• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul-George-in-Gatorade-spot-USA-uniform

Not NBA per se, but Paul George (PG13) is wearing a number above 15.  Has the 4-15 jersey number rule changed for the Olympics?  (I know, just because he's wearing it here doesn't mean he will/won't be allowed to wear it in Rio; also, this was an old USA jersey and not the current one.)

http://www.vigilantsports.com/2016/06/23/source-paul-george-accepts-team-usa-invite-for-rio-olympics/

13 hours ago, JPDesign said:

No, that rule still exists. That shot was from the lead up to the 2014 FIBA World Cup. I believe he's wearing #13 for the Olympics.

No, since 10.2014 that rule not exists anymore :)

According to Official Basketball Rules 2014, FIBA :

Art 4.3.2
Teams are allowed to use the numbers 0 and 00 and from 1 to 99.

But USA team still use that 4-15 rule. Why? I don't know.

4r2eer.png

9 hours ago, truepg said:

The Rockets' current regular jerseys are iconic (simple, distinctive, memorable) and should stay, especially after the shoulder modification. Same goes for the logo.

Just curiuos as to why you believe the Rockets current jerseys are iconic? They haven't won or achieved anything of significance in those jerseys. I just think about Yao Ming and T-Mac unsuccessfully trying to make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs season-after-season, or years of said players enduring injuries.

Now the Olajuwon/Drexler/Horry "Clutch City" jerseys, I can see labeling those as iconic (at least if your from Houston). 

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

the RH rocketship logo is very clever. It just isn't iconic of anything in particular. Yao Ming, I guess, but Yao Ming was kind of overrated anyway.

I'd rather see the Rockets in a subtle update of the championship uniforms as a red, white, and yellow-orange team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yea the uniforms now just signify a failed attempt to replace Hakeem and drexler with Yao and T mac...I would go with the black jersey we saw revealed before last season just replace the black with ketchup and the red trim with mustard...done. 

18 hours ago, FamousAtticus said:

Just curiuos as to why you believe the Rockets current jerseys are iconic? They haven't won or achieved anything of significance in those jerseys. I just think about Yao Ming and T-Mac unsuccessfully trying to make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs season-after-season, or years of said players enduring injuries.

Now the Olajuwon/Drexler/Horry "Clutch City" jerseys, I can see labeling those as iconic (at least if your from Houston). 

By iconic, I didn't mean as in iconic of something (well, the Rockets in this case), but as in an iconic design, which having the qualities I listed inside the brackets make it.

The Olajuwon/Drexler/Horry unis, on the other hand, are a generic basketball uni design, which doesn't make them iconic in this sense.

I don't know that I'd go as far as to say iconic, but  they kinda sorta are.  The red and white rings are instantly identifiable and make you think of the Rockets, regardless of who is wearing them, and regardless of the context.  If there were t-shirts that just had the ring design, you'd know it was for the Rockets.  If there was a red car that just had white "rings" painted on the side, you'd probably think it was a Rockets promotional vehicle.  That's pretty much one of the definitions of "iconic".

They could maybe experiment with adding some yellow, but I think they're just right as is.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

At first, for some time during the T-Mac era, I didn't even notice that the rings on the away uni were gray and thought they were white. They could certainly fly as a red and white only team, removing the black drop shadow from the wordmark and the logo.

Archived