NFL Minor League Concepts - The AFL

PackMan

I have been working on ideas for the NFL's minor league. It was originally named the IFL, but realizing that the idea was already taken, I switched to AFL. And it might confuse you when you ask why. The backstory is that in 1930, the AFL was founded as the IFL with 11 teams. The league was able to keep up with the NFL, as the IFL added more teams when their parent league did. Over time, the league became slowly unstable, and franchise relocations were at an all-time high. In 1970, just like the NFL merged with the AFL, the IFL merged with the AFL's minor league, the WFA, and the 2 leagues now went by the AFL name, with teams as far west as Portland, and as far south as Jacksonville. Today the league has 32 teams, just like the NFL. We have a preview of one of these teams right here. Now for each concept I post, I will be doing it by division, and will state their backstory. Now, presenting the Columbus Triangles, top farm team to the Denver Broncos, who will begin play this season.

Columbus Triangles

56c51f9a6ac3e_ColumbusTrianglesUni.thumb

Although the modern Triangles were founded in 1960 as the Utah Trotters, who played until 2002, the roots of the team go back to 1929, when the original Columbus Triangles were formed as an independent farm team for the NFL's Dayton Triangles. In 1930, the Triangles joined the IFL, and even though their parent team became the Brooklyn Dodgers, the Triangles name and colors were kept. The team played for 56 seasons as the Triangles, and in 1984, they changed their name to the Columbus Redskins, to signify their new affiliation with Washington. In 1990, the Triangles moved to Sacramento, and that was the end of minor league football in Columbus, until the 2016 season comes, as the team will end up being revived after popular demand.

Relocation History:

Utah Trotters (WFA) (1960-1969)

Utah Trotters (AFL) (1970-2002)

Dayton Broncos (2003-2015)

Columbus Triangles (2016-present)

591ec53b9bf0a_ABLChamps.png.988aea6f30fd9cb827c4ad87f8b6d031.png

It's a cool concept, but that Broncos logo looks WAY out of place for a couple reasons.

The team's name is the Triangles. What would the team mascot be? Second, the uniform is pretty simple, but good, The detailed horse logo looks too busy on the shoulder. I get that it's like the NHL-AHL thing but football uniforms are way different than hockey uniforms. The top teir team's logo could go somewhere else (like the bumper, or back of the neck, etc.), just not the shoulder. This should apply to all teams.

The uniform is good but some nitpicks. There should be some orange on the pants to balance the colours. The number and name on the back should be shrunk slightly and moved up.

I think we would all like to see other uniforms, too. Home, road, alternates, you get the point.

I hope this helps. I'm not trying to be harsh. I see the potential and I want it to grow.

Wouldn't the AFL need sponsors to help cover costs like a lot of the other minor leagues do?

As timberwolf has posted, get rid of the Broncos logo and use the triangles, replace Columbus on the front of the jumper with Broncos or Denver.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

1 hour ago, timberwolf said:

It's a cool concept, but that Broncos logo looks WAY out of place for a couple reasons.

The team's name is the Triangles. What would the team mascot be? Second, the uniform is pretty simple, but good, The detailed horse logo looks too busy on the shoulder. I get that it's like the NHL-AHL thing but football uniforms are way different than hockey uniforms. The top teir team's logo could go somewhere else (like the bumper, or back of the neck, etc.), just not the shoulder. This should apply to all teams.

Columbus Triangles is an original NFL team

8 hours ago, RyanB03 said:

Good idea going here, can't wait to see the others, but I just don't understand why Denver's minor league team is all the way across the country in Columbus...

Well, the AFL does have plans of realigning the affiliation system in the 2017 season...

591ec53b9bf0a_ABLChamps.png.988aea6f30fd9cb827c4ad87f8b6d031.png

Archived