sc49erfan15's "Who Am I?" - NASCAR/Daytona 500 Edition

sc49erfan15

I'm proud to have received sponsorship from infrared41 for another season of "Who Am I?", NASCAR edition! With the Sprint Unlimited tonight and the Daytona 500 next Sunday, it's time to get this going.

Much like infrared's NFL "Who Am I?", most (but not all) of the drivers will be from the "modern era" (c. 1970-present) of NASCAR. For the sake of simplicity, I will not differentiate between "Sprint/Nextel/Winston Cup," etc. Modern terminology such as "Sprint Cup" will be used to refer to NASCAR's top series, "Xfinity Series" the second-level series, and so forth, regardless of when the specific driver competed (e.g., "I won 200 Sprint Cup races" for Richard Petty).

Also, as it tends to be a general rule for infrared's NFL "Who Am I?" - the more well-known the driver, the tougher the clues, and vice-versa.

Let's play!

Round 1:

I. I am one of 11 drivers that can say this.

II. I'm in a 5 driver subset of those 11.

III. I hold this NASCAR record and Daytona record. Neither will likely fall anytime soon.

IV. I won this so much, I stopped trying and let others have a chance.

V. I was involved in a business venture with someone who could very easily be an answer in infrared41's Super Bowl "Who Am I?"

Who am I?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dont care said:

Bill Elliott?

dont care for the win. Awesome Bill from Dawsonville it is. 

Bill-Elliott-1-26.jpg  bill-elliot-1987-Daytona-500-winner.jpg

I. Elliott is one of 11 drivers to win the Daytona 500 more than once, in 1985 and 1987.

II. Of those 11 multiple-500 winners, 5 have won from the pole.

III. Elliott holds the records for fastest qualifying lap in NASCAR history (212.809 mph at Talladega in 1987) as well as the fastest qualifying lap at Daytona (210.364 mph, also in 1987). Such high speeds and their inherent danger led to NASCAR introducing the restrictor plate at superspeedways, leaving a 212+ mph lap out of the question for a while.

IV. Elliott won NASCAR's Most Popular Driver award a record 16 times. After winning it in 2002, he withdrew his name from the ballot. His son, Chase, also won the Xfinity Most Popular Driver award twice, in 2014-15.

V. Elliott teamed up with Dan Marino in 1998 to form Elliott-Marino Racing.

Check back tomorrow for Round 2!

Round 2:

I. I was the last person to do this before Dale Earnhardt.

II. I was involved in one of Daytona's worst accidents.

III. What I did the next week wouldn't possibly be allowed today.

IV. I share a modern-era NASCAR record that can possibly be broken in 2018.

V. Despite never winning at Daytona, I'm in their Hall of Fame.

Who am I?

Ricky Rudd?

- He won in the #3 before Dale Earnhardt; actually giving Richard Childress his 1st (Riverside) and 2nd wins (Martinsville) as an owner in 1983.

- He was involved in that nasty crash in the Busch Clash...in 1984, I believe. (He won the next race after the 500 at Richmond Fairgrounds, still with his eyes partially swollen.)

- He taped his eyes open because they were so swollen, allowing him to race in the Daytona 500.

I'm not quite sure about #4 and #5, especially considering his Iron Man record was broken by Jeff Gordon back at New Hampshire in the Fall.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

It is indeed Ricky Rudd, my personal all-time favorite driver.

rickyrudd_635.jpg  nascar-cup-indianapolis-1997-race-winner

I. In 1983, Rudd was the last driver to drive (and also win in) the #3 car, before basically swapping rides with Dale Earnhardt for the 1984 season.

II. Rudd's flip in the 1984 Busch Clash is one of Daytona's worst accidents. Rudd's left arm was actually hanging out of the window as it flipped across pit road.

III. Suffering from a concussion and facial swelling from the flip, Rudd raced the 1984 Daytona 500 with his eyes taped open - and finished 7th. The next week at Richmond, eyes still taped, Rudd won the race.

IV. In each of the 16 seasons from 1983-1998, Rudd won at least one race every Sprint Cup season - a modern-day NASCAR record he shares with Rusty Wallace (1986-2001). The pre-modern-day records are held by Richard Petty (18, 1960-1977) and David Pearson (17, 1964-1980). Jimmie Johnson has won one race in every season since 2002, and will break the modern-day record if he wins in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
V. Rudd never won a NASCAR race at Daytona, but was inducted into Daytona's Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame in 2014.

Round 3 tomorrow!

21 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

It is indeed Ricky Rudd, my personal all-time favorite driver.

rickyrudd_635.jpg  nascar-cup-indianapolis-1997-race-winner

I. In 1983, Rudd was the last driver to drive (and also win in) the #3 car, before basically swapping rides with Dale Earnhardt for the 1984 season.

II. Rudd's flip in the 1984 Busch Clash is one of Daytona's worst accidents. Rudd's left arm was actually hanging out of the window as it flipped across pit road.

III. Suffering from a concussion and facial swelling from the flip, Rudd raced the 1984 Daytona 500 with his eyes taped open - and finished 7th. The next week at Richmond, eyes still taped, Rudd won the race.

IV. In each of the 16 seasons from 1983-1998, Rudd won at least one race every Sprint Cup season - a modern-day NASCAR record he shares with Rusty Wallace (1986-2001). The pre-modern-day records are held by Richard Petty (18, 1960-1977) and David Pearson (17, 1964-1980). Jimmie Johnson has won one race in every season since 2002, and will break the modern-day record if he wins in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
V. Rudd never won a NASCAR race at Daytona, but was inducted into Daytona's Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame in 2014.

Round 3 tomorrow!

And I call myself a Rudd fan and I completely forgot about Rudd's 16-year race winning streak.

I totally blanked on that little fact...I really can't believe I'd forget something like that; from my all-time favorite driver and my favorite growing up... :-X

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Round 3:

I. I'm not from where you think I'm from.

II. I was probably smiling as I crossed the finish line at Daytona for the last time.

III. Only one other driver won in one.

IV. You could say I have something in common with Gale Sayers.

V. There is controversy surrounding exactly how many wins I have.

Who am I?

58 minutes ago, raysox said:

Bobby Allison, based on 1. He's from Miami, and 2. being his 1-2 finish with Davey in the 500 in 1988

Nailed it! It's Bobby Allison.

Bobby_Allison_bobbydavey88.jpg   0471450001422136899_filepicker.jpg

I. Despite being one of the founding members of the "Alabama Gang," Allison grew up in Miami and didn't move to Alabama until he was 22.

II. Bobby Allison won the 1988 Daytona 500, with his son Davey finishing 2nd. Due to injuries sustained later that season at Pocono, Bobby would retire from driving - but left his last race at Daytona a winner.

III. Allison drove an AMC Matador in 1974-75 and 1977. He won 4 races in a Matador, the only other driver to win driving an AMC car was Mark Donohue in 1973.

IV. Admittedly a bit of a stretch here - Allison is tied for third all-time Daytona 500 wins, with 3 (1978, 1982, 1988). Gale Sayers' autobiography was entitled "I Am Third."
V. Allison is credited by some as having 85 Sprint Cup wins, but NASCAR officially credits him with 84. The controversy stems from the now-obsolete "combination races" that NASCAR sometimes ran until the 1990s or so, mixing competitors from multiple series' and counting drivers' points depending on where they finished in relation to their series competitors. It's a long story, but Allison won a Grand National/Grand American (think Sprint Cup/Xfinity Series, but not quite) combination race in 1971 at Bowman-Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem, NC, driving a (smaller) car sanctioned for the Grand American series.

Check back for round 4 tomorrow!

19 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Nailed it! It's Bobby Allison.

0471450001422136899_filepicker.jpg

III. Allison drove an AMC Matador in 1974-75 and 1977. He won 4 races in a Matador, the only other driver to win driving an AMC car was Mark Donohue in 1973.

I had no idea AMC even ran in NASCAR, let alone had a few wins. A freaking AMC Matador winning a NASCAR race. You guys are probably too young to get just how ridiculous that sounds. This should help...B)

y20.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

23 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I had no idea AMC even ran in NASCAR, let alone had a few wins. A freaking AMC Matador winning a NASCAR race. You guys are probably too young to get just how ridiculous that sounds. This should help...B)

It wasn't the most aerodynamic looking car out there... I've seen pugs with longer noses.

Mark-DonohueandhisMatador.jpg

...but it looks like they improved the look of the car later. This actually looks like it could belong on a NASCAR track:

1974-nascar-5.jpg

My dad was a big fan of both Bobby Allison and Neil Bonnett. I had a picture of Bobby Allison's Matador (similar to the one above) on the wall in my room as a kid - I'm not exactly sure why or where it came from (this would've been in the early '90s), but it resulted in me having an affinity for that paint scheme.

Anyway, back to the absurdity of AMC Matadors winning NASCAR races - I think it sounds equally weird today to say that Buicks and Oldsmobiles competed in NASCAR as late as the early 1990s... case in point, Bobby Allison's Miller High Life Buick above.

Round 4:

I. I'm still involved in NASCAR.

II. I'm linked to a quarterback and a running back that could be answers to infrared41's Super Bowl "Who Am I?"

III. I'm one of nine drivers that can say this.

IV. There is controversy surrounding exactly how many wins I should have.

V. An injury I suffered led to the only driver from this continent ever to start a Sprint Cup race.

Who am I?

Archived