Introducing the Legends Hockey League!

CanucksBrad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More of an execution thing, but your captain's patches are way too small, on pretty much all the jerseys... Other than that, great job on the Racers!

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Things I LOVE:

Milwaukee Porters Home and Alternate need to be swapped. The black jersey is BY FAR superior to the blue jersey. The logo gets lost with blue on blue. Maybe add an alternate logo to the blue jersey?

Indy Racers design is the strongest IMO. But the main logo you presented ins't on the jersey at all? I would recommend the state logo as a shoulder patch. 

Portland Pioneers... Good idea but the coon skin cap is not needed on the home and away jerseys. Just use the circular P logo on the Home and Away. Use the coon skin cap on the alternate. It works very well. Keeping it as is, you are forcing the cap so hard with too many clashing colors.

I like that you are very consistent with all of your uniforms. Most of them seem to continue the same color patterns and that's really a selling point to me. However, I do like that you break the mold on a few of the teams with the alternate. 

London Royals Home: Replace the silver with black or purple. Where the hell did silver come from lol? I also think the inside of the jersey on the away should be white and not black or purple - seems to just be a missed edit before uploading. Or the Home shouldn't be yellow and follow suit with the away and alternate having dark backgrounds. Another option to keep the Home and Away jerseys looking very slick and without adding black I would recommend this: On the home replace the first white line with yellow, second stripe white, third stripe yellow and then purple on the bottom half. It would keep the jersey with a three color balance.

Things I HATE:

You already have team captains? WTF. You could have atleast displayed all of the concepts first and then had a fun draft. But man, now it's kinda spoiled :( It would have been alot of fun to not know who was on what team and maybe let us vote on who should be captains of what franchise.

Also dislike using a few older professional team names. I love the Hartford Whalers alot but really? As I said before I really like your Indy Racers concept but man, keep doing original work. You have a good thing going here.

Arenas capacity for some of these teams. Really?? There shouldn't be some arenas with 5k and others with 17k. There should be some middle ground to find a common number for each city. I know it's a fantasy league but damn, unless there is a hard cap, NO ONE would want to play for the small market teams.

Hamilton Tigers Away jersey should have a black collar - not yellow.

Portland Pioneers Away jersey either have blue on the sleeves by the wrist to match the bottom hem or make it all white. The blue on the bottom hem looks very out of place with white cuffs. If you added blue to the bottom of each jersey you COULD make the alternate pants blue as well and really tie all the jerseys together. If you make the bottoms of each jerseys the same as the base color then the stripes really stand out as the strong point of the design. It's really up to you to decide the vision of the team. I personally would focus on making the stripes the standout of this design.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I like this series. Just voicing my opinions to help make it better.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

@worcat Thank you so much for your compliments and criticisms. I really appreciate that you took the time to look at each concept and gave me input on what you liked and what you didn't. When I have time at home I will address your design specific comments, but for now I will address your overall concept comments.

12 hours ago, worcat said:

Things I HATE:

You already have team captains? WTF. You could have atleast displayed all of the concepts first and then had a fun draft. But man, now it's kinda spoiled :( It would have been alot of fun to not know who was on what team and maybe let us vote on who should be captains of what franchise.

Also dislike using a few older professional team names. I love the Hartford Whalers alot but really? As I said before I really like your Indy Racers concept but man, keep doing original work. You have a good thing going here.

Arenas capacity for some of these teams. Really?? There shouldn't be some arenas with 5k and others with 17k. There should be some middle ground to find a common number for each city. I know it's a fantasy league but damn, unless there is a hard cap, NO ONE would want to play for the small market teams.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I like this series. Just voicing my opinions to help make it better.

The only reason I even had captains was just so that I could have a name and number to put on the back. I never thought of doing anything beyond creating the concepts for each team. Yeah I could have done more to it like many of the awesome sim fantasy league that goo n for years and years, but that wasn't my intention here, I would just wanted to create some teams and work on and improve my logos and design work.

Yeah I know Hartford is a bit of a cop-out, and maybe the Rangers and Racers to an extent. However this league would be connected to the real life NHL and I think if this happened in real life there would be some crossover with  names, logos and jerseys. A few teams, like Victoria and London so far are inspired by NHL teams (Vancouver and LA). I think the NHL in cooperation with the LHL would want to do a lot of cross-promotion and brand recognition. And what ex-Whalers fan in New England wouldn't buy an official hockey jersey with that amazing logo on it?

As for the arena capacity, those are the biggest and/or most suitable arenas in that city. Not every city without an NHL team has an NHL sized arena. I feel like this league would attract similar crowds to the CHL, which the arenas span from 5000 to 20000 (using NHL rinks). The biggest areans would have the upper decks blocked off and hopefully sell out the lower bowl (like in Portland for the Winterhawks). For example Surrey, which is more or less a suburb of Vanoucver but has a sizeable population in it's own right, doesn't have any big arenas (the LEC is in neighbouring city Langley, but very close). Vancouver has 3 arenas that are larger, but I wanted to keep these teams out of NHL cities.

I hope these answer your questions. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. :)

HAM: I like the colours, I like the chest stripe, I love the I Beam Bars logo. You respect the history. But I'm not sure that's a tiger. Looks awfully long and lean, tigers are shorter and thick. And the alternate should have 4 gold, 4 black stripes and white shoulders if you were going for the Ti'Cats nod. 

LON: should be purple and silver to match the university identity. Gold is not the city. 

MIL: I love these. But more gold?

IND: These are cool and cheesy: Perfect minor league. Love it

REG: Red is odd. But coolish. 90's sabres. 

SAS: Again 90's feel to it with black piping.

qtOnrJr.png

22 hours ago, Canuckleball said:

HAM: I like the colours, I like the chest stripe, I love the I Beam Bars logo. You respect the history. But I'm not sure that's a tiger. Looks awfully long and lean, tigers are shorter and thick. And the alternate should have 4 gold, 4 black stripes and white shoulders if you were going for the Ti'Cats nod. 

LON: should be purple and silver to match the university identity. Gold is not the city. 

MIL: I love these. But more gold?

IND: These are cool and cheesy: Perfect minor league. Love it

REG: Red is odd. But coolish. 90's sabres. 

SAS: Again 90's feel to it with black piping.

Lon: Copying any colours from the city was never my intention, it was more inspired by the LA Kings, old and new.

Mil: Are you asking for more gold, are asking where there is gold at all?

Reg: Why is red odd? This is a completely made up team.

Currently working on some changes based on the comments I've recieved. Should be up here shortly.

Went back and updated some uniforms.

London: Took black out completely. Brand new alternate with new simplistic logo. Kept the silver striping, just couldn't make it work without it.

Hamilton: Minor changes. Away colour now black, alternate name now white.

Portland: Made away sleeves blue. Tried the logo without the hat, just looks so bare. Like the "P" got it's head shave, lol.

Indy: Adjusted the main logo, made the Indiana state shape logo a shoulder patch..

I actually liked the main logo for Indy with the state shape behind it. I don't know what it was, but it just worked... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I actually liked the main logo for Indy with the state shape behind it. I don't know what it was, but it just worked... 

I do too, but originally I had way different  designs for the home and away and started working on an alternate. That alternate came out as the current blue one, and realized it was way better that what I had from home/away at the time, so I did a complete re-do. I like the originally logo, but it doesn't work with this design, I think just the skate with the speed lines makes it so dynamic and fast looking. Kept the state outline with RACERS on a diagonal as the shoulder patch.

Just wanted to let everyone know, yes I will be finishing this project. However the last week or so has been crazy, and will continue to be for the next little bit here. Family stuff, taking on some extra stuff at work and house shopping takes up most of my free time right now. I've tried a couple times to finish off the last few teams, but the product is obviously rushed and not good enough quality. I will hold on until life settles down a bit, but this will be finished.

Archived