Va. Beach Gooners scarf (Arsenal FC supporters' club) – Please help!

BroadSt_Bully

I'm a member of the Virginia Beach Gooners, a local Arsenal supporters' club for the Tidewater area, and I recently tasked myself with designing a scarf for the group.

The main design element unique to our club scarf was to be an ocean wave, borrowed from our crest (designed before I joined; I developed the simplified alternate trident crest).  I rendered the wave over the text – on the away side with a two-tone effect that turned out really well; but, on the home side I had to settle with a simple line stroke. Otherwise, colors would've clashed too much.

0hSfv8r.jpg

After submitting to the group for feedback, it was suggested that all text be made monochromatic and the wave be made bolder.

fgTvFPO.png

So, my questions are these: Does this wave awkwardly and/or excessively fragment the text?  Is there a better way to render the wave on the scarf using the existing color palette while maintaining the legibility and integrity of the design?  It's amazing how such a simple element has proven to be such a thorn in my side.

Feedback and assistance welcome!

(Below is a more realistic rendering.  The fringes, however, would be strictly red and white.)

1457450643_0d36f8a172.png

Fellow Gooner here. I don't the wave breaks up the text in an overly awkward or excessive way; you may have just been staring at it for too long. ^_^ I think you did the right thing positioning it so that it goes through the crossbars of most of the letters. If you want to use the wave in a different way, though, you could get rid of the stroke below the text, push the text down, and use the wave in place of the stroke above the text. 

I really like officeglenn's idea of pushing the text down, removing the strokes and placing the wave above the text. I think that would look really nice. My comment isn't about anything you asked but about the "Arsenal America" text, I think that is going to end up pretty illegible the way you have it. Even in your own renderings it is hard to read then when you factor in that everything on a scarf is knit in it may be very hard to read.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Interesting; I'll give that a go.  I may also use a thicker-weight font that reduces blank space and stitches the wave together.

As for the "Arsenal America" text, it's not so much meant to be legible at distance as it is to be a decorative element that creates a soft transition from the main body of the scarf to its edges.

So, I've been thinking about this all day and actually came up with a completely different solution than what I posted and what has been suggested. In addition to going with a thicker font, I've chosen to focus the wave on the two O's in "GOONERS" by creating a tiered effect.  I feel this is more versatile and can be more easily be applicable to a future wordmark for the club.  The question is, should it be two-tiered (in either style below) or three-tiered?

A:

VBGooners_scarf_HEX_away5.thumb.png.0730

B:

VBGooners_scarf7.thumb.png.a7e840b1af01c

C:

VBGooners_scarf_HEX_away6.thumb.png.39a2

6 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

I quite like the thicker font. I'm leaning toward option A currently, as it makes the most sense to me visually, but I'd like to see it in the red-and-white colorway. 

Here is the home side...

A:

VBGooners_scarf_HEX_home5.thumb.png.911d

B:

VBGooners_scarf_HEX_home7.thumb.png.ac53

C:

VBGooners_scarf_HEX_home6.thumb.png.95cb

Archived