Not-yet-retired numbers that should/will be

tigerslionspistonshabs

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, SJAnfield said:

I remember there was chatter years ago about the NHL retiring Gretzki's 99, much like MLB did for Robinson. Not sure there was any real thought behind it, but I wonder how people actually feel about it. His impact on the sport was obviously night and day from what Jackie meant to his sport, but I knew a lot of friends and family who thought it was something that should be done (along with others who thought it was utter crap). 

As someone who grew up in the Bay Area in the late 80s and early 90s, Gretzki was a big deal. Before my beloved Sharks existed, Gretzki was what we associated hockey with. I'm not sure what his impact and image is elsewhere, but he was a big deal back then. We knew almost nothing about the sport, but a lot about him. 

Gretzky's number is retired across the league. I'm not sure who this Gretzki character is.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Chicago Blackhawks - Toews, Kane, Crawford, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, Hjalmarsson, Hossa, Chelios, Larmer, Roenick, Amonte.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 hours ago, Cujo said:

Legendary player. Legendary run to the Cup. But I still find it insane how Bourque got his jersey retired having only played 1¼ seasons in Colorado.

I think his number was retired by the team as a show of respect for his career as an NHL player more than anything.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

17 hours ago, Cujo said:

Legendary player. Legendary run to the Cup. But I still find it insane how Bourque got his jersey retired having only played 1¼ seasons in Colorado.

Similar to the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays retiring Wade Boggs's number 12 that he wore with them, even though he played only two seasons there.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Similar to the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays retiring Wade Boggs's number 12 that he wore with them, even though he played only two seasons there.

The number doesn't get retired if Tampa isn't Boggs' hometown -- Unlike Bourque, who had no connection to Denver prior to arriving in 1999.

6uXNWAo.png

On 2/26/2016 at 11:49 PM, Cujo said:

Wait... Yadier Molina is a surefire Hall of Famer? That's a good one!

The top defensive catcher of his generation who individually impacted how teams approached base stealing versus his team that has been very successful during his tenure. So far 7 all-star selections, 8 gold gloves, 4 platinum gloves, 6 fielding bible awards, 2 world championships, caught 1 Cy Young winner. The list could go on, but I think I've already made my point. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:26 PM, SJAnfield said:
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:26 PM, SJAnfield said:

I remember there was chatter years ago about the NHL retiring Gretzki's 99, much like MLB did for Robinson. Not sure there was any real thought behind it, but I wonder how people actually feel about it. His impact on the sport was obviously night and day from what Jackie meant to his sport, but I knew a lot of friends and family who thought it was something that should be done (along with others who thought it was utter crap). 

As someone who grew up in the Bay Area in the late 80s and early 90s, Gretzki was a big deal. Before my beloved Sharks existed, Gretzki was what we associated hockey with. I'm not sure what his impact and image is elsewhere, but he was a big deal back then. We knew almost nothing about the sport, but a lot about him. 

I remember there was chatter years ago about the NHL retiring Gretzki's 99, much like MLB did for Robinson. Not sure there was any real thought behind it, but I wonder how people actually feel about it.

I have all the respect in the world for #99 but I guarantee you if the league tried to do that the Bruins wouldn't go along. Everyone here knows Bobby Orr is the greatest of all time so until the league retires #4 you can forget about #99.

On February 26, 2016 at 11:26 PM, SJAnfield said:

I thought they already retired 99 league-wide, although I could be wrong. 

spacer.png

40 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Just commenting on hockey and the original post but 91 should be retired in Detroit.

Dallas - Hatcher

Chicago - Keith and possible Seabrook

Vancouver - McLean

You could definitely make the case for Hatcher in Dallas, but Seabrook? I wouldn't call him a Hawks legend by a long shot. Keith is debatable as well.

McLean wouldn't get his number retired ever. His run with the Canucks isn't too pretty.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

I thought they already retired 99 league-wide, although I could be wrong. 

Yes... I think it was retired in '01, '02... And pretty much Only Gretzky, Lemieux, and maybe Jagr, with how many records he's been breaking lately, deserve to have they're number retired. Now don't get me wrong, Bobby Orr was great! But if Bobby Orr's number is retired, then so should other players have theirs retired, like Brett Hull, Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, and so on and so on and so on. The list will pretty much never end, until only numbers in the 70s-80s are available for players... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On February 27, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Griffinmarlins said:

The Hawks are going to retire Al Horford's #15. No doubt in my mind. No matter what happens this offseason, he is a Hawks legend. 

The same Al Horford that only made one conference finals (and was swept and wasn't even the best player on the team), won more than 50 games twice in nine years, and averages 14/9 for his career? 

Archived