Greatest Football Helmets of All Time

TheRealCamHart

I didn't like the Revo speed at first, but I've gotten used to it. It'll never be my favorite helmet as long as there's a big ass hole and ridge where a logo often sits. I am skeptical that it is entirely due to safety and think those measures could've been implemented just as effectively with less intrusion into the logo space.

I think it more has to do with Riddell losing the ability to put their logo on NFL helmet bumpers and so now they have to find creative ways to brand their helmets. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/7/2016 at 2:08 PM, IceBurgs70 said:

Check out the facemask Doug Williams wore back in 1979...

Image result for 1982 dallas cowboys

Image result for doug williams tampa bay buccaneers

EA glitch.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 10/7/2016 at 5:08 PM, IceBurgs70 said:

Check out the facemask Doug Williams wore back in 1979...

Image result for 1982 dallas cowboys

Image result for doug williams tampa bay buccaneers

The "You broke your left jaw and therefore we won't worry about the right jaw" facemask.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/11/2016 at 7:39 AM, McCarthy said:

I don't think he actually appeared in a game with this single bar facemask, but Flutie was the best

Flutie.jpg

I believe he did, in his final game. He also kicked a field goal in his last NFL snap. I'm not certain about the first part though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/12/2016 at 7:00 AM, MJWalker45 said:

I believe he did, in his final game. He also kicked a field goal in his last NFL snap. I'm not certain about the first part though.

He kicked in the final game but he did not wear the facemask.  Scott Player was the last person to wear one in a game and he got a special grandfather dispensation from the NFL after they banned the single bar.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/2102/face-of-the-nfl-is-gone-an-ode-to-the-single-bar

• 1 month later...

I think this was the best suspension system helmet ever made. The MacGregor clear shell. The clear shell was actually painted from the inside. The leather cover padded suspension system was the most comfortable that I ever wore. As an 11 and 12 year old, several of these were passed down from our high school to our recreation department. This example was used by the Cardinals.

MacGregor.jpg

MacGregor2.jpg

On 10/6/2016 at 9:50 AM, McCarthy said:

The only guy who could pull that facemask off was Thurman Thomas

40278.jpg

I'll see your Thurman Thomas and raise one Hanford Dixon. (on the left he's wearing the one year only '84 Browns uniforms.) I think he pulled off that mask pretty well too. 

hanford-dixon2jpg-98660f2486c4d959.jpg2kZoIK3.jpg

But I think he looked much cooler with this mask...

e194cc831957d2027c90f72e2b9f90f5.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

But I think he looked much cooler with this mask...

e194cc831957d2027c90f72e2b9f90f5.jpg

Has to be on the Top-10 NFL uniforms of all-time list. #clevejackedagain!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived