First Attempt at a Logo

Clintau24

I took a shot at designing a logo for my website, the Auburn Uniform Database. I came here a few years ago looking for a logo, and user bwalker1974 was gracious enough to make me one. Now, I feel like it's time to move on to something a little different. 

I'm the least creative person in the world, but I had this idea in my head for a while. I'm not very skilled with Inkscape, so I created the arched wording over there and imported it over to Photoshop Elements where I do the rest of my work. I know it's not the cleanest look, but I'm just looking for some thoughts on the initial idea.

Thanks!

WIP 2_edited-1.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

You've got a pretty nice start here, Clint. 

What I would do would be to adjust the kerning on the letters for "DATABASE", if you can. You may want to do the same with the A and the U in the acronym.

Other than that, I can't really see any other problems with this. Good work!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Don't design logos in photoshop. That's why you have those pixelated edges. Use a vector program such as illustrator or inkskape. Very simple to use especially with a design as simple as this one. The logo itself looks fine. While a bit bland, it will work for what you need it for.

2 hours ago, JoeDGemma said:

Don't design logos in photoshop. That's why you have those pixelated edges. Use a vector program such as illustrator or inkskape. Very simple to use especially with a design as simple as this one. The logo itself looks fine. While a bit bland, it will work for what you need it for.

I'll stop you there. Don't design sloppy/pixelated logos in photoshop. If you want to use photoshop, you can. Illustrator is expensive and Inkscape may not be your style. You do what you do, no matter if it's in Paint or Illustrator. We'll give you C&C based on your designs, not just offer snarky remarks like ^^.

The logo itself is good, clean up your edges and corners as mentioned above.

The other thing is the words. They feel cramped inside the roundel, so why not take them out of the circle?

tinysig.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

I took some time after studying for an exam to play around with Inkscape a bit more and create the logo completely in the program. I came out with 2 designs - the original design from above, and a slightly different one, with the text inside the blue circle. I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment. I also tried to get "AUBURN UNIFORM DATABASE" arched at the top, with "EST. 2013" along the bottom, but had some issues and got frustrated dealing with it. 

Specifically, what do you guys think of the white outline around the AUD? Notice how it cuts into the orange stripes, especially on the one with the white text. Should the AUD be larger, the outline be larger/smaller? 

I also came out with a design that featured the stripes going outside the circle. I'm really not sure how I feel about it, let me know what you guys think (it's rough, I didn't clean it up. Just proof of concept)

New logo  (1).png

New logo  (2).png

ojNNazQ.jpg

16 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

Specifically, what do you guys think of the white outline around the AUD? Notice how it cuts into the orange stripes, especially on the one with the white text. Should the AUD be larger, the outline be larger/smaller? 

Here's another edition that I think fixes my worries on this

New logo  (3).png

ojNNazQ.jpg

20 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

I'll stop you there. Don't design sloppy/pixelated logos in photoshop. If you want to use photoshop, you can. Illustrator is expensive and Inkscape may not be your style. You do what you do, no matter if it's in Paint or Illustrator. We'll give you C&C based on your designs, not just offer snarky remarks like ^^.

The logo itself is good, clean up your edges and corners as mentioned above.

The other thing is the words. They feel cramped inside the roundel, so why not take them out of the circle?

I really don't think my comment was snarky, it's pretty commonly accepted that logos should be created as vector images so the can be use in multiple formats without becoming distorted and photoshops just isn't the program for that.

I didn't see it as snarky either. No worries here. 

Here's the latest edition with the orange circle. I'm a little torn on whether or not I like it. I'm thinking not, currently. I think it looks a lot cleaner without it. But, let me know what you guys think

New Logo (4).png

ojNNazQ.jpg

I actually like what the addition of more orange is doing for the logo. To me it definitely pops a little more. However, I think there are a few issues that could stand to be addressed if you're really looking to push this logo further.

Circled in yellow are a few areas I feel to be problematic with this logo.

56cd0b15ddf24_ScreenShot2016-02-23at8.43

While I enjoy the addition of more orange, it creates these chunky pieces on either end that feel heavy and unsymmetrical. I think it creates more spacing issues than its worth. Perhaps move that stroke to the outside of the circle? Maybe that isn't the solution, but just a thought that may be worth exploring.

The white spaces above and below the stripes seem so large to me that I can't ignore them. It feels like you have this nice large canvas to work with inside this circle, and inside are these blocky, horizontal, static elements like stripes and block letters. Personally, I don't know how necessary it is to spell out AUD right in the middle when the title of the website is alright stated all around the outside. It feels redundant, and if I didn't know what it was I would simply read it as "AWD" instead of A.U.D. Perhaps it could be an icon, a jersey, anything really. I don't feel it takes advantage of the space provided.

If we take a look at generally accepted "successful" roundel logos, they all use the circle as a framing device for a fairly simple but appropriately fitting icon or logo.

Spoiler

56cd0cfb7edb7_ScreenShot2016-02-23at8.52

Spoiler

56cd0cfd1d580_ScreenShot2016-02-23at8.52

Spoiler

56cd0cfdaf556_ScreenShot2016-02-23at8.52

I think what you have now is a great start, but i think you have some work to do to make it great. Some of your elements while stand on there own nicely, when combined feel like their competing for attention, and the shape language is just inconsistent. Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I appreciate all the comments Joe.

I'm pretty fond of AUD, as I end up using that on twitter a lot more than spelling it all out. And with using AUD, I think it's necessary to spell it out in the circle. I'm also fond of using the stripes, as it's Auburn's most recognizable uniform trait across the board. Since I cover all Auburn sports (specifically football, baseball, basketball, and softball), I feel a jersey wouldn't work well. Plus I get a bit of a Uni-Watch t-shirt club feel from the thought. 

I went with the orange circle on the outside. I like it a lot better than on the inside. Gives it the needed pop with the orange without messing with the stripes. I increased the size of the stripes in order to take up a bit more of the white space. I think it looks good, but could use some more weight on the inside of the circle, but I don't want to risk messing with the stripes like an earlier edition. As of now, I'm debating on using this one, or the one without any orange outlines that's above.

Again, thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it. I know it's a simple design, but I'm really happy with it overall.

New Logo (5).png

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived