City Flags Redesign

pianoknight

So I tried to redesign the atrocious Pocatello flag, just because I couldn't bear not trying to improve that wreck.

Old:

8fyZLep.png

New:

2ICRxGo.png

I did a few things here:

-First I ditched the text if it wasn't obvious.

-I looked into the history of Pocatello and the one thing that stood out was that the city played a major part in a gold rush. Hence the pickaxes.

-I kept the red stripes, although I only kept four.

-I kept the mountain idea, although the design changed. I originally wanted to just clean up the old mountains, but the look didn't fit.

I also made a small flag for my home Waverly, NY. It doesn't actually have a flag, but I thought it would be okay to show my concept.QQVvDrj.png

-I chose a train as the main symbol because Waverly was once part of a large railway system back in the day. I think it was the Leighigh Valley railroad, but don't quote me on that :P

- The three stripes represent three towns known collectively as the Valley. The three are Waverly, Athens, and Sayre (Sometimes South Waverly is counted separate, but not usually.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

Love the three concepts above. The second train flag is gorgeous, although I think it could use another colour. Pocatello looks very Denver Nuggets to me, but its a big improvement while still keeping some elements of the old flag. I think the first train concept would have benefited from a different shaped train. 

Here's Ottawa, our nation's capital. 

flagottawa.jpg.bb960848d66a791ee6a33f20d

And my redesign featuring parliament, the colours of all Ottawa sports teams, and the Senators alternate jersey. 

ottawa.jpg.6d054766c9e0612d1a0402c42cc21

Again, another city that probably didn't need an upgrade, but hey. I was thinking of getting rid of the O and skinnying the tower, but liked it as is

Next is Kitchener, Ontario

ca-on-kt.gif.11251958ec6a34f92b85f7a3e6d

I like the seal, but not on the flag. I kept the Acorn and colours, and styled it like the German flag out of respect for the large German heritage. (Kitchener was officially called New Berlin until the first world war)

kitchener.jpg.8e6be2c3aa603bd1111faddaed

Finally, Canada's auto capital Windsor, Ontario. 

Flag-Ca-On-Windsor.svg.thumb.png.7a061ca

I thought about making the gear into a W, but it was beyond my art skills. I made the gear rose-red, to try and preserve both elements

windsor.jpg.19298b56a5ad73d8e52f28458518

qtOnrJr.png

• 2 months later...

After watching the TED talk w/ Roman Mars and seeing the Columbus Crew Road kits for the 2016 MLS Season, Ive decided to do a flag myself.

Original Flag

columbus-ohio.jpg

My Redesigned Flag

Cbus-flag1.png

Changes Made:

-Got rid of the seal. The seal I thought was the main problem. The seal itself is too redundant.

-Added black and green to reflect the german heritage and the fact that Columbus was named after an Italian from Genoa. the flag is the same ratio and proportions as the german flag as well.

-Changed the bird to a cardinal rather than have the eagle. It's very loosely in the same shape as St. George's cross, the same cross used in the flag of Genoa

-Added Compasses that resemble stars. 

More details are on https://www.behance.net/gallery/36249087/Columbus-Flag-Seal

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE this concept.

A few years back I had a big thing for designing flags (I made my wife and I one for our first anniversary, and one for her grandparents on their 50th).

I got started because I remember driving through a town called Kingman, Arizona.

I thought of something simple (and I only did this on powerpoint, so it will be very basic) that would symbolize Arizona and "King"

The concept I was going for here was a setting sun in the desert and a kings crown, as well as the sun rays on the Arizona Flag.

This image is a one that I just pieced together, the original is on my home computer, but it is not very different.

ppt91A3.pptm [Autosaved].jpg

5f6789e7-80cd-4d9b-af90-b70a526ce9c2.jpg

Archived