Dragons Logo

Vader

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really impressed with the direction this has taken :D

I will say, as far as the dragon-head-in-D mark goes, I think you already had a better take in either the top left or bottom right of the image posted at the top of this page. It's similar enough to the primary mark, but the more dynamic rendering of the dragon head is better suited to its own standalone logo.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Wildwing, help me fully understand what you mean, do you think I shouldn't use the same head for the D logo as I have for the primary logo, the football one? Or just use the same head, but make it look like one of the two D's you had mentioned. I just changed up the head in the D to, first see if a different design looked better, second to try to match the color scheme of the new primary logo and last because it was suggested to use the same head for each. I think the head on the new  primary is probably the best Dragon one I have made, next to the one in the sideways facing "flying to the right" one I tried out a few days ago. I angry ones in the D's are good, but not quite right.

35 minutes ago, Vader said:

Wildwing, help me fully understand what you mean, do you think I shouldn't use the same head for the D logo as I have for the primary logo, the football one?

I don't think it matters if they're identical or not, that's up to you really. But I think the way you designed it previously works better for the D logo as you've designed them both together. With your latest update, the head works just fine for the primary, but for the D it feels like it's been stuck on top of a shape that it doesn't fit into.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

You know what Zeus, you are absolutely right.  I actually never even saw it before, but after you said it, I TOTALLY see it, and the one thing I am trying to avoid is it looking like a bat.  Sooooo.....redesign.  But this time I'm coming back full circle.  it's not the same as the very first one, but it's the most reminiscent one to date that I've done, and I absolutely love it.  Yes, it can always be improved, but of every one that I've tried so far, this one by far I like the best. It's got aspects in it of nearly every design version I've tried so far.  I hope you like it....C&C please!

56f0700620d48_FlyingDragonLogo(Football)

1 hour ago, Vader said:

You know what Zeus, you are absolutely right.  I actually never even saw it before, but after you said it, I TOTALLY see it, and the one thing I am trying to avoid is it looking like a bat.  Sooooo.....redesign.  But this time I'm coming back full circle.  it's not the same as the very first one, but it's the most reminiscent one to date that I've done, and I absolutely love it.  Yes, it can always be improved, but of every one that I've tried so far, this one by far I like the best. It's got aspects in it of nearly every design version I've tried so far.  I hope you like it....C&C please!

56f0700620d48_FlyingDragonLogo(Football)

Try curving the tail on the first one. Looks out of place straight.

Guest darkpiranha

Looking good!  The laces still don't match the rest of the aesthetic.  They still look like they are cut and pasted from another graphic.  Everything else has a highlight sort of effect on it, where the laces still are just 100% the shape they are.  Choose a light source for the logo and then make the laces just play off of that angle.  If you put the light source at the upper right, then you'll get a nice rim on each lace where we can still definitely tell they are laces.   Also, the closed mouth is definitely needed on the D logo to reinforce the D shape, but I think you could still use the open mouth on the flying dragon.  

Awesome advice guys!!! Seriously, this logo would still look like the piece of crap it was when I first started without everyone's tips. Here is a copy of the D with more thicker red, I kinda like it. As for the laces, I totally get what you mean, just not sure I have the skill to pull it off. My first laces, 4 versions ago :) were just a copy paste job, these ones are actually individually created vectors for each lace, it's just hard to tell. I'll try a few things with them, but not sure what I'm able to do. My knowledge of Inkscape is growing, but still very limited. I know the laces may look like they don't belong there somewhat, but that is also a bit of the point...I want it to look like both a Dragon and a football at first glance, not just a dragon that if you look hard you can tell it also resembles a football. I'll still around though and see what I can do.  Kinda fun to look back at all of the versions so far and see how it has evolved. Ironically....this version is what I was basically picturing  all along, something that was very similar to the Falcons logo, but was a dragon, interesting how it developed... up until a day or so ago, it was not going to look like this at all, then just for fun I flipped the one that I was working on onto it's side and boom it hit me that had what I was looking for. I liked the other versions, but just wasn't happy with them. Now I really love it,  with a few more tweaks and some more great advice from everyone, it might even be nearly complete.  

56f1c70dcbbba_FlyingDragonandDMarch22lar

On March 21, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Vader said:

Well, here's an attempt at that.  Thoughts?

56ef91dedb2be_DragonsBoth.png.64c87fc85d

I love the one on the right. Subtle D background, the thin outline of the dragon head is just enough to let it stand out. I think it would work great as a baseball logo even though I know you are going for football.

Thanks Kentuckyx, I like that one too, probably my second favorite.   Once I had it in my mind that I wanted the dragons head to be the negative black some in the D though I went in a different direction.

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2016 at 1:27 PM, Vader said:

OK, made a few more modifications. Check em out. Let me know what ya think. 

Flying Dragon and D March 22.png

So, I've been out of the country for awhile and, let me say that reading over the evolution of the logo and your skill, all at once, has been incredible! This is, easily, my favorite of your presentations.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived