Dragons Logo

Vader

Guest darkpiranha

Yes.  I agree with the suggestion of making the laces more abstract.  They currently aren't in the style of the rest of the logo.  They look like laces cut out of a football graphic and pasted here.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so it's been a few days and I decided to change it up a little, again. :). I guess you could call this version 4.0. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks, I have really tried to listen closely and apply the advice that people have given.

56e49128de655_DragonsLogoMarch12.png.771

Guest darkpiranha

lol.  I think you have three good logo ideas, all three of which could be different aspects of a single identity (with some tweaking).  The 4.0 version feels more like a hockey logo to me, though.  The red outlines on the interior of this one makes the dragon look more like a triceratops.  What does it look like with just one solid shape of the dragon head with one outline?

I know what you mean about three different logos, all very similar in many respects. I was never happy with the dragons face until now, I always thought it looked, well non menacing for lack of a better term. I'll see what I can do on removing the interior red lines, see what that looks like. I initially was going to do this version with the whole back of the D blank, very much like Prince George Cougars logo is, then changed my mind. Still might give it a try.   A still working on learning Inkscape, it's coming but I'm still a noob. I might take the finished head off this one and apply it to the others, plus what ever else I've picked up.   Who knows what this thing will look like in a few more days. But I must say, this is my favorite version so far.

4 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

lol.  I think you have three good logo ideas, all three of which could be different aspects of a single identity (with some tweaking).  The 4.0 version feels more like a hockey logo to me, though.  The red outlines on the interior of this one makes the dragon look more like a triceratops.  What does it look like with just one solid shape of the dragon head with one outline?

I agree with you,but I think if Vader just removes the horn off of the snout,it would look like a dragon more.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Guest darkpiranha

Very nice.  I like the open back much better.  Just make this latest one have the open back and I think you have a winner.   

OK, so I've played around with this design a little to get a feel for what it would look like a few different ways. Take a look and see what one you like better, or even let me know if this type of design is the direction I should go in.

56ea32568d4c8_4DragonsLogos.thumb.png.77.

Guest darkpiranha

Not feeling the new football-shaped one as much as your previous version.  The vertical one has a more natural, majestic and iconic feel.  The horizontal seems like it's trying too hard to fit it in a football shape.  

As to the block of four, I still like the upper left one the best.  I don't like any of the ones with the outline, as it just seems to muddy things.  I know you want to incorporate some red, so maybe do some red highlights similar to how you have it on the dragon wings.  But if you really want to have a full outline, I'd go with the lower right one.   And of the two styles of mouth, I like the original better (upper left).  The less-defined lower jaw makes it feel more like a dog's mouth than the original, which clearly has a dragon-like lower jaw.  

This version seemed to be the most popular, so I cleaned it up and changed the "laces" in the front to look like belly scales. C&C would be great, it's the only reason this logo looks soooooo different from the very first one I posted a few weeks ago.56ebbb30c5033_DragonsLogoMarch18.thumb.p

Guest darkpiranha

REALLY like this version.   Only thing I'd play with is spreading out the laces a little bit.  See how far apart you can get them before they stop looking like scales.  Right now, I'm losing the laces metaphor just a bit. 

Thanks for the comments guys. Too funny how we all LOVE logos, but all love something different about them. This project has been a lot of fun, and really helped me stretch my creative juices by using a program I'm not familiar with. Inkscape is fun, but tough to figure some things out just doing trial and error. Every time I do a new version of the logo, I think, there, that's it, that's the one. Then I post it and even before anyone comments, I start thinking of ways to improve it. :). I'm going to start to play around with the shading a little, I think I would like to define the ridges in the wings a different way, would like to define the body too. But I have to get better at it before I do too much. Thinking of moving the head to be facing straight ahead too, not sure. Positive that this design is the one I'll stick with and improve though. I really like it, just needs a bit more work.  Funny thing about the laces, I like the idea of making them look like scales, and like the way they look, but I still kinda feel like the big white laces are the way to go too....

Tried a little bit of tweak.  Switched the dragon's head to face up, as if it is flying and the viewer is looking at the logo, "Dragon" from the top down. Plus, I thought I would try it with the white laces again.  Here are a few color variations. 

56ee16640c183_All7.thumb.png.3242dd1a19d

Archived