Formula One 2016 - Full Grid & Bonus Added

marble21

500px-F1_logo.svg.png

It's that time of year again. The 2016 Formula One season is fast approaching. Just like last year, I have created some concepts of what I think the current grid should look like in my ideal world. I've also created a number of bonus concepts for fun. The teams will be released in order of their final position in the 2015 constructors standings, with Haas being last due to them being a new entry. If you have any suggestions of teams/ideas you would like to see then please comment. All proper C&C will also gladly be taken on board and addressed.

Teams

Mercedes - Page 1
Ferrari - Page 1
Williams - Page 1
Red Bull - Page 1
Force India - Page 1
Renault - Page 1
Toro Rosso - Page 2
Sauber - Page 2
McLaren - Page 2
Manor - Page 2
Haas - Page 2

Full grid posted on page 2

Bonus - all posted on page 2

Aston Martin

Brawn GP

Dennit Racing

Ford (USA theme)

Gulf Racing

Jordan (Hornet)

Lamborghini

Ligier

Marble F1

McLaren (alternative designs)

Nextev

Target Chip Ganassi

Williams 1992 & 1996

Suggestions welcome

Template

The template is based off of the following PNG image: LINK. - Many different variations can also be found on the autosport forums (google it).

I used Inkscape to create these 2016 concepts and Photoshop for the 2015 concepts, so if anybody would like an SVG or PSD template then send me a PM stating which format(s) you want with your email address and I will happily send them over to you.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Mercedes

First up is the reigning champion Silver Arrows. Named so by the German press because of the dominant silver cars run by the Mercedes team in the 1930s Grand Prix races. The team also entered two seasons in the Formula One championship in the 1950s using the silver paint. The reason for this is because before sponsorship liveries, teams would use the official colour of the nation they were from and Germany's racing colour was silver.

mercedes-w07-f1_3419147.jpg

The actual 2016 Mercedes car incorporates both the traditional silver scheme that we are all familiar with and teal from sponsors Petronas. I do love this combination but what I don't like is the use of black. On my concept I have eliminated all black elements and stuck with a simple silver scheme. It is meant to be marginally brighter than the actual silver used and have a slight reflectiveness to it. I have kept the teal but made it sort of blend into the silver rather than be a separate element like the actual 2016 car. The teal outlines on the rims remain and the #KeepFightingMichael slogan is placed just below the wing mirrors.

yDcIuiU.png

Haven't seen a series like this, nor do I follow F1 very closely, but I will definitely follow after seeing the great Mercedes concept.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

I agree with you. With silver wings it is much better. Waiting for Williams and Force India)) 
As for suggestions some modern variations of past teams: Jordan(with hornet), Ligier(gitanes livery), Larrousse(tourtel livery ) etc.

On 3/8/2016 at 1:54 PM, RedfieldNick said:

Haven't seen a series like this, nor do I follow F1 very closely, but I will definitely follow after seeing the great Mercedes concept.

Thanks. I was hoping to bring something different to the concepts section and maybe spark some more interest in F1 here on the boards.

On 3/8/2016 at 3:51 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

Awesome Mercedes. 2010-esque. One thing I would add though is maybe a hidden amg somewhere. As for suggestions Chevrolet, Toyota, Target Chip Ganassi, and KCMG. Will follow closely

Edit. Just saw the amg. My bad I missed it.

Yeah, it was the 2011 and 2012 cars that I took most of the inspiration from. I think those cars looked a lot better than the recent liveries.

I did a fantasy Chevrolet car last year in my 2015 series (link in original post), so I think I will try the Target Chip Ganassi one.

On 3/8/2016 at 6:17 PM, Pava said:

I agree with you. With silver wings it is much better. Waiting for Williams and Force India)) 
As for suggestions some modern variations of past teams: Jordan(with hornet), Ligier(gitanes livery), Larrousse(tourtel livery ) etc.

Thanks. Williams is pretty much complete so it shouldn't be too long before I post that. Just need to finish and post Ferrari first.

Like above, I did a Jordan car last year but with the shark and not the hornet. I'll try the Hornet one if I get around to it. I like the idea of a Ligier car with that livery but with updated sponsorships - as Gitanes is tobacco.

Ferrari

Next we have Ferrari. Quite possibly the only threat to Mercedes this year. The 2016 car has seen a return to the more retro liveries used in the 1970s with the white area around the air intake. I am actually a big fan of this but I still think there is too much black on the car and the ferrari logo on the side is too obtrusive. Vettel's white helmet really fits in too.

image1.img.640.medium.jpg

75voi-ferrari312t.jpg

For my concept I decided to include but reduce the size of the white panel. The colours of the Italian flag also stay as I think that is a nice touch. The Rossa Corsa was obviously chosen as the main colour. I moved a few of the sponsors around to get a cleaner look e.g. Shell on the sidepod not competing with the UPS logo. I also increased the size of the prancing horse logo on the side of the car to make it more prominent. I know you can't see because of the angle of the template but the front and rear wing surfaces are white with red Santander logos to match the barge boards. Other than that it is not too complicated. I wanted to make my concept simpler than the real car which is why there are less elements. I wanted the striking red colour to speak for itself.

Evuo8IZ.png

Next up is Williams.

Williams

So the Williams Martini livery might be one of my favourites of all time. I was a huge fan of Williams when I was a kid, especially the 1996 season when Damon Hill became world champion. It is a shame that I have fallen out of love with the team which began with a 6 year old marble21 crying when Hill was told he would not have his contract renewed before the 96 season was even over. The team was uncompetitive for a long time but has returned as a front runner with the Mercedes engines. However, the team lacks a winning mentality in my opinion and have thrown away winning positions a few times down to bad decisions made on the pit wall.

Below we have the 2016 FW38 on top and the FW37 at the bottom. I am glad they haven't tinkered much with what is a very clean and recognisable look. Close to perfection really.

Williams-FW38-Technik-F1-2016-fotoshowBi

So here you go, @Pava! The only real change is using black text for the sponsor logos placed on white backgrounds. I also placed the Senna memorial logo on the bargeboard so that it was more prominent.

2R4amOx.png

Red Bull tomorrow hopefully.

On 14/3/2016 at 10:58 AM, marble21 said:

Ferrari

Next we have Ferrari. Quite possibly the only threat to Mercedes this year. The 2016 car has seen a return to the more retro liveries used in the 1970s with the white area around the air intake. I am actually a big fan of this but I still think there is too much black on the car and the ferrari logo on the side is too obtrusive. Vettel's white helmet really fits in too.

image1.img.640.medium.jpg

75voi-ferrari312t.jpg

For my concept I decided to include but reduce the size of the white panel. The colours of the Italian flag also stay as I think that is a nice touch. The Rossa Corsa was obviously chosen as the main colour. I moved a few of the sponsors around to get a cleaner look e.g. Shell on the sidepod not competing with the UPS logo. I also increased the size of the prancing horse logo on the side of the car to make it more prominent. I know you can't see because of the angle of the template but the front and rear wing surfaces are white with red Santander logos to match the barge boards. Other than that it is not too complicated. I wanted to make my concept simpler than the real car which is why there are less elements. I wanted the striking red colour to speak for itself.

Evuo8IZ.png

Next up is Williams.

It looks great, well done!

whereicomefrom.png

Thanks for the positive comments. I don't mind any criticism if it's there to be made.

12 hours ago, lopernv said:

Interested to see how you improve on Red Bull, as they have one of the most beautiful cars on the grid for 2016.

Sorry to disappoint but I haven't even attempted to improve on it. 

Red Bull

As lopernv said, the Red Bull RB12 is a beautiful car. They have dropped the iridescent purple effect which I was really not a fan of and replaced it with a matte navy finish. There are rumours around the paddock that this was intentionally done for aerodynamic benefit. I don't quite believe this myself. I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering, so aerodynamics is something I have some knowledge with. Surface smoothness can have a small effect, however things like the S-ducts and turning vanes will far outweigh this. It's more than likely an idea from the marketing team that was given the green light by the design engineers afterwards than the other way around. 

red-bull-7.jpg

Sorry it's not more exciting but I really love this years Red Bull car. I couldn't recreate the matte finish on my template but it's meant to be there. It is meant to just be a like for like copy of the real thing.

Pqp3aJq.png

Force India next, where there are actually some changes! I know these haven't been too exciting so far but I am going for an overall balanced grid rather than outlandish designs for each car. When the fantasy concepts come around at the end I will try some more adventurous design elements.

Force India

One of several teams to move away from a more distinctive look to a black/silver based one. Personally, I feel like the team lost some of it's charm when it did that. Sure, there is still orange and green on the car but it is no longer the defining feature. The performance of the Force India is one of the cars I am least sure on. They have the potential to be more than just a midfield runner this year. There are a few teams above them that are there for the taking but realistically they are not going to be challenging Mercedes and Ferrari. They have had financial issues which could prevent that progress and development from happening though. I am excited to see how they get on.

f1-barcelona-february-testing-2016-nico-

My preferred look for the team is pretty much the VJM05 used in the 2012 season. It is a unique look that uses the colours from the indian flag and is instantly recognisable.

force-india-vjm05-14.jpg

For my concept I decided to try and match this as best I could. The colours are washed out a little bit so that there is some distinction from the red cars on the grid. I also didn't want to go too yellow - but I'm not going to say why just yet. I have also removed the Sahara sponsorship from the sidepod as they are rumoured to have split from the team after fraud allegations away from F1.

VamUWaP.png

Renault next.

All your changes are really good so far. But I'm glad you changed nothing on RB and Williams. The Martini painting on Williams looks good as it is. And man, RB maybe got the best paint I ever saw on an F1 car. They just hammered it out of the park with this one.

Looking forward to see your ideas on McLaren as I hate their new paint (I don't want them to go back to silver though).

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Archived