Disney Classic/Masterpiece VHS Cover appreciation

neo_prankster

I wasn't sure if the General Design subforum or the Lounge was the best place to put this thread, but I thought I'd make a thread for the Disney fans and VHS nostalgists of the CCSLC who have an appreciation for the studio's Classic and Masterpiece VHS lines.

Robin Hood was and still is one of my favorite Disney titles, and while it is head-scratching as to why they launched the Classics line with this one in '84, you'd think there would be other titles as part of the '84 launch, like maybe Alice, or the Sword in the Stone or maybe the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

photo-17.JPG 

I did not actually have this release of Robin Hood, but I did have the '91 re-release complete with previews for the Jungle Book and the Rescuers Down Under...

maxresdefault.jpg

Looking at these covers back to back, I like how the '91 cover was a reimagining/cleanup of the '84 cover.

Now, there are some titles I think Disney should have released much sooner in their history, like for example, I think the original Rescuers should have already been out on tape before they brought The Rescuers Down Under to theatres, and I think The Great Mouse Detective should have already been out by '87 and Oliver and Company by '89 and so forth. And maybe the Aristocats should have come out around '88, '89 or '90 depending what year that title was last theatrically reissued.

I love this topic. Disney is incredibly good at merchandising (duh), and their packaging helped to define the VHS era. I especially love seeing photos like these:

Complete-Set-Disney-Masterpiece-Collecti

I have a pretty significant Disney Blu-ray collection (as in, I'm a Pinoccohio away from a complete set of Snow White to Big Hero 6), and while they have a distinctive look, it's just not the same. But maybe that's nostalgia talking.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

39 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I love this topic. Disney is incredibly good at merchandising (duh), and their packaging helped to define the VHS era. I especially love seeing photos like these:

I have a pretty significant Disney Blu-ray collection (as in, I'm a Pinoccohio away from a complete set of Snow White to Big Hero 6), and while they have a distinctive look, it's just not the same. But maybe that's nostalgia talking.

The Pinocchio Platinum Edition on Blu Ray should be easy to find on Amazon or at any surviving used CD stores.

There are too many versions out there -- including the UK Region B version -- that I don't trust buying from Amazon. I'm waiting for a rerelease, which must be soon.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

There are too many versions out there -- including the UK Region B version -- that I don't trust buying from Amazon. I'm waiting for a rerelease, which must be soon.

You'd think. But is there any rhyme or reason to when they "open the Disney Vault" to re-release a film? Is it every few years? On bigger anniversary milestones? Completely random?

The Sleeping Beauty re-release made sense due to the Maleficent movie. Snow White was just re-released, however and I have no idea why.

There's a healthy secondary market on Disney Blu rays (of course there is), and Pinocchio seems to be lower than I remember. Who knows. The European releases of vaulted US films helps if you're a collector.

42 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The Sleeping Beauty re-release made sense due to the Maleficent movie. Snow White was just re-released, however and I have no idea why.

There's a healthy secondary market on Disney Blu rays (of course there is), and Pinocchio seems to be lower than I remember. Who knows. The European releases of vaulted US films helps if you're a collector.

Probably because the sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman is coming out this year.

VmWIn6B.png

12 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I believe it's next in line for a live action version, similar to Cinderella rather than Maleficent. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I believe it's next in line for a live action version, similar to Cinderella rather than Maleficent. 

It's actually Beauty & The Beast, staring Hermoine Granger and Obi-Wan Kenobi

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2771200/

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 3/4/2016 at 7:11 PM, DG_Now said:

Were you lucky enough to snag the "controversial" Little Mermaid VHS? It still makes me laugh.

To this day I can't see how Disney can claim the artwork was an accident. 

Archived