Earth Hockey League

JLNHLSEGAFAN

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, JLNHLSEGAFAN said:

It is in Texas where one of the nearest ice hockey arenas to Mexico is.

Um Mexico has arenas. They have a national hockey team. They suck, but they still have an arena.

You had good idea in mixing Sonic characters with sports. I, belies n fact, they're had been threads where some took Marvel and DC characters and translate them into the football jerseys. The problem is your execution. It seems like you trying two separate concepts: one based on real world locations, the other based on Sonic characters. In since from your username you're a big Sonic fan, you should go full Sonic universe instead of forcing Sonic-based teams on real world locations. In case you want to do a concept set in real world locations, do some research on the culture of an area before you choose their name, color scheme and arena. Mexico playing in Texas? Maybe if they were based in El Paso which is closer to Mexico's border could you could pull it off. But Dallas? That's way too far from Mexico to represent. You've could have looked further down the map on that one. Mexico does have indoor arenas that could host a hockey team. Gimnasio Miguel HidalgoGimnasio USBIMonterrey Arena or Palacio de los Deportes all host basketball which can be converted in hockey arenas. 

Getting back to the Hedgehog, sticking the 3D modeled characters verbatim on a jersey concept isn't good idea. Instead, maybe logos based of aspects of the of the characters. Most hockey jersey just use a small crest or logo instead of a full mascot. In fact, Sonic has one would be fitting for this concept: the head silhouette. 

iBPJbPB.png

If you were doing Amy, a heart with the her hammer.  Or Chaos emeralds for Knuckles. And so on. Less is more. The 2D versions would have been better for this concept, but still, that's a lot more that you want on a jersey. You have to imagine would this look out of place on the ice (or field, pitch, court, etc) if these we're real. That also goes for names and numbers on the back. Make sure that you chose a clear font that can be made out if you we're looking at a distance, since the one you're using for Knuckles is bad idea and make that sure when a putting outline and/or a drop shadow that it helps with the readability.

EDIT: One more thing for numerals, its better not to use 1 to display NOB. It's a little tip someone gave me to help visualize how two numerals would display properly on a jersey IRL.

1 hour ago, JLNHLSEGAFAN said:

Lastly, I use a program called ibispaint for the main designs, while another program, called Phonto, is used for applying the numbers.

Now that's totally unexpected. You might be the first to use mobile apps to make concepts. Most of guys on here use desktop-based apps, starting from pack-ins like Paint (search oldschoolvikings on these boards, he's a sorcerer), to the free but more powerful stuff like GIMP or Inkscape to the high-end programs like Photoshop and Illustrator. Try the first three to see what you can get or a demo of the latter two. 

The only thing I can say is, you did better than I would do on my first try..... Also WHERE IS SHADOW AND DR EGGMAN? Is it the Tokyo Evil Scientists? 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Ok well for 'real' feedback. It's a good try, Knuckles seems like the best one so far, but like that jerk said it does look like you colored over it with crayons (not to be offensive but it kinda does) so best thing there would be to fix that a bit, shouldn't be to hard. Sonics looks good, the front stripe needs to be straight. Tails' looks.... First the striping has to be thinner, the lines should NEVER go over the front logo, same with the giant yoke. Amy's the yoke has to be completely drawn in (on the back you can see it isn't) and the heart on the front of the jersey has no need to be there. 

Also if they are all SEGA does that mean Megaman would be on a team to?

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

10 minutes ago, CodeG said:

Ok well for 'real' feedback. It's a good try, Knuckles seems like the best one so far, but like that jerk said it does look like you colored over it with crayons (not to be offensive but it kinda does) so best thing there would be to fix that a bit, shouldn't be to hard. Sonics looks good, the front stripe needs to be straight. Tails' looks.... First the striping has to be thinner, the lines should NEVER go over the front logo, same with the giant yoke. Amy's the yoke has to be completely drawn in (on the back you can see it isn't) and the heart on the front of the jersey has no need to be there. 

Also if they are all SEGA does that mean Megaman would be on a team to?

Megaman is from Capcom, aka Cashcom.

But in all seriousness, the idea is good, it just needs to be cleaned up and all the edits said here. And the Reds number font is illegible.

Also, need more teams!!

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

12 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

84085-seinfeld-shudder-cringe-gif-im-zgo

Edit - I feel bad for not saying anything. Did you honestly think you'd get positive feedback on this? You unironically put Sonic on a hockey jersey.

It's totally relevant. Hedgehogs love hockey. How could you not know that? ;)

Now, on to C&C, despite the fact I am hesitant to do so because this thread is getting far too much attention as it is. But I digress.

I think you could have minimized some of the "negative" feedback by renaming the league and/or thread. Although Sonic takes places on Earth, the name "Earth Hockey League" gives no indication that the league has anything to do with Sonic & Co. There isn't even a mention in the original post. Given the timing of your post, your EHL evokes a re-envisioned Hockey World Cup. You'd be better served picking out an element from the games. Maybe "Green Hill Hockey League." Or "Sonic Hockey League," or simply "Sega Hockey League." There are plenty of threads in the Concepts that center on comics and/or games (a Pokemon soccer league comes to mind), but they are explicit about their contents.

Also, (not-so-)little things matter. Reconsider these:

• Tokyo's shoulder yokes are asymmetrical.
  • Mexico is called the Reds, has a primary color of maroon, and then uses purple, green and yellow on the jerseys. That Reds font is hard to read, too.
  • Victoria has a primary color of yellow, so it should be, well, primary. Currently you have all those colors pretty evenly weighted. Use the blue and red as accents.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I'm a big fan of both hockey and Sonic the Hedgehog; these teams are amazing:

(team name:mascot)

SPEEDSTERS:Sonic the Hedgehog

FOXES:Miles "TAILS" Prower

?ROSES:Amy Rose?

REDS:Knuckles the Echidna

Here are teams that I want you to add (NOTE: mascot names are in brackets):

Beijing Shadows [Shadow the Hedgehog]

London Jewels [Rouge the Bat]

Paris Blaze [Blaze the Cat]

Madrid Psychos [Silver the Hedgehog]

Rome Jets [Jet the Hawk]

Lisbon Storm [Storm the Albatross]

Moscow Camouflage [Espio the Chameleon]

Athens Crocodiles [Vector the Crocodile]

Amsterdam Bees [Charmy Bee]

Prague Dolls [Tails Doll]

Istanbul Metal [Metal Sonic]

Sydney Robots [E-123 Omega]

8 hours ago, tetris1983 said:

Rome Jets [Jet the Hawk]

Normally I would say something like " Don't post suggestions without prompting from the topic leader" or " Wait for the topic creator to take this in the direction he wants to take it".... But right now I don't really know what the heck is going on in this thread, soooooo carry on good sir.

19 hours ago, tetris1983 said:

Rome Jets [Jet the Hawk]

Wish granted.

BTW:

The Russian text reads "Moskva Camouflage" and "SETOGUCHI", while the Greek text reads "Athens Crocodiles" and "Ovechkin".

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So instead of going back and revising the original 4 you had, you decided to make 20 more? These all look as bad as the first ones. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

To be honest I feel the designs are decent, but they still need to be cleaned up, not just the original, and I think you should go with simpler number fonts, there are some that are way too gaudy and over the top

Also, Athens wordmark should be Αθήνα Κροκόδειλοι, which, when put in English, is Athína Krokódeiloi, which is the real way to say it in Greece, while Moscow needs to be Москва Камуфляж, which is pronounced Moskva Kamuflyzah, the literal translation in Russian. Not being nitpicky, but if you're going to translate to a language, I would strongly suggest changing it to how it is actually said in the language.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Archived