The AFC South

Wishful Thinking in Identity Changes - NBA Edition

19 hours ago, jp1409 said:

The Thunder are generic while the Clippers are absolutely horrible... They'd be my number one for sure.

Why not both? :P

Clippers. Everything Clippers.

I want the Spurs to go back to the round collar and add back the waistband trim on their shorts. Also, I would love to see them bring back their 70's ABA grey & black uniforms as full time alternates to replace the ones with the huge Spur logo on the front.

And that damn Clippers mascot too. F*** this.

image.jpg

What I think of that monstrosity might get me banned from here.  As a Clipper fan that has experienced embarrassing moments over the years, this might be example 1b.

I don't think I have ever been so torn on anything as much as Ballmer's branding decisions. I love that he is passionate about this team (and likes black people), but I hate that he is driving this team brand into the ground.

1 hour ago, Lee Noire said:

I don't think I have ever been so torn on anything as much as Ballmer's branding decisions. I love that he is passionate about this team (and likes black people), but I hate that he is driving this team brand into the ground.

Kinda like Mark Cuban and the Mavericks. Of course, I don't absolutely hate the Mavs' look, but to what extent are you willing to throw a good identity to be good?1 I know I'd gladly have the Jazz in the gaudy 1990s 2 or bland late-2000s 3 looks if it meant well-meaning and passionate owner/ownership, and hence a consistently relevant/competitive team. 4

1. Not saying that the two aren't linked in any way, but it seems more often than not owners that care about their team's performance don't have the best of aesthetic tastes. Of course, bad taste doesn't always mean a good team at the very least (Browns, Padres).

2. Which, in retrospect, weren't nearly as bad as they were dated and in need of refinement.

3. Which, in retrospect, are still as plain and bland as when they came out.

4. Not saying that the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies (the conglomerate that runs the team, as Miller's family have taken a step back from managing the team on a day-to-day basis) don't mean well by any means, but if anyone had the passion Larry had, they'd be busting a few doors down at NBA Officiating headquarters over how the Jazz have been the most disadvantaged team in the league in close late-game situations (though that's another story for the NBA thread).

I'll always trade jerseys and logos for a ring. Hell I'd do it to see them get out of the second round. I just wish Ballmer could be passionate and refer to others when it comes to aesthetic decisions as well. This is the wishful thinking thread right? ^_^

Nets need to switch full time to the pride jerseys and make a black one to complete the set and ditch those stupid sleeves finally. We would have a top 3 look on the NBA.

I may say something blasphemous but I think the Bulls could use a refresh. New jerseys, updated bull. This set is nice but has gone stale over the years imo. 

Lakers too could use a refresh of updated jerseys and a tweaked logo maybe. Retire the Kobe and Shaq era. 

8 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

... to what extent are you willing to throw a good identity to be good?

When it comes to the Nets, I admit that I am more interested in their looking good than in their winning.

Of course, the two are intertwined, as the perception of a given look tends to become conflated with the team's performance; so winning usually helps a look stay around longer. That certainly was true of the Nets' previous look, as the success with Kidd, Martin, Jefferson, and later Carter led to that uni being the longest-lasting one in team history.

Still, if am honest, I must say that seeing the Nets appear in nice uniforms (such as the previous set, or a set modelled on the classic unis worn by Dr. J, Albert King, and Darryl Dawkins) would emotionally please me more than seeing them win in the current uniforms.  I realise that this makes me a bad fan of the team. 

On 2/27/2016 at 9:10 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

I came on here to say just this. The logo they have now is pretty solidly known for the Garnett era...with Towns and Wiggins coming along, now is the perfect chance to rebrand around that beautiful alt that most fans like more than the primary anyway.

Agreed, and here's a shameless plug: Timberwolves Rebrand

I think at some point today I'm gonna do a team-by-team of this. Some are pretty close to perfect; others need a lot of work. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or the skill to do a graphic-design mockup of each one, but I think some of the ideas are pretty interesting even without a visual.

Matt's* NBA wishful thinking, Atlantic Divison:

Boston Celtics---Kill black-numbered alternate. Wear gold-numbered alternate only for St. Patrick's Day or very select special events, such as honoring a championship team or retiring a number. Home whites and road greens should be worn a minimum of 78 combined occasions in an 82-game regular season.

Brooklyn Nets---Incorporate Dodgers-inspired alternates into team's visual identity. Make team colors black, blue, grey, and white. Incorporate them in such a way as to be easily distinguished from the Orlando Magic (even though the shades of blue and grey will be different). Do not change unique letter or number fonts or court design, all of which are very solid.

New York Knicks---TBH, I've never really held strong opinions one way or the other on the Knickerbockers' uniforms. I did like the (blue at home, black on the road) side panels they wore from the mid-'90s up till 2012. Maybe bring back some variation of those for all the uniforms, including the orange alternate. Speaking of the orange alternate, keep it, but don't wear it very often---your identity is white at home and blue on the road.

Philadelphia 76ers---These guys have a top-5 uniform set in the whole Association (which makes their play on the court additionally shameful), so I'm really not sure what they ought to change, if anything. Maybe just add a slight outline to the numbers, and make the red the primary color jersey and the blue the alternate.

Toronto Raptors---Bring back the purple. I've heard other people mention making the team colors purple, red, and gold; I could see that except it might infringe on the Pelicans' blue, red, and gold a bit. Maybe keep black as a trim color. The purple-and-red combination needs to be there in some form, however. One of my strongest beliefs about visual identities is that when you have a unique color combination, you need to own it. At the very least, this team needs to go to a less-staid jersey design. You're vicious dinosaurs; show this in your look.

*Matt is my name

Matt's wishful thinking, Central Division:

Chicago Bulls---Bring back some sort of pinstriped black alternate, even if the pinstripes aren't red (which, really, they shouldn't be, because that was MJ's signature look and also because, as others have noted, they can sort of blend together and make brown). Actually, cancel that, because white pinstripes would look dumb and I wouldn't want them to try to add another color like grey. Dangit, they have a grey alt now?! Kill the grey alt, kill it with fire, and remove the sleeves from the black alt.

Cleveland Cavaliers---Some people won't like this, but I think the Cavs' current uniform set is too generic. The first LeBron set (2003-2010) was very, um, aughts, but it was also very distinctive. They need to either start putting their logo on their uniforms or adopt a new logo. Just the wordmark isn't enough---it looks like a high school team. They need to have something on their uniforms identifying what "Cavaliers" means. As far as the colors go, I think they're all good except that the red numbers on the navy blue jersey don't provide enough contrast, and they should switch to either yellow or white numbers for that jersey. They do have a good look aesthetically, they just need to do something to make it more their own.

Detroit Pistons---I dunno. To me their best look was always the Thomas/Laimbeer/Dumars look. It had the perfect balance of blue and red and (in my opinion) a great logo. Very symmetrical, which makes sense given the name. Their second-best look from a pure aesthetic standpoint was probably the one that came before those, with the lightning bolts, but it makes no sense for a team called "Pistons." (Now, if only OKC would take some inspiration from that set....) I suppose I'd have them darken their blue, not to navy, but darker than they have it now, and scrap the navy alternate, and keep the grey alternate (which looks appropriately metallic somehow) except with the now-darkened regular blue color instead of the navy, and add that same light grey as a tertiary trim color throughout their set. Also, bring out a red alt to replace the navy one. And kill the dumb "P inside of a D" secondary logo, replacing it with something automotive-themed (perhaps an update of their previous "DP firing pistons" secondary).

Indiana Pacers---The kid in me really, really wants to see them resurrect their 1984-90 "futuristic" look. Not sure if it'd work as well with the darker blue as it did with royal, though. Obviously they can't do a direct retro-switch, so something based off that look, and with a yellow alternate. Their '90s look was good too, but I think that funky '80s one takes the cake.

Milwaukee Bucks---I'm sorry, but it really bothers me that the logo is so much bigger than the number on the front of their black alternates. Not to mention, I think blue alternates would look better. Yes, fans might riot, but black hasn't historically been a team color either. So, scrap the black alternates (while keeping black as a trim color) and replace them with blue alternates that feature a scaled-down deer head on the front or, better yet, a word above the numbers! (Sorry, I'm a stickler for tradition there.) Also, no sense in having cream as a color if you're not gonna use it. So, make the home jersey cream instead of white, and basically swap cream and white as they're used in the set, perhaps adding a bit more blue to the side panel of the cream jersey. MAYBE have a white alternate that would be worn sparingly, although I really don't see the necessity.

While their previous logo was just a Lakers rip-off it is still a million times better than what they got now. A proper re-branding would have been something close to their San Diego days where their logo actually represented the team name.

5452.gif

5 hours ago, insert name said:

While their previous logo was just a Lakers rip-off it is still a million times better than what they got now. A proper re-branding would have been something close to their San Diego days where their logo actually represented the team name.

5452.gif

That's pretty nice. At least you don't have to talk about lines on the horizon to get people to know what it is.

On 3/8/2016 at 8:39 PM, joshey said:

Philly/Sixers > Philla

Agreed. I'm still baffled as to why the white jerseys has PHILA instead of Sixers. Who made that decision?

The Jazz are so close to having nice uniforms, yet something about this current set has always irked me.  I don't like the white siding on the navy blue uniforms... and realistically I'd swap the navy blue for purple.  At the very least, even if they kept the navy blue, I'd like them to go back to the design of the young Malone/Stockton uni's -- no side paneling and a striped wasteband.  Also, I've always thought no outline around the numerals looked pretty amateur on this set.

qbb2f70h2jdpw6pxjbsbzn0qw.gifva9mh3gbstvpppf99dkb9nmfh.gif