were all value picks.

For Hinkie, tanking for high picks was the end of his strategy. Scouting and drafting well weren't there. And scorching the franchise behind him was a bad idea too, because it makes Sixers money worth less than other franchises. Yes, basketball is different than other sports in that one player can have outsized impact on the court. However, the other guys matter too, and the silver bullet approach isn't really an approach at all. It's simple mindedness posing as revolutionary thinking.

I don't think it's fair to say that tanking was the end of Hinkie's strategy. He was forced out of the Sixers before he could see his plan to completion. And let's be real, Bryan Colangelo is not going to have a better plan for the Sixers than Hinkie did. We all saw the moves he made in Toronto when his dad wasn't around to make him look good: drafting Bargnani; trading the farm for T.J. Ford and Rudy Gay; overpaying Bargs, Jason Kapono and Landry Fields; riding the treadmill of mediocrity every year despite insisting they weren't. In contrast, Hinkie has stockpiled young talent and given the Sixers a ton of flexibility, which will now be wasted on mediocre players and a desperate drive towards the 8th seed.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Just to circle back on my original point, I don't think the Hinkie plan was as sophisticated as some of the Sixers fans thought it was. They viewed the #1 pick as a silver bullet, and sometimes it is. Except that Duncan without Parker and Manu and Leonard probably doesn't win 4 additional titles. Those guys were all value picks.

For Hinkie, tanking for high picks was the end of his strategy. Scouting and drafting well weren't there. And scorching the franchise behind him was a bad idea too, because it makes Sixers money worth less than other franchises. Yes, basketball is different than other sports in that one player can have outsized impact on the court. However, the other guys matter too, and the silver bullet approach isn't really an approach at all. It's simple mindedness posing as revolutionary thinking.

The way he set it up, they had a chance at 2 top-4 picks each of the last two years, and a possibility of 4 #1s this year, plus cap room, plus Dario Sarek coming over from Turkey or wherever, plus embiid, al at the same time (embiid wasn't intentional since they hoped to have him last year). 

It it was more than tanking, it was acquiring picks and contracts and continuously moving them around to time them to hit at once. 

Youre right of of course that there's no reason to believe that they would have made the right picks and signings, but it was at least a little more elegant than just a tank. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd have a little more faith in the Hinkie movement if he didn't do things like trade for Nik Stauskus. And also, I'm pretty sure Dario Saric would have been in the US by now if he wasn't hesitant to play for a Hinkie-produced team. So while Hinkie could create cap space and hoard assets, he also isolated himself from anyone wanting to do real business with him (except the Kings; the Stauskus trade was probably a net benefit for Philadelphia).

It's moot at this point, and I don't think Bryan Colangelo is the cure-all. I do think the Sixers deserve an outsized punishment for masquerading game theory as professional sports management.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I can't argue the players because I don't watch or know them. They deserve punishment for several reasons, the least of which for being run by hedge fund guys who see them as nothing but a means to forge "partnerships" with poker starz, stub hub, the Devils, etc. the on-court product means nothing at all to them. 

Just like it meant nothing to Ed snider and Comcast in the post Pat Croce era. It's a team that should be a "destination" franchise. Instead they might as well be the Bucks. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Guys, enough talking about the Blazers & Sixers.

This threads for jerseys, not NBA discussion... albeit, a very entertaining argument.

As for what the Blazers did, they did a retooling. I kept telling people the team wouldn't drop off as much as people thought. They dropped a lot of veteran weight for younger legs to build around Lillard. It was a smart plan and it paid off. They made the right calls with guys like Davis and Aminu.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Come on.  You know how it works (another stupid NBA thing.)  They drafted Noel.  The trade was done, it just wasn't allowed to be announced for some dumb reason.

Also, at the time, everybody nationally and locally thought Noel was a steal there. 

You know what, my bad...For some reason I didn't think that was a draft night trade. 

14 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'd have a little more faith in the Hinkie movement if he didn't do things like trade for Nik Stauskus. And also, I'm pretty sure Dario Saric would have been in the US by now if he wasn't hesitant to play for a Hinkie-produced team. So while Hinkie could create cap space and hoard assets, he also isolated himself from anyone wanting to do real business with him (except the Kings; the Stauskus trade was probably a net benefit for Philadelphia).

It's moot at this point, and I don't think Bryan Colangelo is the cure-all. I do think the Sixers deserve an outsized punishment for masquerading game theory as professional sports management.

???

He gave up literally nothing to get Stauskas and a 1st round pick just to assume the contracts of Jason Thompson and Carl Landry. Even if Stauskas is the worst player ever you got him for free with a 1st round pick.

And Saric hasn't come over because he contractually was locked into his deal in Europe for 2 years. There was rumors he'd be reluctant to come over this year, just to avoid the rookie pay scale (not the Sixers), but it doesn't seem like that's happening anymore.

The fact of the matter is; Hinkie was doing what needed to be done. He just didn't lie or be shy about it like other tanking teams do. And the NBA didn't like it. He compiled so many assets to set this team up for future for success. Now if you want to question his scouting/developing/use of those assets, that's another story, but the plan itself was the right thing to do. Hopefully Colangelo doesn't screw it all up by giving max deals to like the Brandon Jennings' of the world. That's how the Sixers ended up in this mess to begin with.

I'd rather win 15 games every year with the chance of eventually getting the superstar needed to win than win 30-40 and toil in the purgatory of first round playoff exits and late lottery picks. 

Since the Finals appearance in 2001 the Sixers have won only TWO playoff series. One in 2003, when they still had Iverson, and the other in 2012 because Derrick Rose got hurt. A drastic change needed to be made.

On 5/16/2016 at 3:47 AM, Old School Fool said:

First team with an ad is the 76ers. Of course they would be the first team to do this. This isn't for the next season, but it's basically what the 76ers will wear for the 2017-18 season. These are not Nike jerseys.

Cikh32hUoAE7Fyf.jpg:large

What's next, JanSport Warriors?  (JanSport is owned by VF Corporation right now, which is based in Alameda, California, and would appeal to school children, since they make backpacks.)

Stephen Curry JanSport.jpg

On 5/19/2016 at 11:21 PM, Shadojoker said:

I know the Blazers change their minds but you think they're going to go through a Rebrand soon. I know they didn't like what Adidas have 4 of them so they kept their current said but you guys think they might change their minds again?

The Blazers won't be changing anytime soon.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Hopefully not, but there have still been rumors swirling around of at least a logo change: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/239167/Blazers-Considering-Logo-Redesign

I would not be surprised if the Blazers were to Nike what the Seahawks were when the Swoosh took over the NFL. It would make even more sense for them to want to shine a light on the Blazers since it's the hometown team. Just speculation on my part, but it's a reasoned guess.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I would not be surprised if the Blazers were to Nike what the Seahawks were when the Swoosh took over the NFL. It would make even more sense for them to want to shine a light on the Blazers since it's the hometown team. Just speculation on my part, but it's a reasoned guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case either. Although if that does end up being true I would expect Nike to be much more restrained considering the Blazers have such a storied history with the pinwheel logo and (for most of their existence) the diagonal stripes on the jersey. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case either. Although if that does end up being true I would expect Nike to be much more restrained considering the Blazers have such a storied history with the pinwheel logo and (for most of their existence) the diagonal stripes on the jersey. 

Nike has spit in the face of tradition before:

AR-150419576.jpg

Just now, rickyISking said:

Nike has spit in the face of tradition before:

AR-150419576.jpg

Very true, but the Blazers are Nike's hometown team so I would think they would be much more in tune with the fanbase and therefore would be much more inclined to actually listen to them. The Blazers themselves actually conducted an online survey 2-3 years ago asking the fans about the current uniforms and logos and basically asking if they'd want a change and the overwhelming majority said no to a change. Considering that, I'm sure Nike and the Blazers wouldn't stray too far from what has become the identity of the franchise and team over the last 40+ years.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived