Dragons Logo

Vader

Hey everyone,  just wanted to share a logo that I did to get some opinions.  I know that it's a complete rip off of the Atlanta Falcons, but really, that's the point.  I love the Falcons logo, one of my favorites and I've had the same Fantasy Football team for the past 23 years, the Darleston Dragons.  Years ago, my logo was a copy of the old Falcon, then when they updated theirs, I was never brave enough to try something.  I did change my logo a while ago, but didn't really like it.  I really wanted something that looked JUST LIKE the Falcon logo, only a Dragon.  Well, this might be as close as "I" can come.  I'm not a Graphic Designer and I only used good ol' Paint Shop Pro, but I think it's coming along pretty decent.  I've lurked this site for years as I'm a huge Logo junkie,andwould love to hear what everyone thinks of it, good or bad.  :) 

56d0bdef5b9ad_DragonsLogo20164.jpg.01c1a

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, KentuckyX said:

While I certainly don't blame you for the logo rip, it feels incomplete. To me it needs a tail.

I agree a tail is needed.  Try moving the feet to connect with the body.  I think that would help it look more inspired by the Falcons logo rather than the Falcons logo with a few additions.

I like the change on the back side of the winga, but I don't like all the white space between the segments.  It makes it look like a bunch of little wings rather than one big wing.

Thanks for the advice guys! Since I've uploaded this, I actually started to experiment with vectors, first time ever using them, I downloaded Inkscape. It is certainly WAY different than using Paint Shop Pro, :). Anyway, I felt like the logo needed a tail too, so I'm gonna try a redesign. I'll post when I've got something. 

Ok, here's my second attempt at the Dragon logo.  This time I created it using Inkscape.  It was my first time using vectors, so that was interesting.  I'm pretty sure I always want to use vectors from now on.  I put a tail on it, brought the arm in tight, took the excess white out and well, kinda changed most of it....:)  Thoughts?56d528424e456_NewDragonsLogo2.png.871ed9

This is not bad at all. I really like where this is going and I am looking forward to seeing it evolve from concept to final product. The following is just my opinion.

just suggestion on some things to 'clean' up. I know you're still learning, but some things that really stick out is line size consistency. The silver line weight goes from thick to thin all over. The white too. They should all be consistent. Not necessarily same size for both but just consistent in size among color.

The tail is a good add. It's a bit thin to me however. It also should maybe continue the spikes to the end decreasing in size to the tip.

Lastly the red highlights could use some work too. They lack symmetry and don't match the curves in the wings very well.

I look forward to your next update.

This looks really nice; however, I do agree with KentuckyX on that the line consistency wavers and the tail should be a bit thicker with more detain than just a squiggly line. I cannot wait to see this evolve!

I think you should ditch the claw altogether.. it looks awkward... the falcons looks awkward too but they put it there to look like an F ... you dont need it.  I think your logo would like miles better with just a head, neck, wing, and tail.  no claw.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

It's funny you say that broke, I've felt all along that the claw just didn't fit, it felt out of place, and like wild wing said, it's really only there for the purpose of the "f", which I don't need. I'll try removing it later tonight. Since I'm such a rookie with Inkscape, is there a function or tool that would allow me to quickly outline the whole thing in grey evenly? I did it all by hand, creating points and then moving them around, super inaccurate and inefficient, gotta be a better way.

Think the tail should follow the shape of the spine,in that zig-zag-y line, rather than the squiggly one you have. Otherwise, I agree with removing the claw, and you've got yourself a sweet little logo!

I really like the direction with this, especially since it's your first time using vectors. Inkscape was exceptionally hard for me to learn so I stuck with the only program I felt comfortable with, Paint.net. So, kudos for actually making a pretty decent logo with Inkscape. Now, I understand that you had help from the Atlanta Falcons logo, so the compliment only goes so far (:P), but either way, I'll drop some constructive criticism your way because I really want to see what a rookie can do with vectors (heck, it may even make me want to give Inkscape another try). 

First off, I actually love the shape of the face; I wouldn't change much, if anything at all. Secondly, the colors are really nice together. I like how you brightened the red to make it pop more against the black. So the good in this logo I would say are the bright read highlights and the head of the dragon. 

Where your logo needs work is the outlining. This is your biggest issue, so I'll mention it first. The outline is jagged and inconsistent. For such a "sharp" logo, the outline should not be rounded as it is right now. The lines should meet at a point and not be rounded off. Additionally, there are gaps in the outline (under the chin and inside the claw) that can be fixed with a slightly thinner line width. You may have to literally "fill a gap," by which I mean close it off with the outline and apply the silver color to the enclosed shape. That will make it look miles better than having the white or transparent space in between, however. The tail could also use some work. It's not bad, per se, but it definitely isn't good. It staggers too much. Now, there is an effective way to create some dynamic on the tail and still having it show that motion that you were going for. What I would suggest is to put a slight curve to it and add some highlights to allude to spikes or scales, nothing too detailed or over-the-top, but something to suggest that there is some dimension there. 

Now about the initial claw, I say take it or leave it, I'd have to see the logo with and without to get a good idea of where you should go next. The bottom claw, however, as it is now, is too small to even be necessary. It just looks awkward. If you must include a logo with two claws visible the only logical way to do that would be to include both under that wing. You would have to "layer" them to give the illusion of depth since you're dealing with a 2-D visual. 

I really hope you keep this going, I'd love to see an update! Hope you got some useful ideas!

Ok, so it's been a few days.  I've been a little busy "working" and haven't had much time to do a lot of work on the logo, plus one night I spent most of the time fighting with Inkscape :)  However, I totally LOVE the CC and really tried to incorporate it into the logo.  This is version 3.0 and I feel it's really starting to come together.  As always, I'd love to hear your opinions and advice!!

Dragons_Logo_Mar_3.png.eab85276beba60511

I've been watching this topic and first of all wanted to commend you for your ability to take feedback, and rework your concept, even try a new tool...

As for the concept itself, something has been bugging me all along, and I couldn't put my finger on it.

Now, it's hard to discuss what the anatomy of a fictional/mythical character should be, but I'm starting to finally form an opinion on your design.

When I hear "Dragon", the wings aren't what first come to mind; it's fire spitting and tail, so I feel the wings are a little overpowering in your design, and what is missing in my mind is a body.

Nothing wrong with being different, but all I see here is more of a bat...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Thanks for the feedback Frenchie , and you know what...the more I look at it I would agree. A dragon should have a big long body, and although it's more of a silhouette than a drawing of one, the new wing and tail really do stand out a lot and show that there is no body. So, thanks,  you've got a good eye , but crap, now what. I might try to shrink the wing and add a body on the back side. Not sure exactly which direction to take it. I am a true fan of simple, hard line logos, only a couple contrasting colors, something that pops, but I feel like the more I add, while it TOTALLY makes good sense to add it, it might be getting away from the main type of logo that really appeals to me in the first place. I think I will certainly give it a try, but also might work another type of design as well, see which one is better in the end.

Looked better before in my opinion. I'd make the tail a little less "cropped" looking, or more proportionate to the body, and maybe instead of ditching the claw altogether, make it point behind the wing the way it would if the dragon were flying.

It's great to see how this logo has evolved! I like where the body shape is going; I think it could use some more red in the wings again but the body is looking good.

One thought that would be in the same spirit of the Falcons logo using the legs to make an F shape... if you rotate the dragon's hand on the end of the wing so it's pointing back behind him your logo could start to form a D shape with your logo. 

Looking forward to seeing this continue to develop!

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Archived