New Rochester Rhinos logo?

Gothamite

The Rochester Rhinos have new ownership (after an ugly mess), and it looks like they have a new logo as well.

Cc9R02aUkAAlsXB.jpg:large

For comparison, here's the current one:

709px-Rochester_Rhinos_2011.svg.png

I love mascot logos, but this one just never worked for me.  I think it's the terrible wordmark.

Shame to lose the ball-on-horn.  This one looks more like a secondary to me, but could be part of a great package.

Nice ;)  As somebody who LOVES rhinos, I like what I'm seeing so far.

Hopefully a return to the NASL will be forthcoming...the USL is the "MLS D-League" while the NASL is the league with its own identity.

bYhYmxh.png

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Rochester Rhinos have new ownership (after an ugly mess), and it looks like they have a new logo as well.

Cc9R02aUkAAlsXB.jpg:large

For comparison, here's the current one:

709px-Rochester_Rhinos_2011.svg.png

I love mascot logos, but this one just never worked for me.  I think it's the terrible wordmark.

Shame to lose the ball-on-horn.  This one looks more like a secondary to me, but could be part of a great package.

I can't see in that post the new logo :0

whereicomefrom.png

5 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

Cool!

Rhinos are probably one of the most underused animals in sports, given they are cool, badass and endangered, so they need the publicity.

I'm surprised there isn't a NFL or NHL team with a rhino mascot

Well, there almost was...

2614979390_636663429f_b.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

13 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

Cool!

Rhinos are probably one of the most underused animals in sports, given they are cool, badass and endangered, so they need the publicity.

I'm surprised there isn't a NFL or NHL team with a rhino mascot

Are there even any colleges with this mascot? I can't think of any offhand? Certainly not in Division I...

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

10 hours ago, nash61 said:

Well, there almost was...

2614979390_636663429f_b.jpg

The NFL pushed the name for the proposed Baltimore expansion team in the 90s.

NFL horns in on a name: Rhinos

However, four days later:

With Rhinos fiasco, NFL discovers nicknames are serious business

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think the word "Rhinos" is why you don't see that used more in sports branding. It doesn't sound as good as Bears or Rams or Tigers. 

I was always a big fan of the Grand Rapids Rampage logo

75365193.eFGM3nAn.jpg

The new logo for the Rochester Rhinos isn't bad, but I think they should've chosen a different angle to render the animal. The key feature of a rhinoceros is the shape of the head and the horns. You lose the strength of both when you look at it from the front. 

I would've updated the existing rhino and fixed those wordmarks. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

And "Bombers" was supposed to be so much better?

Don't look at me.  I've always been partial to "Ravens" . . . even before the expansion derby began.  I named a club soccer team I played on in the 80s the Dulaney Valley FC Ravens because I thought it was a cool name.*

* -- It was purely coincidental that we had purple jerseys.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

On 3/8/2016 at 10:18 AM, leopard88 said:

The NFL pushed the name for the proposed Baltimore expansion team in the 90s.

NFL horns in on a name: Rhinos

However, four days later:

With Rhinos fiasco, NFL discovers nicknames are serious business

Fascinating thing with that first article is that Jacksonville isn't even mentioned among the cities vying for an expansion team.  They really were under the radar, weren't they?

GR30a5H.png

1 hour ago, Saint Zephyr III said:

Fascinating thing with that first article is that Jacksonville isn't even mentioned among the cities vying for an expansion team.  They really were under the radar, weren't they?

I didn't even notice that.  At one point, Jacksonville essentially dropped out the process, but I don't remember exactly when that was.

This article says it happened on July 21, 1993, about 20 days before the Rhinos article.

Surprise! It's Jacksonville In Nfl Landslide

This article just says "July and August."

PRO FOOTBALL; N.F.L. Expansion Surprise: Jacksonville Jaguars

New colors - they've traded in the athletic gold for a more antique mustard gold.   I wonder if that means no more green/gold striped shirts?

I like this set - it has at least one too many secondaries, but that's sort of par for the course these days.   Love the new wordmark and the new rhino figures are well done. 

Archived