State Soccer Uniforms

Mix_28

Hey, I'm making soccer jerseys for every state in the US plus D.C. I'll do a color, white, and alternate in that order. So, Let's start with Sweet Home Alabama:

69FB3E341C.txt]&sink=format[png]&key=key                32DD6879E1.txt]&sink=format[png]&key=key9F385A019C.txt]&sink=format[png]&key=key

The white text/ number on the second one is a no-go. The font choice is okay, but it could be better. For "The Heart of Dixie" I'd go with a more "whimsical" script-type font and increase the jersey number size. The jersey striping is a lot, which is sort of mitigated by the simplicity of the rest of the uniform, so it could stay if you killed the outline on the names and numbers and moved them down a tad. Call me a traditionalist, but I think all things Alabama sports should use either Auburn's NW stripe or Alabama's skinny double-stripe. Regarding the color choice, I think you should go with something other than the primary color scheme of a major in-state university. I feel like that would alienate a lot of people from the potential (fictional) fan base. As for the BFBS uniform, please kill it and we'll all pretend it never happened.

Overall, it's an O.K. design, but there's nothing special about it that screams "Alabama!", which I think is a necessary trait, especially in concept series like this. This looks like it was taken from a catalog and had words and numbers slapped onto it.

14 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

The white text/ number on the second one is a no-go. The font choice is okay, but it could be better. For "The Heart of Dixie" I'd go with a more "whimsical" script-type font and increase the jersey number size. The jersey striping is a lot, which is sort of mitigated by the simplicity of the rest of the uniform, so it could stay if you killed the outline on the names and numbers and moved them down a tad. Call me a traditionalist, but I think all things Alabama sports should use either Auburn's NW stripe or Alabama's skinny double-stripe. Regarding the color choice, I think you should go with something other than the primary color scheme of a major in-state university. I feel like that would alienate a lot of people from the potential (fictional) fan base. As for the BFBS uniform, please kill it and we'll all pretend it never happened.

Overall, it's an O.K. design, but there's nothing special about it that screams "Alabama!", which I think is a necessary trait, especially in concept series like this. This looks like it was taken from a catalog and had words and numbers slapped onto it.

I'm doing the colors of the state flags, not a university. The Alabama State Flag is red/white so the uniforms are red/white.                  th?&id=OIP.Mfa6b1f5fcb9f5eb49c3c62fa69fc 

The next state is the Last Frontier: Alaska

3A3DE2943F.txt]&sink=format[png]&key=key        9D52931E38.txt]&sink=format[png]&key=key          770E1439ED.txt]&sink=format[png]&key=key

1 hour ago, JosiahWVU said:

They look good but they don't look soccer-ish. Most soccer kits have a small crest not a wordmark.

I know. That's exactly why I'm putting a wordmark so they're unique.

2 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

They look good but they don't look soccer-ish. Most soccer kits have a small crest not a wordmark.

Right now they look like lacrosse uniforms.  It's good to take ideas from the state flags and landmarks.  Right now it needs something beyond the wordmarks and giant moose head.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Is that a bear on Alabama's uniforms? Why? For Coach Bryant? Our state bird is the yellowhammer why not go with that. As an Auburn fan I would have a hard time with this team. It really looks like something the Crimson Tide would wear. I understand the flag and the university have the same/similar colors but 35% to 40% of the state would agree with me.

9MWGnRE.pngaub-tiger-eyes.jpg

They all look like generic team sports catalog jerseys that a youth rec center league would use. Look at existing professional, semi pro, and collegiate jerseys to get an idea of how to incorporate modern design features. The thread idea is cool, but you need to really step up your designs. You may want to use a different template. 

Some ideas to consider (a few of these will be repeats):

• Using a wordmark to be unique doesn't work for soccer...unless these are for high school teams. Even if you just use the state abbreviation in a roundel and include that as the crest, you'd be better off. Or at least come off more like soccer.
  • Alabama - Stick with your original versions; those updates are far too boring (sorry). But, remove the shoulder pattern from the originals. I actually like the white-on-white of "Alabama" on your second kit, but nix the 3D approach to all text you're using; a stroke would work just fine there. And please don't use that updated "Heart of Dixie" font.
  • Alaska - Not a terrible approach, but given the colors, it is way too similar to the Michigan Wolverines. Can't unsee that. See how good, ol-fashioned stripes look. The third kit does need to go, for sure (too 90s and, besides, it's just another navy kit). Your update is much more interesting. "Nanooks of the North" is too much.
  • Colors - The "red" in your Alabama kits is coming across like the Crimson Tide. This wouldn't be an issue if you were using the color of a state's namesake university, but because you're using flags, I would work on color corrections here. I imagine that is due, in part, to the template you're using and the shading layer(s), but for AL, the red is dampened too much.
  • Third kits, in general - Give credit to wherever you got the (is that a) "Bear" and the Moose.

Also, this is quite accurate:

11 hours ago, Whitefoot said:

They all look like generic team sports catalog jerseys that a youth rec center league would use.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

18 hours ago, Phil B. said:

Is that a bear on Alabama's uniforms? Why? For Coach Bryant? Our state bird is the yellowhammer why not go with that. As an Auburn fan I would have a hard time with this team. It really looks like something the Crimson Tide would wear. I understand the flag and the university have the same/similar colors but 35% to 40% of the state would agree with me.

Because the bear is one of Alabama's state symbol.

1 hour ago, lacrosse beast said:

Forget this thread even existed. I'm done 

I'd hate to see you abandon this, but that's your call. Maybe just take a bit, refine and return...?

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

1 hour ago, jdp said:

I'd hate to see you abandon this, but that's your call. Maybe just take a bit, refine and return...?

I said I'M DONE:mad:

4 hours ago, lacrosse beast said:

Forget this thread even existed. I'm done 

1 hour ago, JosiahWVU said:

Lighten up man, we're just trying to help you get better.

What part of FORGET THIS THREAD EVEN EXISTED did you not get?

Archived