Redoing my older logos.

ZionEagle

So I went up on a personal project of mine as I was looking back at some really crappy old logos I made. Of course, looking back now, I understand I was just starting to design, so I could forgive myself for spitting out such awful logos. Still, I couldn't leave such eyesores in my folders without attempting to rework them. 

I'll give a little background for the first logo I redid.

When I first started designing, I had decided to do so for the team creator in Madden 07. I originally just took photos of the internet, but then I decided to make my own. I started off in Powerpoint, since I was already familiar with the program.

Probably the first team I made but never showed off (for good reasons) was the Madison Roos (based in Wisconsin for some unbeknownst reason).

So here are the originals,

c3pfdxZ.png

8hmUmtX.png

There they are in all their cringe worthy glory.

So now for the updates and explanations,

I5xLL3n.png

mKyr4Y9.png

-First thing you'll notice is a color change. I decided the natural colors I chose originally didn't scream "sports team" so I chose something different.

-Second I edited the hideous wordmark, and gave it an adventurous sort of font.

-Drastic changes on the kangaroo itself obviously. I kept the body structure, but smoothed it out and made the outlines even.

-The highlights and outlines became a lot simpler with less jagged points all over the place.

-Tried to give the paws more definition.

-The head is probably what I overhauled the most. I looked up kangaroo pictures and found the forehead incline isn't as drastic as the original logo, and the ears were just terrible. I tilted the ears back to make him seem stern/aggressive.

Let me know what your thoughts are and if you'd like to see more of this project.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it.

So I guess I will continue with the series then.

First up, is a Moose logo I made for a basketball league I was going to make. The idea kind of died, but the logo didn't.

Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted the old logo, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it was darn awful.

2IFuOY2.png

I know the antlers are a little odd, but that was intended as I tried to keep it as close to the original as possible.

-I drastically reduced the shadow colors and made everything less congested. The original had like 6 different colors in it.

-Smoothed out lines, and reduced number of points. 

-Also edited the legs and antlers slightly.

Next up is my roadrunner logo. This one wasn't terrible, it just needed some love.

WtxI6yR.png

qCCxs38.png

-Again, I smoothed out some lines and sharpened others.

-Got rid of the extra shadows and highlights. They were really just cluttering the logo.

-Other small changes to face and legs here and there, nothing drastic.

Lastly I redid my Timberwolves redesign. I couldn't decide on definite colors, so you guys can help me pick which new logo is best.

Dmgg6eB.png

Blergh. The lines are awful, and I hate black in logos.

Iph2wsZ.png

-Changed the colors a bit to be more throwback. (Not to mention got rid of that hideous black....)

- Edited lines and fur, sharpened things up a bit. 

-Made new trees.

And....I can't decide which colors I like best. I need your opinion on that issue.

Comments and Criticism appreciated :)

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

On 6/3/2016 at 1:38 AM, ZionEagle said:

So I went up on a personal project of mine as I was looking back at some really crappy old logos I made. Of course, looking back now, I understand I was just starting to design, so I could forgive myself for spitting out such awful logos. Still, I couldn't leave such eyesores in my folders without attempting to rework them. 

I'll give a little background for the first logo I redid.

When I first started designing, I had decided to do so for the team creator in Madden 07. I originally just took photos of the internet, but then I decided to make my own. I started off in Powerpoint, since I was already familiar with the program.

Probably the first team I made but never showed off (for good reasons) was the Madison Roos (based in Wisconsin for some unbeknownst reason).

So here are the originals,

c3pfdxZ.png

8hmUmtX.png

There they are in all their cringe worthy glory.

So now for the updates and explanations,

I5xLL3n.png

mKyr4Y9.png

-First thing you'll notice is a color change. I decided the natural colors I chose originally didn't scream "sports team" so I chose something different.

-Second I edited the hideous wordmark, and gave it an adventurous sort of font.

-Drastic changes on the kangaroo itself obviously. I kept the body structure, but smoothed it out and made the outlines even.

-The highlights and outlines became a lot simpler with less jagged points all over the place.

-Tried to give the paws more definition.

-The head is probably what I overhauled the most. I looked up kangaroo pictures and found the forehead incline isn't as drastic as the original logo, and the ears were just terrible. I tilted the ears back to make him seem stern/aggressive.

Let me know what your thoughts are and if you'd like to see more of this project.

This logo is fantastic. Congrats!

whereicomefrom.png

Whichever way you go, it would be helpful to put white back into the logo.

So you think white would look good as highlights or completely removing the grey? I kind of like the gray, but I could make it white instead.

This logo is fantastic. Congrats!

Thanks man.

Any other suggestions?

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

You are a very talented designer. I actually think you're first edition of the t-wolves looks the best, but that's just because you're using colors in the update edition that kinda blur together. Absolutely love the kangaroo though!

Thank you for the compliment! Do you think that if I put white in the newer T-Wolves logo, they would look better?

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

7 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

i liked the original trees in the wolf logo.

Do you like the shape or just the shadows on the original trees?

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

So I put white in the logo and changed the trees slightly. Also edited lines a bit.

jtAWYKP.png

And a little logo evolution here.

hqKtG1h.png

Which colors look better?

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

love the way the new logo looks with those trees. I personally really like the silver and black look of the first logo the most, the white sky background just doesn't work for me. I'd like the see the darkest shade of blue stay as the sky color. I also like the way the silver shading is done on the first wolf near the mouth, it makes the fur look more realistic, on the other two the shading looks more like the wolf just ate a blue berry pie or something. 

@Rollins Man Thanks. Well, I like the current colors, but I'll do a silver and black version just for you all. Haha, I do agree about the mouth, can't unsee the blueberry image :D

Any other thoughts before I redo the logo?

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

• 3 weeks later...

*Blows some dust away*

I decided to show off a logo progression I did here, even though it was a relatively new logo I made as far as time is concerned, I made a lot of major tweaks to it.

Recently my youth group leader came up to me after seeing my logo work and asked me if I could make a logo for him. He's a track coach, and he needed a logo for his team hoodies (because, as I pointed out to him, the logo on his original hoody was a ripoff and is different from his school logos). 

The school that he works at is the Tioga Central School, their mascot is a tiger.

Here is their original logo.

logo.png

Not the worst high school logo out there, but it's essentially a colored illustration, not a logo. For some reason it reminds me of a rabbit.....idk.

Originally, I had planned on doing a side profile of a tiger roaring, and I stuck with this idea. I think it would work better for a team. 

Anyways, I had trouble starting out, and my preliminary logo just downright sucked.

WW06TSa.png

Yeah. Blergh. 

-The colors for the school were hard to make the logo contrast, so I added shadows....didn't really look great.

-The reference image I used didn't really work well because of how the tiger was contorted, so, mistake on my part.

-The tiger face....doesn't really scream tiger. More like tabby cat on steroids.

-Not the least, I am not the greatest at stripes.

So as you could see, I couldn't very well send this logo, so I tried again.

This time my extra effort paid off.

sPoo1CX.png

This time I went for more muscle and definition. I looked at other tiger logos to see how to minimalize the stripes but make it look enough like a tiger. I also looked at more real tigers to see how the striping played out.

-Not a full on growl, but I think it is more effective for a high school team.

-I still hate the schools colors, but I have to use them (The yellow just screams kill me). I ditched the shadows for a cleaner look.

-Overall, I just drastically changed the anatomy.

i4Yq3UC.png

I tried a white outline. It's a little wobbly, but I can fix that later.

In the early stages I also had a pupiless version, but decided a pupil was better.

I also tried a different color option for my own satisfaction, I'll probably use it in Madden custom teams :)

gbZemUC.png

Let me know what your thoughts are :)

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

Archived