T. Kosty's OHL Redesign (Oshawa Generals Added)

tkosty

Next Project  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been posting concepts here and there to a few sites over the past year or so, and while the feedback has generally been good, I'm just looking for more feedback in general. 

While I don't have a big problem with the current look of the majority of the OHL looks, I just wanted to try and put my spin on it. The majority of concepts are alternates/fauxbacks with the occasional set mixed in as well. I will try to post a new concept from my collection every few days or so and would appreciate any and all feedback.

I will be using a modified version of the RBK Edge template from sportslogos.net along with the Conrad NHL fonts Pack (with the occasional stock fonts on my Mac).

So, without further adieu, here we go.

First up we have my first effort that was posted to hockeyjerseyconcepts, my hometown Soo Greyhounds. This was my attempt to address their weak alternate.

TylerKostiuk-SSM.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Redux said:

The Design is great! Just on ice I feel that the number on the back would be difficult to read maybe swap the colours around and it would stand out a bit more.

Yeah I thought about that after, I think the best bet would be to use a much thicker outline for the numbers. Thanks for the feedback though! Much appreciated.

Up next was my second effort and first fauxback: the Windsor Spitfires. I know that the OHL logo doesn't match colour-wise, but this was only my second concept.

TylerKostiuk-WS.png

I Love the vintage look. It really brings it to life, The shade of blue would go better with a white base rather than cream. But overall its really nice concept.

I love the Greyhounds alt, and you already recognize what you need to tweak there, so nothing more needs to be said.  Far as the Spitfires go, cream tends to be a color you use when you want your team to look like it stepped out of a bunch of 1950s hockey cards, if not earlier.  What you'd used as the shoulder crest should've been on the front instead, in that regard.  If this had used bright white, the crest you went with would be fine and dandy, but with cream, there's a temporal clash, if that makes sense.  I can see you were trying to make this Windsor sweater in the same vein as that Soo masterpiece, but the crest is simply too modern to fit a vintage aesthetic.  At least nobody's asking why your logo is trying to kill your logo, so you go that going for you. :D (long story, that one)

And now for the Sting...though I'm imagining they'd be black, I kinda wish you'd included pants, as I recall a few years back when I did a Sting set myself, I'd given em gold pants as an option and got lambasted for it.  I'm not sure the Senators alt template works for the Sting, but I applaud the balls to try it.  I like what you did with the yoke on the fauxback, reminds me of what I'd done with the home and away of my own set.  Numberwise, I'd give the gold jersey white numbers, and make the white jersey's sleeve numbers black.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

13 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I love the Greyhounds alt, and you already recognize what you need to tweak there, so nothing more needs to be said.  Far as the Spitfires go, cream tends to be a color you use when you want your team to look like it stepped out of a bunch of 1950s hockey cards, if not earlier.  What you'd used as the shoulder crest should've been on the front instead, in that regard.  If this had used bright white, the crest you went with would be fine and dandy, but with cream, there's a temporal clash, if that makes sense.  I can see you were trying to make this Windsor sweater in the same vein as that Soo masterpiece, but the crest is simply too modern to fit a vintage aesthetic.  At least nobody's asking why your logo is trying to kill your logo, so you go that going for you. :D (long story, that one)

And now for the Sting...though I'm imagining they'd be black, I kinda wish you'd included pants, as I recall a few years back when I did a Sting set myself, I'd given em gold pants as an option and got lambasted for it.  I'm not sure the Senators alt template works for the Sting, but I applaud the balls to try it.  I like what you did with the yoke on the fauxback, reminds me of what I'd done with the home and away of my own set.  Numberwise, I'd give the gold jersey white numbers, and make the white jersey's sleeve numbers black.

Made a few of the changes you had suggested for the Spitfires. I do understand what you mean with regards to the "temporal clash". Tried out a cream with the vintage logo and made a white with the more modern logo...but it came out looking like a Capitals white alternate/Oilers mess so I just let that one go.

I tried the Sens' template for the sting just to try and give it that striped/hornet look. I feel as though the alternate is the strongest from that set by far. I was nervous about using white number because I didn't want to add any white to the jersey itself, tried to keep it as close to a two-colour sweater as I could.

Thanks for the feedback!

TylerKostiuk-WS2.png

Still looking for some feedback on the Petes but I'll upload another while I'm waiting.

Re-did the entire Flint Firebirds set...got them away from the turdburger template into something more modern. I based their fauxback off a Flint Generals template from the early 2000s.

The script font on the fauxback is Krinkes Decor created by Måns Grebäck (sorry for not sourcing sooner!).

TylerKostiuk-FF2.png

I like the Flint home/away design, wish I'd thought of it.

Peterborough, I see them as a team for whom "timeless" tends to work best, and that's captured very well here. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

19 hours ago, B-mer said:

I like the color choice for Flint to tie it closer to the city and the water color... Too soon?  

Looks good though. Alt has a good vintage look. 

Haha ouch.

Thanks for the feedback, I was a little worried at first about pairing a vintage alternate with a more modern home/away set, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

15 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I like the Flint home/away design, wish I'd thought of it.

Peterborough, I see them as a team for whom "timeless" tends to work best, and that's captured very well here. 

Thanks for the feedback, glad to see people are liking some of the looks.

I know the Peterborough set isn't anything too groundbreaking, but I always like to see teams with a lot of history in classic sets.

I've got two more finished teams and a bunch that I've been working on. If there are any team requests out there, let me know, I'm always up for a challenge.

Here's a set I did for the Mississauga Steelheads. Anything to get them away from wearing Leafs jerseys. The alternate uses the St. Michael's Majors' colour scheme.

Again, nothing too groundbreaking, just went for a clean look.

TylerKostiuk-MS.png

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so moving on to the Sudbury Wolves.

I promoted their current alternate logo to primary and used the current logo for the alternate and throwback. The throwback is inspired by a sweater they wore in the 1930s:

wolvespostcard.jpg

TylerKostiuk-SW.png

Archived