Formula One 2016 - Full Grid & Bonus Added

marble21

Thanks for the comments once again. I have made a good start on the bonus/fantasy concepts suggested.

On 3/18/2016 at 9:51 AM, Berlin Wall said:

All your changes are really good so far. But I'm glad you changed nothing on RB and Williams. The Martini painting on Williams looks good as it is. And man, RB maybe got the best paint I ever saw on an F1 car. They just hammered it out of the park with this one.

Looking forward to see your ideas on McLaren as I hate their new paint (I don't want them to go back to silver though).

I definitely agree with you on Williams and Red Bull. Both teams have fantastic branding in general and that has translated well onto the cars. Red Bull does such a good job branding in other sports, it was about time that their F1 car reached that standard too.

McLaren won't be the black scheme they are using now.

On 3/20/2016 at 10:44 PM, lopernv said:

Absolutely wish Force India would go back to white. I seem to remember the white paint being heavier or something, but I'm not sure if that was paddock chatter or truth

Considering the cars are made from carbon fibre which is pretty much black, I can believe that a white livery would need a thicker coat of paint than a black one, which would mean extra weight. As with Red Bull's matte paint though, I don't think it would be enough to make any effect other than a negligible one. Saying that though, maybe that is why Williams can't keep up with Mercedes despite having an almost identical engine?

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Apologies for the delay. Hope everyone enjoyed the Aussie GP.

Renault

So in testing Renault came out with a black livery. I was massively disappointed. However, not too long afterwards they brought out the proper livery, which was a kind of deep yellow featuring a hexagon pattern on the side. A massive improvement and one which was rejoiced by many F1 fans who appreciated the throwback to the Renault cars which dominated the turbo era of the late 70s and 1980s.

image1.img.640.medium.jpgimage1.img.640.medium.jpg

Before the actual yellow livery was released, I had pretty much completed my concept. I, like many, wanted a throwback to the 1980s renaults and based most of my concept around the Renault RS10 below. I'm a big fan of different colour sidepods, which you may notice from my concepts. Yellow, black and white are about as close to traditional colours for Renault that you can find.

afe1e5364f6baae4531c8ff885fc651c.jpg

So, here is my concept. As you can see it is a hybrid of the RS10 and 2016 look. I combined the white sidepods of the RS10 with the deeper yellow look of the RS16. I included a few of the honeycomb/hexagon pattern at the rear of the car. You can't really see much of them but they continue down slightly onto the part of the car that can't be seen on the template. Once again, a lot of this concept is about creating a balanced looking grid overall than wacky designs for each car.

EJtUb48.png

4 hours ago, prof said:

Can I post my work here? Or i have to start a new topic?

Forum rules are to post your own topic. Thanks for asking first though. I look forward to seeing what you have come up with. The more motorsport (and other non big 4 sports) concepts on these boards the better IMO. 

12 hours ago, TheBigBuc said:

I have a suggestion, why not do either Ford F1 (traditional US racing colors, blue with White Cunningham stripes) or Chevy (or Corvette) (Yellow with black Cunningham Stripes)

Sure. I will give at least one of those a go.

Toro Rosso

So, I always kind of associated Toro Rosso livery as being a cooler looking version of the Red Bull one. The charging bull on the side of the car looks more stronger and more aggressive. That's obviously changed this year but I still love the look of the STR11.

STR11%20%20Toro%20Rosso%20RX%20680.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the way the Red Bull Cola sponsor looks on the rear wing, so I applied the logo onto the colour from last year when CEPSA was the logo. I removed the white stroke from around the Red Bull wordmark on the sidepod and made the Ferrari logo prominent. The main finish is meant to be close in colour to the Red Bull car but it is still a gloss finish and not a matte one. That remains exclusive to Red Bull. Finally, the gold colour was altered slightly to make it fit in with the other colours to my taste.

mY0qcXt.png

Sauber next. It is pretty much finished.

Good job on Toro Rosso. I also usually like their cars more than RB (except this year). So I like that you went the same direction as RB this year.

Renault is actually kinda my team. I was such a fan of the drivers Robert Kubica and especially Nick Heidfeld back in the days that I became a fan of that team. So I was glad that Renault came back as an own team this season with a yellow paint (the kinda matte look is really good imo). I gotta say I don't like your idea as much as I like the actual car. It's just that I think it's better without white and it also reminds of the old Jordan cars (which I really liked).

One suggestion that came me to mind is Brawn GP. One of my favourite teams ever.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

19 hours ago, Pava said:

I like more gold on nose. But white outline around Red Bull is better than yours decision, IMHO

Thanks Pava. Fully legitimate critisicm. I was 50/50 whether to put the white outline in or not. I thought that by not including it that it would create some continuity between both Red Bull teams. You are probably correct that on the Toro Rosso alone it looks better with the outline. Having different opinions is fine though and I appreciate the honest feedback.

15 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

Good job on Toro Rosso. I also usually like their cars more than RB (except this year). So I like that you went the same direction as RB this year.

Renault is actually kinda my team. I was such a fan of the drivers Robert Kubica and especially Nick Heidfeld back in the days that I became a fan of that team. So I was glad that Renault came back as an own team this season with a yellow paint (the kinda matte look is really good imo). I gotta say I don't like your idea as much as I like the actual car. It's just that I think it's better without white and it also reminds of the old Jordan cars (which I really liked).

One suggestion that came me to mind is Brawn GP. One of my favourite teams ever.

Again, I appreciate the honesty Berlin Wall. Different coloured sidepods are a bit of a 'guilty pleasure' of mine when it comes to F1 cars and I have probably used them too much. I find it interesting that different people have different favourites based on what era of F1 influenced them the most. I started watching F1 in 1995 but I am also fascinated by the 70s and 80s too, so I prefer those times to the 2000s and early 2010s. That has definitely had an effect on what designs I prefer. I agree with you that this season's Renault is a great design and I think it is difficult to make a yellow car look bad without doing anything crazy.

I remembered Brawn GP when I was viewing prof's F1 thread (CHECK IT OUT HERE). I will definitely add that to the list of bonus cars.

3 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

Don't get me wrong, I really like your Renault concept. It's just that I like the real all yellow version more. :)

Thanks. I kind of got that impression from your original comment. The explanation you gave really helped too.

Sauber

Moving on to Sauber. It isn't a terrible looking car but it is quite uninspiring. If it wasn't for the Banco do Brasil sponsor logo on the side then it would probably just be plain blue. Sauber will probably struggle again this year due to their financial difficulties. The plain design of the car kind of goes hand in hand with the lack of money - as more sponsors would mean more money.

BCN-Test1-Day1-1-800x374.jpg

I miss the white nose from old Sauber cars such as below. The Petronas sponsorship also worked with the scheme but obviously now they are a main sponsor for Mercedes. They were also sponsored by Red Bull - again now supporting another team. Also, note the different colour wing mirros on the image below for the different drivers. Raikkonen yellow and Heidfeld Red.

sauber-inline.jpg

So to present my concept. I increased the amount of yellow on the side of the car - mainly to stop it from just being all blue. I added the white nose as a throwback to the old Sauber cars. I'm not really a fan of the sponsor logos on the rear wing but I couldn't figure out a better place to put them. It does add some more colour to the car though. Again, I know this isn't the most inspiring individual concept. My aim is a balanced grid and I hope you can all see that once I have posted every car.

9oVebzp.png

McLaren

Moving on to try and get all of the real teams out before the Bahrain GP is over. McLaren are in a big mess right now. The return to Honda powered engines has not been the fairytale story some people might have wanted. To go with all of this, they are running pretty much a plain black livery. Most people will have a distinct favourite look for McLaren and I seriously doubt the current look is amongst the most popular.

_88370681_mclarenpa.jpg

The current look was adopted early on in the 2015 season. Many different reasons were given for the change to black such as reflection issues and catering to their sponsors. I believe it was a political decision surrounding the return of Ron Dennis to his former role and putting his stamp down on the team after the disappointing time under Martin Whitmarsh. This was the initial livery for 2015: 

2mng482.jpg

When I first started watching the sport, McLaren were still running the red and white Marlboro livery made famous from the original McLaren Honda era. I really liked when McLaren were running the chrome and red livery. It did clash with a few of the rear runners over the years but for the most part, they made the chrome/metallic look their own.

mclaren-f1-race-car-06.jpg

So, my concept is pretty much a slight tweak of the initial 2015 car. The silver used is meant to be the ultra reflective chrome look. This may not be popular (sorry Berlin Wall, in particular) but I felt it was the best way to have them differ from other cars on the grid. I didn't want it to be too silver to clash with Mercedes. I didn't want to use the white and red as there are already two white cars on my fictional grid. Lastly, when I saw the real Haas car, it just reminded me of a 'fake' looking McLaren. This is why I went with something which is probably not the 'best' McLaren possible but a compromise to suit the overall grid.

Q6KBehs.png

In my fantasy concepts you will see McLaren listed again. This is to show the other ideas I had but ultimately didn't go with.

Manor

I am actually a big fan of the new look for Manor. They have had a bit of a shuffle off the grid of some of the higher up technical staff. They have switched to a strong Mercedes engine. They've also got two talented drivers that are not just there because they have paid for the privilege. There's a chance that they don't spend all season at the back of the grid. The new logo can be seen below:

logo_small.png

The new car is also an improvement in my eyes:

1456133180.jpg

For my concept, I made just a few tweaks. I continuted the red and blue theme over the entire length of the car. I also moved the shazam sponsor to the sidepod. You will now see that the reason I added more yellow to Sauber was to distinguish it from this car. I kept the 'sublimated' M logo and added the Mercedes logo to the rear wing end support.

XIXG7eG.png

Only Haas to go now.

Haas F1

Last team for the 2016 grid now. The rumoured liveries and concepts for Haas varied from yellow, to red, to black. What they actually went with was a mainly silver scheme with red and black trim. As I said when posting McLaren, I thought it looked like a knock off old McLaren livery. Like what you would see in a video game that didn't own the licenses so had to create fake teams. In terms of Haas' potential, we've had two races and two good finishes. Their partnership with Ferrari has clearly set a solid foundation and has meant that a lot of time that would have been spent designing many components has not been necessary as they have just bought them from Ferrari. They have also recruited a lot of staff from other teams to work with them, so they are not strictly an entirely new team, but still their performances so far have been excellent given the circumstances.

image4.img.640.medium.jpg 

Personally, I thought their livery would be more similar to the Nascar designs of Haas-Stewart cars. This can be seen below.

nascar-cup-daytona-500-2015-kurt-busch-s

So with my concept, I based it heavily off the above image. This meant that red could be included as a nod to Ferrari. Black meant that Haas would have a unique look and not clash with other cars. I included some of the sponsors used in real life and also some 'typical' american ones.

OvjJh9V.png

...and with that we're done.

Archived