Greatest Football Helmets of All Time

TheRealCamHart

7 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I think this Army helmet is one of the all time great helmets. The uniform is one of my all time favorites.

5a1d8bd34f2867a18e1344f35d038969.jpg

Yes because they are an actual army team, any other team that does this outside of the citadel or VMI just looks like they are pandering.

I read this is the story around the large facemasks which Joe Namath wore late in his career. Essentially, Namath suffered some sort of facial injury so his helmet was fitted with one of the large "open eye" cage facemask, which were popular among linebackers at the time. However, Namath complained that his mask hit his shoulder pads as he looked hard to his left and right. Namath experimented with several versions of these large mask, but the problem remained. So to remedy this, his helmet was fitted with an old "cow catcher" facemask from the late 1950's. Apparantly Namath liked this facmask and continued to use it even after he went to the Rams, even though it required some custom work to mount it to the newer helmets.

namath-qb_pg_600.jpg

namath-3at3-story.jpg

25 minutes ago, dont care said:

How is the chargers helmet not just the logo on the helmet?

It's most like their logo now but it happened in reverse (helmet design becomes the logo rather than logo being slapped on the helmet). They have had various logos building up to this that were very different and only recently started using the simple bolt seen on the helmets from day one.

7eal5wvezd2xhsn5rlwhx6sh2.gifsuper_chargers.gifc53376e34d499a7986caafd774d79bdb.jpgsan_diego_chargers.png

To me, it's the total package. The helmet itself along with the facemask, colors and the logos/paint. For instance, I love the Bengals colors and design but the pic that hawk36 posted is of a Riddell Revolution which IMO is the ugliest helmet ever made. I wish he had posted a pic of a Bengals Riddell Speed or Speed Flex that would show how cool the colors/stripes are. Unfortunately, my son is wearing a Revolution this season and it drives me crazy just because it is so freaking ugly! I think it's the way the facemask is curved on the sides near the mounting points. I recently discovered that Schutt actually made a couple of facemasks for the Riddell Revolution which are shaped more traditionally on the sides. This improves the looks of the helmet dramatically IMO. I wish I had discovered this earlier! Here's a pic of the Steeler's Brett Keisel wearing a Revolution with the Schutt facemask. 

Brett Keisel.jpg

Brett-Keisel.jpg

I'm not very clear on whether or not this is "greatest helmet models", or "greatest helmet designs". 

That said, I'll post both to be safe!

As far as helmet models, even as a 90's kid, I've always loved the look of the simple vintage two-bar. Classic, classic, classic. 

IMG_5136.JPG

And as far as designs that haven't been mentioned yet, I've always LOVED the red-to-black fade helmet San Diego State used to wear. Every version of it was a beauty (even if sometimes, the rest of the uniform set wasn't):

IMG_5137.JPG