Discrim

Some have wondered...and I've joined that some.  About what, exactly?  Basically, what if the Cubs didn't use the C-ubs roundel, that's what.  Back in 2013, I'd made an updated version of the old bear & bat logo for a standalone third uniform, and then brought it back for the first entry of the Rivalry Series.  I've been meaning to tweak it, however, and decided to not ony see how it'd far as the primary logo, but see how it'd look in some suggested color schemes I recall seeing suggested for the Cubs, especially during the Color Game era of a few years back.  The first scheme is the traditional blue and red, the second is sky blue, brown and cream, while the last is sky blue and maroon.

cubs16idsheet.png

Uniforms after the jump.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Leading off, the tradtional blue & red...I'd thought about going without pinstripes, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  Decided to go a bit avant garde with the grays' sleeves, and put together a Chicago script bookended with stars.  Also included a gray cap for day road games.

cubs16main.png

Alternates...the home alt is the 40s-50s look with the bear & bat, and for the hell of it, the cub head over the number on the back, flanked by stars, and the cap paired with it has a cream C instead of the usual red.  You could say the blue jersey is an avant garde version of the 80s blues.

cubs16alt1.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

Batting second, the blue & brown set, starting with the home and away...not often that a team's secondary color is what it uses for pinstripes, but powder blue pins didn't show up well on cream, so brown it was.  Also opted for a lighter gray than was used in the royal/red set, but with the same nontraditional sleeve style.  The main cap has brown trim around the bill, while the alt cap has a Padres-style front panel.

cubsbrown16main.png

Alternates...the away alt is a powder blue version of the grays.  The home alt is based on one of the uniforms worn by the '33 Cubs...which I'd also based that older bear & bat jersey on.

cubsbrown16alt.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

Lastly, the blue/maroon set...as timberwolf put it, the colors scream 70s Phillies.  Figured the first thing to do to mitigate that somewhat was to emphasize blue more than maroon.  Since they show up better this time, the pinstripes are blue; the roads use a more traditional sleeve motif this time: the T-bars that appeared on the late 30s Cubs' uniforms.

cubsmaroon16main.png

The home alt is based on the early 40s vests, while the '79 pinstriped powder blues make a spiritual return here for the hell of it.

cubsmaroon16alt.png

I have posted...the floor is yours.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A couple tweaks...the lettering in the secondary roundel and road script aside from the C, I made from scratch...but the more I looked at it, the better I thought I should've done, so both were altered.

cubs16main_1.png

cubs16alt1_1.png

The blue/brown set got a color tweak, in addition.  Decided the blue could stand to be darkened a bit there, and the powder blue jersey now reads Cubs instead of Chicago.  I also tweaked the main cap's bill a bit.

cubsbrown16main_1.png

cubsbrown16alt_1.png

And blue/maroon with the new road script and roundel for good measure (I didn't think the darker blue would work as well here, so it remains as the lighter shade.

cubsmaroon16main_1.png

cubsmaroon16alt_1.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

Sometimes you just cry tears of joy when you see a fantastic concept. This one made me need to go find a bucket. Awesome job Discrim, I love the blue and brown combo and if Chicago ever decides to wear a fan-made jersey, I hope they pick your home jersey from the blue and brown color scheme. Please brighten our days by making many more baseball concepts.

On Sunday, March 06, 2016 at 9:04 AM, timberwolf said:

They all are beautiful. I especially like the brown/blue set. The alternate is spot on.

Thank you kindly...tbh, I figure no matter how strictly the blue-first edict was adhered to, the Phillies comparison would be unavoidable...but I never knew how much I'd like blue/brown until I got started here.

On Tuesday, March 08, 2016 at 8:35 AM, coco1997 said:

Just discovering this topic now. Love your baseball concepts, Discrim, and I hope to see more. These are fantastic!

What took ya so long?  :P j/k, thanks coco.

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Megildur said:

Sometimes you just cry tears of joy when you see a fantastic concept. This one made me need to go find a bucket. Awesome job Discrim, I love the blue and brown combo and if Chicago ever decides to wear a fan-made jersey, I hope they pick your home jersey from the blue and brown color scheme. Please brighten our days by making many more baseball concepts.

Man...high praise.  I know one thing, if I had to take every single baseball...no, every single concept I've ever made, and pick just 10 to have made in reality, I'd be hard pressed to exclude anything from this thread.  This, considering I've done this...and these...and this...with a good helping of this...and some of this.  Tough choice, really.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived