• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Is the Thunder's navy alternate listed in the style guide for the upcoming season?  I ask because NBA 2K17 has it listed as "Classic Away" which is implying that the team has gotten rid of it.

That's correct.

OKC's set of unis for this upcoming season are the home, away, "sunset" alt, and the white sleeved alt.

3 hours ago, keynote said:

Here's another look at the Wizards' alt's new side panels.  I think the red horizontal stripes really distinguish it from the Sixers' side panels.

CsxA0VzXgAE7Y5f.jpg

Nothing says wizards to me anymore regarding this franchise. Should have changed the name when they changed the colors back to rwb 

9 hours ago, keynote said:

Here's another look at the Wizards' alt's new side panels.  I think the red horizontal stripes really distinguish it from the Sixers' side panels.

CsxA0VzXgAE7Y5f.jpg

Wall looks better in this then he does in a Cowgirls jersey. 

NYCdog.png

On 9/16/2016 at 1:55 PM, Shadojoker said:

At the 5min mark, you can see the Rockets court with the red paint and baselines! Confirmed what we saw weeks ago with their practice court.

It appears there's a "50 Seasons" logo/wordmark on the far side baseline. 

NYCdog.png

Oof.  DC is the *only* town where everyone wants to shoe-horn in some forced reference to the federal government in their sports franchise names.  Why can't DC teams just have random names like most other teams?

Here's my list of professional teams with names that refer to a unique or well-known attribute of the original host city/region and/or its culture[1]:

NFL: Steelers, Vikings, Texans, Saints, Cowboys, Patriots, 49ers, Patriots[1].  8 out of 32. 

MLB:  Orioles, Mets, Twins, Astros, Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Nats, Brewers, Rockies, Dodgers, Padres.  12 out of 30.

NBA:  Celtics, Knicks, Sixers, Pistons, Pacers, Hornets, Magic, Mavericks, Rockets, Spurs, Jazz.  11 out of 30. 

NHL:  Panthers, Senators, Blue Jackets, Caps, Flames, Stars/North Stars, Blues.  7 out of 30.

But when it comes to coming up with new names for DC franchises, it's always the "Delegates," or the "Feds," or the "Tax-and-Spenders," or "Monuments," or "Vetoes", etc.  :mad:  None of them work.  And mind you, no one bothers to identify anything *else* about the DC area to select.  No one's suggesting the "Washington Go-Gos," or the "Washington Mumbos".  And, of course, there's nothing wrong with naming a team after a generic animal predator. 

/rant

[1] I don't think I missed too many, but I could be wrong.  A few are arguable, obviously.  I didn't include the Dolphins, because Miami is far from unique in being a seaport city.  I also didn't recognize generic weather references (e.g., Phoenix isn't the only place that gets some sun; avalanches don't only happen in Colorado).  The Maple Leafs and Canadiens didn't count, since they're national identities used by non-capital cities (it's the equivalent of the "Cincinnati Stars and Stripes").  I counted the NHL Panthers (state animal of Florida), but not the NFL Panthers -- or the NFL Jaguars.  Some teams use imagery in their branding that relate to the city/region (e.g., the Seahawks' use of American Indian imagery) -- but that doesn't mean the name itself should count.  T.  The Bills are named after Buffalo Bill, who had no connection to the city.

Archived