43 minutes ago, joshey said:

I love the piping on the new Grizz jersey but whats with (and what IS) that logo under the collar?

The wreath icon on the neckline was designed to represent the wreath that hangs where Dr. King was slain, and placed in the center of the uniform to remind us of his sacrifice and work for social justice and equality.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

Also nicely coincides with AI going into the HOF and one of the most iconic basketball photos of all time 

grant_r_SLAM99Cover.jpg

Nice catch; good memory.  By the way, has the NBA EVER used the Red White Blue ball for any preseason, regular season, playoff or all-star games (other than moneyball in the 3-pt. contest)?

3 hours ago, sayahh said:

Nice catch; good memory.  By the way, has the NBA EVER used the Red White Blue ball for any preseason, regular season, playoff or all-star games (other than moneyball in the 3-pt. contest)?

Preseason, yes. There were some games I recall them using it in the mid-90s. Nothing I recall from the regular season.

Let me go digging ...

5 hours ago, Josh.0 said:

Preseason, yes. There were some games I recall them using it in the mid-90s. Nothing I recall from the regular season.

Let me go digging ...

It would appear that you are correct.  A "good memory" compliment for you, too!
http://abc7news.com/sports/a-game-balls-road-to-the-nba-finals/773057/

From that article:

The NBA celebrated the anniversary of the ABA by allowing some of its ex-ABA teams to use a red, white and blue ball -- similar to what was used in the now-defunct league -- during a mid-1990s preseason game.

"I have no idea if they dribbled these balls three times and said they're good to go or what, but by the end of the first quarter, the home team uniforms had red white and blue on them, the floor had red white and blue on it," the executive said. "As soon as it got wet, as soon as it got sweat on it, it was a clown show."

EDIT: Found some screen shots, too:
http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/orlando-magic-1997?begindate=1997-10-13&enddate=1997-10-15&excludenudity=false&family=editorial&page=1&phrase=orlando magic 1997&recency=daterange&sort=mostpopular

1 hour ago, keynote said:

What is that white "O" with the red accents at the collar supposed to be?  It looks like a pull tab on a non-existent zipper.

From http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/mlk50-uniform-160914

Wreath

The wreath icon on the neckline was designed to represent the wreath that hangs where Dr. King was slain, and placed in the center of the uniform to remind us of his sacrifice and work for social justice and equality.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:45 PM, MCM0313 said:

Thanks for pointing that out to my OCD-having self, jerk. ;)

On 9/12/2016 at 6:30 AM, truepg said:

Jerk?? How did I offend you?

Mods, where ya at?

On 9/12/2016 at 9:16 AM, MCM0313 said:

'Twas a joke, hence the winking face. :)

Something about Memphis's jersey isn't sitting right with me. Translating one of our nation's worst tragedies through the lens of clever design meant for wear playing/supporting pro basketball strikes me as not the right note to take. I have always appreciated the NBA's embrace of the civil rights movement and this could have been far more tasteless, but it seems a little weird, too.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

That "new" Detroit Pistons is still in NBA 2K17 and appears along with every other teams logo in an image on the menu when you're setting up MyGM or MyLeague mode. The Pistons pulled this thing at the very last second to the point where it's still visible in the game. Terrible.

bSLCtu2.png

^ yea, you'd imagine they would say "EAST" and "WEST", too. let's hope to everything sacred that those aren't the unis.

that being said, I could very easily see Adidas mailing this one in since it's their last set of All-Star unis + the last-minute change of venue. fingers crossed.

Archived