If you could prevent ANY relocation in sports history from happening, which one would you prevent?

FlyEaglesFly76

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whalers. That way the team would actually have a fan base that cares about them. Unlike the Hurricanes who are the only team who can say that they didn't gain any fans from Winning a Stanley Cup...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Sonics, obviously. Chris Hansen acted like a :censored: with the Kings arena, but Kevin Johnson is a terrible person so that's a wash.

I liked the Expos too, but I don't think Montreal did very much. They at least didn't show up much in the final years.

I'm ambivalent on the Oilers and Whalers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

49 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Thanks. Can we get Kramer that belt, Majestic XII?

Don't do that.

My vote would go to Seattle.  The Sonics seem to have meant more to that town than the other teams to the other towns.  I can't hold the ownership situation against the fans.  I would just hope they'd come back with better uniforms than their last ones.  I know they were a homage to their title team, but they could have been so much better.

Second goes to Hartford.  Without them, we wouldn't have classic movie quotes like "breakfasts come and go, but Hartford?  The Whale?  They only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

45 minutes ago, generalshepherd141 said:

Just imagine the possibilities with this one; Ray Lewis hoisting the Lombardi Trophy...as a Cleveland Brown? Now that would be something.

Just one man's opinion, but Ray pulls off a Browns uniform off quite well.

CLEVELAND-BROWN-RAY-LEWIS-CELEBRATES-WIT

6uXNWAo.png

As a Connecticut native, I have to say the Whalers. I was a Rangers fan even when the Whalers existed (I grew up in a part of Connecticut that's closer to New York City), but they were Connecticut's only professional team, and one of the few things Connecticut could truly call its own.

Rationally, the Sonics would make the most sense to bring back. The NBA leaving Seattle was truly asinine, and the Sonics had an incredibly dedicated fanbase. To boot, they also had a far superior identity to the dumpster fire that is the Thunder's identity.

I certainly wish that the Oilers hadn't moved from Houston (I absolutely loved their entire identity), but as others have mentioned, Houston has wound up embracing the Texans, and they're carving out a nice fanbase for themselves. Wish it could've been the Oilers still playing in Houston, but if you give me a choice between NBA-less Seattle getting the Sonics back, versus Houston having the Oilers rather than the Texans, I have to go with the Sonics.

Have to admit, I would not move the Expos back to Montreal. It's unfortunate what happened to baseball in Montreal after the strike, but there were a slew of factors at play there. I don't think Montreal was quite as bad a baseball market as the early 2000s made it seem, but I also don't think it would be nearly as strong as some of its supporters claim. The fact that they drew 50,000 fans for a Blue Jays game doesn't really indicate strength as an overall market to me - those were one-off events reliant on a mix of nostalgia, novelty, and proximity to the Jays' fanbase in Toronto.

One of the oft unspoken reasons for the Expos' demise was Bill 101 - much of Montreal's anglophone population fled Quebec throughout the 1980s, and a ton of businesses relocated to Toronto (or elsewhere in Canada) during that time. When the Expos were founded in 1969, Montreal was a rising city in the midst of hosting a series of prominent international events (1967 Expo, 1976 Olympics, etc.), with a strong mix of anglophone and francophone populations, and was still the business/financial capital of Canada. (It's easy to underrate the importance of a large corporate base in supporting a team, both with advertising and ticket/luxury box sales.) By the 1990s, it was a team playing in an aging, decrepit stadium, in a city whose corporate base had largely fled, in a province whose demographics had rapidly changed.

Even without the 1994 strike, the Expos would've still had an uphill battle to survive long-term in Montreal. Having a team in Washington (a glaring omission by baseball for 30+ years) benefits MLB way more than having one in Montreal, at this point.

Whalers.  Carolina doesn't need an NHL team, & apparently with their attendance numbers, they agree with me.

Washington DC was beyond overdue for baseball, so I won't negate that move.

Houston has the Texans & a new stadium.

Sonics will return one day so I'm not worried; Whalers never will.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

As a Connecticut native, I have to say the Whalers. I was a Rangers fan even when the Whalers existed (I grew up in a part of Connecticut that's closer to New York City), but they were Connecticut's only professional team, and one of the few things Connecticut could truly call its own.

CT ppl with money should buy the NJ Devils & move them to Hartford.  I hear there's money over there.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

4 hours ago, Cujo said:

Just one man's opinion, but Ray pulls off a Browns uniform off quite well.

CLEVELAND-BROWN-RAY-LEWIS-CELEBRATES-WIT

You know, I've wondered if you can get a customized number 52 Lewis Browns jersey. Any attempt to recreate such a jersey would turn out like this, though:

chapter-11-jersey.png?w=600&h=350

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived