Michigan Tech new logos

jboogie

Well, it's definitely better, but I'm still not sure I like it that much. Maybe it's just me, but that logo looks really, really cartoony. The new font is pretty good though, definitely a better direction there.

Also, why the hell are they keeping the roundel for hockey? They've got a beautiful script that they've completely ruined by slapping it in there.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Way clean and overall a huge upgrade.  But I'd have loved to see some restraint in the number of logos. Most colleges seem to make the mistake of including way too many logos in their systems. You don't need to think of every single scenario when you make guidelines for athletic logos.  

Examples:

Word marks 5 & 6 (and there for marks 1& 2) are repetitive.  Pick one or the other. 

Pick 1 of marks 3 and 4 or don't have them at all.  They are t-shirt graphics, not logos.

#10 should be the secondary (or honestly, the primary as its the logo that should be used the most) The fact that they have to use the primary in conjunction with it is just ridiculous.  Imagine a T-shirt or hat that has to use both of those.

Honestly all they need out of that system is 2, 5, 9, 10, and maybe 12.  And 13 if they want to go by MTU. Then show the different ways to lock up the logos together, but more as examples.

Always liked the Huskies script that the hockey team had used in previous years, glad to see that is staying...it's gorgeous.  Agree that putting it in the roundel is doing it a disservice though.  I'm not totally in love with the update but at least it brings everything up to a clean, modern level. 

• 5 months later...

Of course I find this thread now that it's 5 months old! In case anyone is still around I'm throwing out my two cents! 

Being both a Tech grad and Houghton native, I have always felt the piano dog was a total 90s logo and needed a refreshing. After seeing the direction they've gone, I am not a fan. The old logo still has the ability to look clean a crisp when paired with other well designed elements.

In the last few years there has been a resurgence in vintage inspired logos, which to me, brought the piano dog back in style. It no longer felt as outdated as it did from say 2005-2010. They also did it no favors with adding "MichiganTech" in 2005 in a font that makes me think of comic sans. Just a horrible combination of 90s and 2000s design. 

To me the new logo feels like it will be quickly outdated. In fact it feels like the design came from the the early 2000s era already! It may just be that rather than pick a new font, they locked the old comic sans-esque font from the 2005 logo in the weight room with some creatine and opened the door a semester later to find an edgier more aggressive font. 

I don't dislike the Husky logo itself, but the identity package as a whole is just not my cup of tea. I agree with a few other posters in that they have too many options with too different of design styles to be cohesive. 

Archived