Not-yet-retired numbers that should/will be

tigerslionspistonshabs

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank Tripuka"s # 18 was brought out of retirement for Manning to wear with the Denver Broncos. just before Frank passed away, he told Manning he would be honored if he wore it as Manning was preparred to go with another number. i imagine the team will eventually honor bith players with the number

of course the Colts will likely do the same.

Pats will retire 12 at some point

i could see the Raiders retiring 24 for Woodson

Vikings maybe retire 28 after AP is done

the Bears should retire 6 just so Cutler is completely forgotten. bad juju on that number now

Saints could retire 9

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'd say Lundqvist will probably have his number retired by the Rangers. Even if he never winds up winning a Stanley Cup. He's done enough with the Rangers that I think he'll get that honor.

I'm generally in favor of teams having fewer retired numbers. As a Yankee fan, I can't really agree with having any non-HOFers receiving that honor, with the exception of Munson (and maybe Mattingly). For a team so steeped in history and with so many Hall of Famers, I don't think they should've given out that honor so often. But what's done is done.

Caps really, really need to retire Bondra's #12 and Kolzig's #37. Peter Bondra was easily the best offensive player in Caps history until Ovi came along, and Kolzig's was one of the better goalies in the NHL for a long time. 

spacer.png

The Mariners will likely kind of skirt their normal policy and retire #51 in honor of both Ichiro and Randy Johnson, despite the fact the latter didn't go into the Hall of Fame as a Mariner (normal team policy stipulates that for anyone on the M's to have his number retired, he must have gone into to the Hall as a Mariner; hence why I said 'kind of', I was referring to Randy Johnson's case).

Edgar Martinez's #11 will also be honored as well in the near future.

UBwef0L.png

10 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

In the 4 major sports. Can be retired, active, whatever. Just has to have already achieved retired jersey status (eg. Connor McDavid could one day have his number retired by the Oilers, but as of now, no). And take into account respective teams' standards. (eg. Chauncey Billups wouldn't have his # retired by the Lakers, Celtics or Bulls) 

I'm just going to do NBA and NHL...you guys can feel free to do whatever 

NHL

Boston- Chara, Bergeron

Buffalo- none

Montreal- Price, Koivu, Shutt

Florida- This is borderline, but Vanbiesbrouck

Tampa Bay- Martin St. Louis, Lecavalier. 

Toronto- none

Ottawa- Alfredsson

Detroit- Zetterberg, Datsyuk, maybe one day Fedorov

New York Rangers- none

New York Islanders- Tavares

New Jersey Devils- Elias

Washington- Ovechkin, Bondra

Philadelphia- none

Pittsburgh- Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Jagr

Carolina- Eric Staal, Ward

Columbus- Nash

Chicago- Toews, Kane, maybe Chelios?

Minnesota- Koivu

St. Louis- Pronger, 

Dallas- none

Colorado- Hejduk, Tanguay

Nashville- Legwand, Weber, Rinne

Winnipeg- this one's weird. Kovalchuk is obviously retire-worthy, but he never played a day in Winnipeg. Selanne is probably the Jets' most famous player, but he played for the Coyotes franchise. Who knows...

Anaheim- Selanne, Kariya, Getzlaf, Perry

L.A.- Kopitar, Quick, Nicholls?

San Jose- Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski

Vancouver- Sedin bros.

Arizona- Shane Doan

Calgary- Iginla, Kiprusoff, Fleury, 

Edmonton- Ryan Smyth 

NBA

Boston- Pierce

Brooklyn- none

New York- none

Philadelphia- Moses Malone

Toronto- Carter

Detroit- Hamilton, Prince (It's been all but confirmed, but I don't agree with it)

Chicago- none

Indiana- none

Cleveland- Lebron

Milwaukee- none

Charlotte- I'm not sure what's going on with that mess- I know they retained the original Hornets records, but the only guy even worth considering is Larry Johnson

Atlanta- none

Miami- Lebron, Wade, Shaq, NBA referees

Orlando- Hardaway, Shaq, McGrady, Anderson, Howard

Washington- Wall

LA Lakers- Kobe

LA Clippers- Chris Paul

Phoenix- Marion

Golden State- Curry 

Memphis- Tough- alot of borderline guys- Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Conley, Randolph? 

New Orleans- I'm sure Anthony Davis will be when it's all said and done, but not yet

Houston- I've heard that Yao Ming will be retired, although not really deserved

Dallas- Nowitzki

San Antonio- Duncan, Ginobili, Parker

OKC- Durant, Westbrook

Utah- none

Portland- Rasheed Wallace, Aldridge

Minnesota- Garnett

Denver- Carmelo

Selanne is already retired.  Happened last season.

Why Shaq's isn't retired in Orlando is beyond me.

42 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Caps really, really need to retire Bondra's #12 and Kolzig's #37. Peter Bondra was easily the best offensive player in Caps history until Ovi came along, and Kolzig's was one of the better goalies in the NHL for a long time. 

Surprisingly that's not a call that Leonsis makes.  It's all up to Dick Patrick and he's gotten earfuls on that. Maybe they do it for the 20th anniversary of the Cup run?

New England Patriots - Troy Brown #80, Ty Law #24, Drew Bledsoe #11, Tom Brady #12

Toronto Blue Jays level of excellence - Jose Bautista, Roy Halladay

(I'm surprisingly on the fence whether they should retire Halladay's #32 if he goes to the HOF; he capped that career with the Phillies & never won anything here unlike Alomar)

Toronto Raptors - Vince Carter #15

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

11 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

WVU: Pat White(5) Tavon Austin(1)

These two should have their numbers retired but sadly I don't know if that will happen.  Or if it does, it'll be in like 2060.  For some reason it seems as if WVU doesn't like honoring players unless they're like 70 years old (and white).

In the entire history of WVU football/basketball only these players have had their numbers retired

Football:

#21 - Ira Errett Rodgers (Class of 1919) 

#75 - Sam Huff (Class of 1969)

Basketball:

#33 - Hot Rod Hundley (Class of 1957)

#44 - Jerry West (Class of 1960)

I understand that retiring a number for every exceptional player would leave no numbers, but really, Major Harris doesn't deserve it?  Pat White?  Kevin Pittsnoggle, Mike Gansey, DaSean Butler in basketball? If you aren't going to retire their number they should at least be honored in some way, with a banner.  Pat White won you 4 freakin bowl games, when you couldn't win squat for at least a decade before him - realistically he deserves a statue.  But I'm sure he'd settle for a banner or his name on a wall -- something.  

90758391980.gif

I think that Parise, Suter, and Koivu all have a shot at a retired number for the Wild in the future. (So we'll have one, and not just an imaginary one) And depending how everything plays out, Maybe Dumba or Coyle... But that's a LONG ways off. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

11 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

Steelers: Roethlisberger(7), Polamalu(43)

Penguins: Crosby(87) Malkin(71)

Pirates: McCutchen(22)

WVU: Pat White(5) Tavon Austin(1)

I can't see the Steelers officially retiring 7 and 43, they'll get pulled out of circulation and maybe used in the pre-season. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they officially retired Terry Bradshaw's #12 in the next few years.  

10 hours ago, PackerFan98 said:

I think a case for Kieth's #2 for the Blackhawks can be made. Norris and Conn Smythe. I can see that.

Giannis could get #34 retired by the Bucks.

Could. But if he was traded today, or his career ended (knock on wood), no he wouldn't. If he stays for 10 years with them and leads them to multiple playoff berths, etc. then yes. 

45 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I think that Parise, Suter, and Koivu all have a shot at a retired number for the Wild in the future. (So we'll have one, and not just an imaginary one) And depending how everything plays out, Maybe Dumba or Coyle... But that's a LONG ways off. 

I think Koivu is the only one locked in at this point. Dude's been there 10 years and is the franchise scoring leader. Parise and Suter have only been there since breakfast. Yes, I think they'll both play the majority of the remainder of their careers there, but at this point no. 

sig.png

Archived