New South Carolina license plates

sc49erfan15

I've been meaning to post this, but I saw them in person for the first time today.

Old:

sc09.jpg

Old Alternate (technically a "specialty plate" but is available at no extra charge):

south-carolinain-God-we-trust.jpg

New:

SC%20Regular%20Passenger_zpszs459ylx.jpg

New alternate:

InGodWeTrust_zpst97txdcc.gif

It definitely didn't seem like the "sunrise" plates had been used for 8 years (?!?), but I guess so. I didn't hate them, but I do like these a lot more. I love the state motto instead of the tourism website.

Big thumbs up from me.

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I like them. Better the state motto than huge gaudy IGWT trolling.  

Um, they never dropped the IGWT motto. The old set had two options. The first was a crescent moon above the state tree with the state motto. The alternate was the American flag and the state flag with IGWT.

The new set has kept both designs. Crescent/tree/state motto and double flag/IGWT. 

I also wouldn't call the addition of "IGWT" "trolling." Considering that it's only featured on the alternate plate in each set, and thus something someone would have to specify to get. The default designs in both sets are appropriately secular ;)

20 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Um, they never dropped the IGWT motto. The old set had two options. The first was a crescent moon above the state tree with the state motto. The alternate was the American flag and the state flag with IGWT.

The new set has kept both designs. Crescent/tree/state motto and double flag/IGWT. 

I also wouldn't call the addition of "IGWT" "trolling." Considering that it's only featured on the alternate plate in each set, and thus something someone would have to specify to get. The default designs in both sets are appropriately secular ;)

Correct.

The IGWT plate is an optional "specialty" plate, just like plates offered (usually at an extra charge) to support charitable causes/universities/sports teams/literally anything. It just so happens that the IGWT plate is offered at no extra charge - I'd estimate it's almost exactly as common as the standard plate.

I am personally more of a secular humanist, no strong religious beliefs. I have the IGWT plate. I preferred the design of the IGWT plate (yay flags!) to the "Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places" plate (see below) that was in use when I started driving. I liked the "sunrise" plate, but not enough to get me to the DMV to change. I'll probably switch over to the "While I Breathe, I Hope" plate when it's time to change.

SC 99 #899 ADN

Archived