Not-yet-retired numbers that should/will be

tigerslionspistonshabs

12 hours ago, kroywen said:

I'd say Lundqvist will probably have his number retired by the Rangers. Even if he never winds up winning a Stanley Cup. He's done enough with the Rangers that I think he'll get that honor.

I'm generally in favor of teams having fewer retired numbers. As a Yankee fan, I can't really agree with having any non-HOFers receiving that honor, with the exception of Munson (and maybe Mattingly). For a team so steeped in history and with so many Hall of Famers, I don't think they should've given out that honor so often. But what's done is done.

True- I totally forgot about King Henrik. No question. 

sig.png

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Cujo said:

If Steve Smith wasn't so damn bitter about being released...

His number will be retired. He's the best player who's ever played for the Panthers not named Newton. It will take some time for the franchise and fans to get the sour taste out of their mouths, but within 10 years no question.

sig.png

Anaheim - Kariya #9, Perry #10, Getzlaf #15, Giguere #35

Arizona - Doan #19, Ekman-Larsson #23 (in due time), Jovanovski #55 (maybe)

Boston - Chara #33, Bergeron #37, Rask #40 (maybe)

Buffalo - Housley #6, Andreychuk #25, Miller #30 (maybe)

Calgary - Giordano #5 (maybe), Iginla #12, Fleury #14, Kiprusoff #34

Carolina - Dineen #11, Staal #12, Ward #30

Chicago - Keith #2, Chelios #7, Toews #19, Wilson #24, Larmer #28, Kane #88

Colorado - Hejduk #23, Stastny #26 (maybe), Tanguay #40

Columbus - Nash #61

Dallas - Morrow #10, Benn #4, Ciccarelli #20, Lehtinen #26, Turco #35, Zubov #56, Seguin #91 (in due time)

Detroit - Datsyuk #13, Zetterberg #40, Fedorov #91

Edmonton - Lowe #4, Smyth #94

Florida - Luongo #1, Weiss #9, Jokinen #12, Mellanby #27

Los Angeles - Blake #4, Doughty #8, Nicholls #9, Kopitar #11, Quick #32

Minnesota - Koivu #9, Gaborik #10

Montreal - Koivu #11, Carbonneau #21, Shutt #22, Lemaire #25, Price #31

Nashville - Weber #6, Legwand #17, Timonen #44 (maybe)

New Jersey - Muller #9 (maybe), MacLean #15, Holik #16 (maybe), Elias #26

NY Islanders - Tavares #91

NY Rangers - Ratelle #19, Lundqvist #30

Ottawa - Phillips #4, Alfredsson #11, Spezza #19

Philadelphia - Propp #26, Hextall #27, Giroux #28, Lindros #88

Pittsburgh - Francis #10, Kehoe #17, Pronovost #19, Stevens #25, Fleury #29, Malkin #71, Crosby #87

San Jose - Pavelski #8, Nolan #11, Marleau #12, Thornton #19, Nabokov #20

St. Louis - Demitra #38 (maybe), Pronger #44

Tampa Bay - Lecavalier #4, Richards #19, St. Louis #26, Hedman #77 (maybe), Stamkos #91

Toronto - Ellis #6, Pulford #20

Vancouver - Luongo #1, Tanti #9, D. Sedin #22, Gradin #23, H. Sedin #33, Bertuzzi #44

Washington - Johansson #6, Ovechkin #8, Gartner #11, Bondra #12, Ridley #17, Pivonka #20 (maybe), Kolzig #37

Winnipeg - Kozlov #13, Kovalchuk #17

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Am I crazy to think the Lakers are going to retire both 24 & 8 for Kobe? He's played a decade in each and won multiple rings in both. I'm sure the team or Kobe could just choose one, but I think they'll hang up both of them. 

Also, while I believe the franchise only retires numbers of HOF players that spent a significant portion of their careers with the team, I can't help but think about the feasibility of the Wizards retiring Phil Chenier's 45. He was a solid All-Star player and has been a good color commentator for years, plus the fans seem to favor his enshrinement. Besides, they could use another banner up there. 

1 hour ago, TRoyConcepts said:

(Insert other retirements here)

Minnesota - Koivu #9, Gaborik #10

(Insert other retirements here)

No... While he was popular when he was here, as soon as he wanted to leave, people started to hate him. Kinda the same way Vancouver fans hate Ryan Kesler... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

These two should have their numbers retired but sadly I don't know if that will happen.  Or if it does, it'll be in like 2060.  For some reason it seems as if WVU doesn't like honoring players unless they're like 70 years old (and white).

In the entire history of WVU football/basketball only these players have had their numbers retired

Football:

#21 - Ira Errett Rodgers (Class of 1919) 

#75 - Sam Huff (Class of 1969)

Basketball:

#33 - Hot Rod Hundley (Class of 1957)

#44 - Jerry West (Class of 1960)

I understand that retiring a number for every exceptional player would leave no numbers, but really, Major Harris doesn't deserve it?  Pat White?  Kevin Pittsnoggle, Mike Gansey, DaSean Butler in basketball? If you aren't going to retire their number they should at least be honored in some way, with a banner.  Pat White won you 4 freakin bowl games, when you couldn't win squat for at least a decade before him - realistically he deserves a statue.  But I'm sure he'd settle for a banner or his name on a wall -- something.  

I agree. Definitely Pat White, Desean Butler, and Major Harris.

IxkieML.png

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

No... While he was popular when he was here, as soon as he wanted to leave, people started to hate him. Kinda the same way Vancouver fans hate Ryan Kesler... 

I don't think that's fair. He was basically the face of the franchise while he was there. Two-time all-star as a member of the Wild as well as being the 2nd-highest scorer in Wild history. I don't think it's fair to just dismiss him because some people started to not like him. Kesler is a completely different situation. He had nowhere near the same impact on the Canucks as Gaborik had on the Wild. 

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

5 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I don't think that's fair. He was basically the face of the franchise while he was there. Two-time all-star as a member of the Wild as well as being the 2nd-highest scorer in Wild history. I don't think it's fair to just dismiss him because some people started to not like him. Kesler is a completely different situation. He had nowhere near the same impact on the Canucks as Gaborik had on the Wild. 

True, but he wanted out of here. It's hard to give respect to a player that didn't respect your orgainization...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

True, but he wanted out of here. It's hard to give respect to a player that didn't respect your orgainization...

No, it isn't.  You just look at what the player did on the field / ice / court.  Jason Kidd behaved in a sketchy way when he decided that he wanted to leave the Nets.  But the team eventually retired his number, because he was the team's second greatest player ever.  (Of course, this was when they brought him in to coach, at which point he again behaved in a sketchy way. Oh, well.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yadier Molina will have his #4 retired by the Cardinals once he goes into the HOF

I also think Albert Pujols will also have his #5 retired in STL. They haven't given it out since he left, and my guess is after he retires and goes into the HOF he'll make this big emotional comeback to St. Louis to say thanks.

There has been a movement by Cards fans to retire #51 for Willie McGee. While it hasn't been given out since the early 2000s the fact that it hasn't been retired yet, and the Cards stance on retiring numbers for HOFers, makes me doubt it ever formally will be. 

Number retirements are way overdone.  For instance, the Tail Blazers have retired the numbers of Dave Twardzik, Lionel Hollins, Larry Steele, Bob Gross and Lloyd Neal.  None of them would qualify as all-time greats.

I can understand Maurice Lucas, Clyde Drexler, Bill Walton and Geoff Petrie, but there needs to be a higher standard than "role player on a championship team".

I remember there was chatter years ago about the NHL retiring Gretzki's 99, much like MLB did for Robinson. Not sure there was any real thought behind it, but I wonder how people actually feel about it. His impact on the sport was obviously night and day from what Jackie meant to his sport, but I knew a lot of friends and family who thought it was something that should be done (along with others who thought it was utter crap). 

As someone who grew up in the Bay Area in the late 80s and early 90s, Gretzki was a big deal. Before my beloved Sharks existed, Gretzki was what we associated hockey with. I'm not sure what his impact and image is elsewhere, but he was a big deal back then. We knew almost nothing about the sport, but a lot about him. 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, logo-maker said:

Fun fact: when Hejduk's number is retired the Av's will have a complete starting line-up in the rafters (a centermen (Sakic), 2 wings (Forsberg & Hejduk), 2 defensemen (Bourque & Foote), and a goaltender (Roy).

Legendary player. Legendary run to the Cup. But I still find it insane how Bourque got his jersey retired having only played 1¼ seasons in Colorado.

6uXNWAo.png

Nuggets - Carmelo #15

That's debatable. Most of Carmelo's time in Denver consisted of flaming out in the first round and starting/denying his own trade rumors. The Nuggets only improved when Chauncey Billups assumed leadership and didn't miss a beat after shipping Carmelo to NY for a collection of scrubs. Nice stats but sucked at winning. As a fan, I could care less if he goes to the rafters at Pepsi.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived