Why you wear what you wear...

chcarlson23

As it's hockey jersey day, in part of Hockey Weekend across America, I'm wearing my Green Mikko Koivu Minnesota Wild third sweater. I got this jersey because Koivu is my favorite player. But once the Wild unveiled the new road jersey, I wanted to get one. But I couldn't decide on who to put on the back. Then it happened. Nino Niederreiter scored the OT game winning, series clinching goal in game 7 against the Avalanche! That's when I wanted to get a Nino jersey. Regardless of what happens in the rest of his career, that moment will be my favorite. (Unless of course he scores the cup winning goal :D) So I got one! And some other ones I have are because I loved the design of the jersey. 

Why do you have a specific jersey? What memories tie in with it?  

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

My friend and I have always had a hockey jersey Friday for years now. It starts on the first Friday of the regular season, and ends when your team is eliminated from the playoffs (Pittsburgh for me, Anaheim for him.) I always start off with my favorite jersey, a Vancouver Canucks Trevor Linden jersey, second Friday is my Mario Lemieux one, then I wear whichever I want that day. Wearing an Anchorage Aces jersey I got when I was working for the team way back when...

I went on a bit of an eBay binge over the summer, buying Arsenal jerseys. Most of the ones I bought have specific memories attached to them, though. The 2002-2003 away shirt will always be associated with the time period when I first started following Arsenal, and mostly with the FIFA soccer game I had for PlayStation at the time. The 2005-2006 away shirt not only looks good, but I remember it from the 2006 UEFA Champions League final, which the Gunners lost to Barcelona. The home shirt from the same year was their redcurrant Farewell to Highbury one. And the 2012-2014 home shirt was a must-buy after Arsenal won the 2014 FA Cup wearing it, their first trophy in years.

Then, of course, I also bought the 2012-2013 purple-and-black and 2007-2008 maroon-and-navy hooped away shirts just because I think they look nice. ^_^

Archived