Pittsburgh Penguins 50th Anniversary Logo Concept

Jake88

·   

·         Hi guys, long time no post, (topic, I guess) but here's something I designed last night, a redo of the Pittsburgh Penguins 50th Anniversary logo. They unveiled the original, found here, earlier this week, and in my opinion its very meh, so naturally I tried fixing it to something of my liking. I felt the original was going to be repetitious on the jersey, with two large Penguin logos right on the front, and the large "50 YEARS banner unnecessary, especially the use of the word years. To make it simpler here are my likes/necessities and dislikes of the logo:

-Pittsburgh Gold, no Vegas anywhere

-Founding date to current date

-Roundel Base

Dislikes

-Large Penguin Logo: A small one would be fine, but this large is repetitious

-Inconsistent outlines: Seriously, there are so many different stroke sizes it’s unnecessary

-Stanley Cups: Although it’s a nice feature, it could (should) change this year, and it adds grey to a design that shouldn’t have it

- 50 YEARS: Yeah, we get it, they’ve been around for 50 *years* and seeing the 50 alone gets the point across

So here’s my concept, the design is somewhat inspired by this Pittsburgh Pirates (hockey) logo, as is the jersey I made to go along with the logo. It’s contains the roundel base, which I believe the Pens especially can use since they’ve used it in their first season and were one of the firsts to use it, and an old-time font (Vols 2013 by Conrad). It also includes the gold triangle which has been used in every Pens logo.  

Pittsburgh%2BPenguins%2B50th%2BAnniversa

Hope you like it, and any comments good or bad are welcome as always

Jake88%2BSignture.png

9 hours ago, Morgo said:

I wish the teams logo was incorporated in some way but this is solid.

Yeah, this is something I wanted to do as well, but couldn't find a way. I tried it in between the 5 and the 0, and rather than the gold triangle, a silhouette of their logo, but both looked awkward.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Put a penguin head above the 50 and below the city name and it's good. It needs a penguin in there somewhere, otherwise it could just be a logo for any team.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Put a penguin head above the 50 and below the city name and it's good. It needs a penguin in there somewhere, otherwise it could just be a logo for any team.

This is what I was afraid of, but since the Pens don't use a stand alone Penguin head anywhere in their branding I don't think that this is the best option.

For reference, here's what the logo looks like with the silhouette which for including the logo, I feel is my best option.

56bf7f1911bea_PittsburghPenguins50thAnni

Jake88%2BSignture.png

5 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

I like the first version better. I think the triangle is enough to convey that this logo was meant for the Penguins. No other NHL logo I can think of uses that shape. Well... There's the Sharks, but that's not an equilateral triangle.

Just now, ahowe6464 said:

The first version is definitely better. Just the triangle keeps it simple and cleaner

Yeah, I completely agree with you guys, but I was asked to include the logo, and I went with that. As of now the first is still the final version

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Archived