The mavs identity right now just feels a little too dated a little hypocritical for a guy who wants them to go back to their 80s look I know but I would say that an 80s nostalgia trip beats new millennium junk anyday

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Cleveland finally played on their "new" court with the black out of bounds paint.. I'll find some pictures but I DID NOT SEE the subliminal sword at Center court..

That's gone in favor of the city skyline returning.

58 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

The Cavs should have gone with multiples courts. Have one wine/gold and the other black dominant. 

They also need to pick navy or black. There's no reason for a team to use both. 

They're using the black one. The navy was used temporary this year while they fixed the black court. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Wow, the Nets looked great last night, with the alt uniform that is based on the classic style.

Gallery: Nets vs. Knicks

On this uniform even that wispy number font looks good, while I hate it on their primary uniforms.

I confess that I have a weird relationship to the Nets.  Of my approximately 150 caps, the biggest single group -- perhaps 25 -- are Nets caps.  I have Nets jerseys and warmups; indeed, the Nets are the only team in any sport of which I have these items.

I have been a fan since the Dr. J days.  On the wall of my high school gymnasium there was a life-size full-body picture of alumnus Billy Schaeffer in the team's magnificent classic uniform.

Image result for billy schaeffer nets

But I have also had a periods of severe disconnection.  And, what's worse, I jumped to the Knicks during the Rick Pitino / Mark Jackson years.  (That team was too entertaining to ignore; and it pains me to see any other Knick player wearing no. 13, which should be retired.)

I am currently in one of those periods of disconnection from the Nets; I haven't really followed the team in more than two years.  And I realise that my level of interest is dictated by the uniforms.  

For example, I largely missed the Petrovic period because the Nets were wearing a terrible uniform style, including their worst-ever road uniform -- that blue jobbie with the tie-dye effect.

Image result for drazen petrovic

But the beautiful uniform that they adopted in 1997, which they kept until 2012 (at least the home version), brought me back.  I was so pleased to see that the team's rise to dominance took place in those gorgeous and dignified uniforms. 

Image result for 2002 nets

And the grey version of the road uniform was a great additional twist.  (By the way, this grey uniform is missing from the Nets' page on the main site.)

The occasional use of the classic unis during that period (even, most spectacularly, in the 2003 Finals) was always a wonderful treat.

Image result for nets throwback uniforms

But the uniform change upon the move to Brooklyn in 2012 really bothered me.  I tried to get on board with it; indeed, initially I was happy that that the uniform was understated rather than garish.  And I liked (and still like) the shield logo; I have several hats and other garments with that logo.

But my connection was fraying; and the team was seemingly doing everything it could to drive me away.  First was the stupid name.  The team was once the New York Nets; and it should have returned to that name.  Then they de-emphasised the primary shield logo and improperly used the unattractive secondary circular logo in its place, for example at centre court.  And on the uniform front, they didn't wear the nickname at home, and used those terrible thin numbers.

But seeing the uniforms from last night really made me feel good.  And I also like the home uniform with the sleeved jerseys that use the classic pattern (though I am not totally sure if that set is in the rotation this year).

Image result for nets alternate uniforms

So, while I know that the Nets lost, blowing a big lead against the most hated rival, I nevertheless enjoyed watching the game last night just for the uniforms.  I realise that caring more about the uniforms than about the team itself makes me a bad fan of the team.  But I have to accept that the uniforms are what drives me.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Are the Warriors' 70th anniversary patches only supposed to be a home uni thing? I didn't see it tonight for the Warriors' home game. 

They scrapped it for some reason. They wore it first game or two and then noticed it wasn't on the road uniform. They returned back home and it was gone from the home uniform also.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Archived