Not-yet-retired numbers that should/will be

tigerslionspistonshabs

3 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Seriously?

Yes. Vc was arguably better for us than any team he was on and he's considered one of the goat of dunking. The team was just not deep enough to do anything significant but he was amazing. He is a legend. Bropez, if he plays out his whole career with us and remains healthy he will end up breaking almost every franchise record. The stuff that that guy has gone through and he still wants to be a Net... I can see him being here for the long haul and having success down the line if Marks can get us there. Already one of the best bigs in Nets history.

GO NETS.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mets missed their opportunity to retire Gary Carter's number on numerous occasions. They are celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the 1986 team this year, I think there's some other players form that era who are overdue for this treatment.

XM4KeeA.png

4 hours ago, joshey said:

Yes. Vc was arguably better for us than any team he was on and he's considered one of the goat of dunking. The team was just not deep enough to do anything significant but he was amazing. He is a legend. Bropez, if he plays out his whole career with us and remains healthy he will end up breaking almost every franchise record. The stuff that that guy has gone through and he still wants to be a Net... I can see him being here for the long haul and having success down the line if Marks can get us there. Already one of the best bigs in Nets history.

I stand corrected. I actually had no idea that Carter was the 2nd all time scorer for the Nets (dude only played 5 years!); and that Lopez is 4th and rising. 

sig.png

For the Clippers, I think Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are obvious locks for number retirement.  Besides those two, then you get into "maybe" category with DeAndre Jordan (who just became the all-time franchise rebound leader this season, and is just less than 100 blocks away from becoming the all-time team leader in that category) and Elton Brand.  Brand's case is really iffy...statistically, he should be a lock (career numbers as a Clipper: 20.6 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 2.3 BPG, 2.7 APG over seven seasons; currently second all-time in team history in total points, rebounds, and blocks), but they only made the playoffs once with him (thanks Sam Cassell), and he wasn't always the most reliable guy in the clutch (Corey Maggette and Lamar Odom [first stint] usually took over the close games, and more often than not, to disastrous results). 

I know some people still haven't gotten over the way in which he left (I have since the Clips got Griffin), but it's been enough time that has passed, plus there's a new regime in place now.  For all of the flack that Steve Ballmer has gotten for the new uniforms/logos (and now, the new mascot), and Doc Rivers for his questionable front office moves, they've both made it a point to reach out to and bring back former Clipper players back into the organization.  I think that's more of a reason why Brand will eventually get his #42 retired (it's been out of circulation since he left), and why I think also they'll retire (or at least honor) Bob McAdoo's #11 and Randy Smith's #9--Smith perhaps moreso because he was the link between the team's Buffalo history and its California era.

However, all said...I'm still of the belief that Ralph Lawler, the longtime play-by-play announcer, should be honored before anyone has his jersey number retired.

34 minutes ago, MadmanLA said:

For the Clippers, I think Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are obvious locks for number retirement.  Besides those two, then you get into "maybe" category with DeAndre Jordan (who just became the all-time franchise rebound leader this season, and is just less than 100 blocks away from becoming the all-time team leader in that category) and Elton Brand.  Brand's case is really iffy...statistically, he should be a lock (career numbers as a Clipper: 20.6 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 2.3 BPG, 2.7 APG over seven seasons; currently second all-time in team history in total points, rebounds, and blocks), but they only made the playoffs once with him (thanks Sam Cassell), and he wasn't always the most reliable guy in the clutch (Corey Maggette and Lamar Odom [first stint] usually took over the close games, and more often than not, to disastrous results). 

I know some people still haven't gotten over the way in which he left (I have since the Clips got Griffin), but it's been enough time that has passed, plus there's a new regime in place now.  For all of the flack that Steve Ballmer has gotten for the new uniforms/logos (and now, the new mascot), and Doc Rivers for his questionable front office moves, they've both made it a point to reach out to and bring back former Clipper players back into the organization.  I think that's more of a reason why Brand will eventually get his #42 retired (it's been out of circulation since he left), and why I think also they'll retire (or at least honor) Bob McAdoo's #11 and Randy Smith's #9--Smith perhaps moreso because he was the link between the team's Buffalo history and its California era.

However, all said...I'm still of the belief that Ralph Lawler, the longtime play-by-play announcer, should be honored before anyone has his jersey number retired.

Chris Paul, no question. He's accomplished enough as a standalone player that even if the Clippers were last place every year, he'd still be retired. He's a top 10 all time point guard. (But not 6th, ESPN).

Blake Griffin will IF he remains with the Clippers for the majority of his career or at least another 5 years. While his stats are impressive, he's only played 6 years while the team has really accomplished nothing. 

Elton Brand would be a lock if the Clippers were more successful during his tenure. It's tough to say. 

DeAndre Jordan, no. 

sig.png

The Raiders don't retire numbers.  If they did, 3, 12, 21, 24 (twice; same position no less), 25, 32, 63, 78, and 81 would not be in use ever again.

I still feel the Lakers should retire 2 and 21.  8 or 24 WILL be up there...maybe both.

The Dodgers should've retired 6 and 34 years ago, but they're not HoFs...yet.  31 should NOT be retired, unless its current placeholder becomes an HoF legend.

13 should be retired for the Rams...Kenny Washington.  Given its their 50th year in LA and he was a reason they were even allowed to play at the Coliseum, it's only fitting.

The Kings already retired 4.  8, 11, 23, and 32 might be next, especially if they win more cups.

27 is a given for the Angels.  Why 15 and 31 aren't up there yet is beyond me.  Unlike the majority of the players who DO have their numbers retired, those two played significant years with the team.  Especially Kingfish.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I think #16 (for Garret Anderson) with the Angels should be retired too, and if Jim Edmonds would have played long enough in Anaheim, you could have made a case for his #25 being retired too (and too bad Troy Glaus flamed out, otherwise he would owned that number too).

But yeah, Tim Salmon's #15 should have been retired some time ago.  Vlad's #27 too.

On 2/28/2016 at 8:19 PM, charger77 said:

Seabrook was a maybe.

Keith - 2 Norris, 3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, Game 7 OT goal, Cup Clinching goal and he is only half way into his career.

I would think Keith is a shoo-in for number retirement along with Kane and Toews. If Seabrook gets his number retired, I'd imagine it would be in conjunction with the Hawks honoring Chelios at the same time.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

I would think Keith is a shoo-in for number retirement along with Kane and Toews. If Seabrook gets his number retired, I'd imagine it would be in conjunction with the Hawks honoring Chelios at the same time.

I also think that Kane is a big MAYBE for a number retirement. No doubt he's been the face of the franchise, along with Toews, and had a major impact, but his off ice handlings might have a big play into if he gets his own banner in the rafters. Especially if something else happens with him. 

I also keep thinking more and more that no other player will be wearing #9 for the Wild in the future. Koivu is less than 70 goals to tie Gaborik as the all time goal leader, he's already points leader, power play points leader, assists leader, and games played leader... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived